Kimpton Solamar San Diego Leaving IHG on 1/1/20

Old Dec 28, 19, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Kimpton Solamar San Diego Leaving IHG on 1/1/20

I received an Email regarding my upcoming stay in a few weeks- Guess the Kimpton Solamar in San Diego is leaving the brand next week, and will be just the "San Diego Solamar".

The hotel will honor my stay, but all the Kimpton and IHG Benefits won't be honored (I'm Spire also, so that did play into it).

Has anyone gone through this before? What did you end up doing?

It's kind of annoying because had I known in a proper timeframe, I could've taken advantage of some of the Cyber Monday promos, etc... I've never been to SD, and they do have another Kimpton there (I like Kimptons, but it's not mandatory), but now I'm kinda back to square one of deciding where to stay LOL.
Old Dec 28, 19, 6:59 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I’d ask IHG if they can move and honor your reservation to the Palomar or Intercontinental.
Old Jan 4, 20, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
I'm not surprised. I had a horrible stay there in November 2018, with the staff actively trying to avoid any kind of IC recognition. I'd have been better off in a HIX.
Old Jan 4, 20, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

When I spoke to the Solamar they said everything will be the same (including keeping the wine hour etc) just won't earn any points for my stay.... So I'm still debating what to do
Old Jan 4, 20, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Kinda torn between the Indigo vs Palomar (location was a big selling point on the Solamar also)
Old Jan 5, 20, 8:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Other than having a smaller pool deck, the Palomar is a much better hotel (rooms, service, recognition, bar/restaurant) thank the Solamar. The locations are a bit of a wash unless you happen to need to be close to the ball park. Downtown San Diego isnít all that large.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: