Wiki Posts
Search

Regent Taipei Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Regent Taipei Master Thread

How is the breakfast buffet at the Regent? Is it worth paying for just that than access to the Taipan lounge?

I've stayed at the Regent, Taipei before and got a room with Taipan lounge access and enjoyed the private dining and the light snacks throughout the day. I'm booking another trip this December and I will be traveling with my parents and siblings. The regular/ premier room of course is cheaper. But after adding breakfast, it is roughly the same as getting a Taipan room.

I've also stayed at the Hyatt and enjoyed their morning buffet, although it was extremely crowded.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
I just had a stay in the Regent Taipei in Oct 2019. Personally, I find the breakfast to be good. It can get busy but typically the queue clears quite fast.

Food wise, there is great selection of local Taiwanese / Chinese dishes, Western, Korean and Japanese food. I have not tried the food at the lounge and as such, I can't comment which is better. There are also juices, fruits and desserts to choose from.

Enjoy your stay.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
I am going to answer my own question - having recently stayed at the Regent again.

The breakfast buffet is indeed excellent in terms of food choices and food quality, although the one at the Hyatt is better (in terms of both). The only thing I do not like about the Hyatt breakfast buffet is that the cafe is extremely crowded (there is a queue to get in, and sometimes you have to upwards of ten minutes, and there are plenty of people with absolutely no manners - reaching over you or shoving you while you're scooping some food off the buffet). None of that at the Regent.

The Tai Pan Lounge has about 70-80% of the food choices available at the cafe downstairs. However, these are the "essential items." The service is much more personal - the staff accommodate your requests. For example, as I am lactose intolerant, I asked for coffee with soy milk. The server gave me heated/ foamed soy milk on a small creamer jug. I tried the same at the cafe downstairs and the server shot me down and said I should just help myself at the buffet (did she realize that the ladle was too big to pour into a coffee cup?). I would still prefer the lounge if you are trying to relax or are in a hurry.
Old May 28, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Update: Was recently told they stopped giving free breakfast for 1 to Amb members eff. May 1st, though old bookings may be grandfathered (as was my case). Also, the dining credit previously given to either Amb or Spire members (not sure which one) was also cut earlier this year. They don't know how things will be with the Jun. programme relaunch.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Stayed in Regent Hotel Taipei recently in Nov 2022. With my IC Royal AMB, I was upgraded to a Club Room facing Taipei 101 Tower, and was granted access to Lounge.
As Diamond member, I was advised not to select breakfast and instead they offer me a shower + shampoo gel pack and dry mango food pack. Hotel was quite full and offered late check out at 1pm.

Had another separate stay using AMEX Fine Hotels & Resorts booking, I was offered USD150 spa credits which you can redeem for spa package or spa amenities under the program. Was provided guaranteed late check out at 4pm and breakfast for 2 at the restaurant. Was not granted lounge access and I didn't ask as I do not foresee myself staying much time in hotel.

I find the restaurant breakfast buffet has more selections compared to the lounge. But restaurant is typically very busy and will be advisable to allow more time to have breakfast there. Breakfast is till 10am daily.
Ghoulish and ninjalot like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 6:03 pm

Hi, I was told by the hotel that IHG annual lounge access gives access to the balcony lounge on the 5th floor, rather than the Taipan (club) lounge. Has anyone experience with it?
Notably it's not open for breakfast meaning we'd have breakfast at the (apparently busy) main restaurant.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Romain_
Hi, I was told by the hotel that IHG annual lounge access gives access to the balcony lounge on the 5th floor, rather than the Taipan (club) lounge. Has anyone experience with it?
Notably it's not open for breakfast meaning we'd have breakfast at the (apparently busy) main restaurant.
I have not managed to try it as the front office was not able to validate the Annual Lounge Pass on my apps. They have shared that it will be on the balcony lounge on 5th Floor for access and there will be some cocktail in the evening.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Points redemption seems surprisingly low. Any recent reviews? I am IHG Diamond and Ambassador. What can I expect for mid April stay?

