FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IHG Platinum Strategy Advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1992776-ihg-platinum-strategy-advice.html)

kitbag1984 Oct 25, 2019 1:39 pm

IHG Platinum Strategy Advice

After some advice around best way to get IHG platinum. Do IHG have a standard membership renewal year?>. I am 8k off getting platinum and would like to make that if only for the extra point bonus. But also want to hit Hilton gold challenge.

I have 3 stays coming up.
1 x November of one night
1 x December of 5 nights
1 x January 5 nights
1 x January

I have no accelerate but do have access to the new 4X offer from IHG and 2X offer from Hilton. Any advice would be appreciated. I also have the iHG credit card. What would you do in this situation

halamadrid Oct 25, 2019 3:47 pm

Don't you already have IHG Platinum since you have the credit card?

kitbag1984 Oct 25, 2019 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by halamadrid (Post 31666514)
Don't you already have IHG Platinum since you have the credit card?

No. Only have the free card so I知 gold.

Happy to book a bonus points stay. But not sure when the membership year expires

6P&E Oct 25, 2019 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by kitbag1984 (Post 31666633)
No. Only have the free card so I’m gold.

The Premier IHG World Elite automatically gives you Platinum. The annual free night more than makes up for the card's annual fee and you get 10X the Rewards Points on IHG stays per dollar charged.

Spend $200, get 2000 points. These points count towards Spire status as well.

FlyerTalker324193 Oct 26, 2019 1:55 am

Originally Posted by kitbag1984 (Post 31666146)
After some advice around best way to get IHG platinum. Do IHG have a standard membership renewal year?

Most commonly, the membership year coincides with the calendar year. But it's not true in each and every scenario so I recommend checking your (digital) membership card.

halamadrid Oct 26, 2019 2:00 am

No. Only have the free card so I知 gold.

Happy to book a bonus points stay. But not sure when the membership year expires

From the number of stays you mention it seems like you'd really benefit from having the Premier card (even without taking into account the annual free night). The annual fee of $89 probably makes sense for you. No judgement here, just think that you should really consider it.

Now to answer your question, membership goes by calendar year so if you are trying to qualify for platinum (or maintain gold) you need to complete the required activity before the 2019 calendar year ends.

FlyerTalker324193 Oct 26, 2019 2:09 am

Originally Posted by halamadrid (Post 31667533)
Now to answer your question, membership goes by calendar year so if you are trying to qualify for platinum (or maintain gold) you need to complete the required activity before the 2019 calendar year ends.

If you look at what you quoted:

But not sure when the membership year expires [my highlighting]

It usually expires at the end of the calendar year, yes. But there are exceptions (for instance, due to status match promotions or due to the shifts to the membership level duration due to Ambassador).

minz56 Oct 26, 2019 4:58 am

Purchase an Ambassador membership for $200 and get Platinum status. Or am I being too simplistic?

Although I agree that given the OP's travel profile the credit card might be a better option going forward.

kitbag1984 Oct 26, 2019 7:28 am

Thanks all for your responses. Just to add I am a UK citizen so we only get platinum by spending 」99 per year on a credit card. I知 just trying to work out the best way to get both with my current situation I suppose going forward it would make sense just to buy platinum via the credit card

zebranz Oct 26, 2019 7:36 am

Originally Posted by minz56 (Post 31667781)
Purchase an Ambassador membership for $200 and get Platinum status. Or am I being too simplistic?

Although I agree that given the OP's travel profile the credit card might be a better option going forward.

Depends on whether most of the stays are at Intercontinental Hotels which provides for the upgrade, late check out, etc.

I find having both the cc and Ambassador worthwhile.

BrightlyBob Oct 27, 2019 2:09 am

Hi I知 from the UK and have the IHG Mastercard as I find it worth the 」99 cost with its initial 20,000 signup points (upon spending 」200 in first 3 months) which I easily value at 」100 (in fact I completed a 」190 redemption for 20,000 points last week) and thereafter the annual free night cert awarded upon renewal if you致e spent over 」10,000 in the year. The card comes with IHG Plat which clears immediately upon the card being agreed - I know this because I got my wife one earlier this year. Zero status to Plat overnight!

baroqen Oct 29, 2019 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by kitbag1984 (Post 31668043)
Thanks all for your responses. Just to add I am a UK citizen so we only get platinum by spending 」99 per year on a credit card. I知 just trying to work out the best way to get both with my current situation I suppose going forward it would make sense just to buy platinum via the credit card

Do you ever stay at Intercontinental properties?

I'd buy Ambassador status which will elevate your Gold to Platinum and get the extra perks at ICs as well as the free weekend night voucher which usually pays for itself.