Last edited by fmkgb; Mar 23, 2023 at 5:05 pm
Old Mar 26, 2023, 1:48 am
jxd

Originally Posted by fmkgb
Points redemption seems surprisingly low. Any recent reviews? I am IHG Diamond and Ambassador. What can I expect for mid April stay?
Stayed for 3 nights in Dec. No upgrade was given due to full occupancy, but based on past reviews they're pretty stingy on upgrades. Breakfast was top notch, one of the best in the city. The lobby was grand and opulent, but that's where it ends. Rooms are old and dated, but well maintained. They're still using physical keys! The Hotel is huge so don't expect any personalized service, the staff are nice and polite but it's a business hotel after all. Just don't expect too much and it's a fine hotel, just that there are much better hotels in the city at this price point.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by jxd
Stayed for 3 nights in Dec. No upgrade was given due to full occupancy, but based on past reviews they're pretty stingy on upgrades. Breakfast was top notch, one of the best in the city. The lobby was grand and opulent, but that's where it ends. Rooms are old and dated, but well maintained. They're still using physical keys! The Hotel is huge so don't expect any personalized service, the staff are nice and polite but it's a business hotel after all. Just don't expect too much and it's a fine hotel, just that there are much better hotels in the city at this price point.
Similar observations as well. Stayed from 31 Dec 2022 to 3 Jan 2023. Hotel was fully booked out and no upgrades was given. Breakfast is very nice with extensive spread, but can expect long queues in particular from 830am onwards till 10am. Rooms are dated and I was given a room near the lift lobby and I can hear the kids running down the lobby every now and then, as I was given the room with balcony which appears to be popular with family stay.

As I was checking in on 31 Dec 2022, they no longer honour the IC Royal AMB status and hence, no access to the Taipan club lounge. No compensation for unable to provide room upgrades too. Late checkout was extended to 1pm as hotel was fully booked out. While staff is nice, they may not appear to be knowledgeable about local scene. I was trying to ask on the opening hours of post office (after the long new year period) to send some items to friends in TW and they were not able to advise. Had problem trying to use the annual lounge pass for the lounge on 5th floor as it appears that staff were not briefed on the usage. In the end, I chose not to use it since I was out of the hotel during the daytime anyway.

Room is still comfy for the stay and in a good location which is well connected via the subway train stations a few min walk from the hotel.
Old May 5, 2023, 4:26 am

Stayed as Diamond Ambassador with 3 rooms. Rooms were allocated late without upgrade despite higher category rooms bookable, lounge access not explained despite asking about it. Went to Balcony Lounge after reading here and was walked through well.

Wouldn't choose this hotel again despite great location due to lack of proper lounge and outdated rooms.
Old May 19, 2023, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by jxd
They're still using physical keys!
Wow....
This is supposed to be a 5 star property ?!
Old Sep 10, 2023, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Wow....
This is supposed to be a 5 star property ?!
Yes.. And during check-in, be sure to check how many physical keys that they have issued to you. I was issued one physical key and during check-out, they was asking for the 2nd key which I had to inform them that I was issued one set of key and they had to check to confirm. I guess if the guest loses one physical card, the guest will need to pay for the replacement.
ernestnywang, hikouki and HadesNL like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 7:41 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Just completed a 4night stay for work. Upon check in (entry level room booked directly with the hotel with corporate rate, no IHG status), I was upgraded to a king size bed room on the 20th floor with the bed on the floor, so to speak, and a small couch and living room area. Was told this is so my daughter (travelling with me and my wife) would not ‘fall from the bed’. Anyway, decent room though dated. Not many sockets by the bed though, if any at all.

Breakfast selection OK, generous, though 80/20 Asian vs Western. Quite OK gym and nice rooftop pool. Quite packed though the breakfast area every day. In general big crowds, good service, but dated.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: UA G MM, AS 75K MVP, Delta Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Gold, PC Spire
Taipei Lounge

Quick question- Club Regent is $4900+10%+5%. more for a point booking. Is this worth the added costs? Are wine and champagnes basic in the lounge? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.