Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the status match between IHG and China Southern Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 2:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by baroqen
Hopping onto a train to get to CAN suddenly didn't seem such a bad idea.
Even if there was a train station anywhere close to CAN, going there from HK would still be an awful idea (price difference aside).
:D! likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Even if there was a train station anywhere close to CAN, going there from HK would still be an awful idea (price difference aside).
I thought I mentioned it, but I seem to have forgotten. If I was actually *in* HK, you would be correct that CAN would be silly, but both CAN and HKG require some travel for me to to get to. While HKG is a relatively easy trip, the unrest makes it a lot more questionable.

As I said, the risk of having my flight cancelled was a serious concern. I certainly don't relish the thought of dragging my kids on an hour and a half train ride plus taxi just to get to the CAN airport but the very real possibility that I might have to rebook 4 flights close in at significantly higher prices due to more flight cancellations is certainly worse. Possibly needing to drag my kids through hordes of increasingly violent protestors and police also gives me a little more reason for concern. While bystanders generally haven't been targeted, the situation has been getting worse each week.

I've had friends visiting HK who have been caught up at the edges of protestor actions or harassed for their choice in clothing color. The cops might harass you if you wear black. The protestors might harass you if you wear white (opposite of black), blue (pro-cops), or red (pro-China). Or you might just accidentally get caught up in a misunderstanding or other accident. I wouldn't be too concerned while traveling alone but with two small children I would prefer a guarantee of inconvenience to even a marginal chance of danger.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:57 pm

Would anyone be able to list the details on how to register for this? I have WeChat and searched for the IHG miniapp. Once you open the IHG miniapp, everything is in Chinese and there is no way to translate the text
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by bigcahonna
Would anyone be able to list the details on how to register for this? I have WeChat and searched for the IHG miniapp. Once you open the IHG miniapp, everything is in Chinese and there is no way to translate the text
The promo is currently on hold for a few days.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by moondog
Note to all:
-this is the first first post in my entire history on FT in which I play the "you are (dead) wrong" card
You can play whatever card you want and it won't change my opinion.

There are better resources for people who are into Asian or in particular Chinese programs, but they are definitely not discussed in a whole lot here on flyertalk (and not in English). When you can't even get an individual forum for each of those major Chinese airlines (for the lame reasons you get on talk board), plus the language barrier, I don't see why it's wrong to call people on this forum not caring enough to post many things Asian oriented (especially for CZ who is no longer allianced).

CZ without Skyteam to foreigners on flyertalk is just another Chinese airlines where they use to go to China or fly China domestic. On top of that, CAN is extremely boring for transit and your wifi can't access most international website without a VPN. Definitely not a top choice unless fares are dirt cheap.

I am not into arguing with however you want to play your cards, so feel free to not respond and this will be my only response for you.

Originally Posted by baroqen
Well... Hong Kong does seem to be doing a pretty good job of trying to destroy itself lately...

I actually made plans recently to go to the much further Guangzhou airport rather than fly out of HKG. Between the potential for transportation breakdowns to/from the airport as well as all of the cancelled flights... Hopping onto a train to get to CAN suddenly didn't seem such a bad idea.
Well, the protest is likely to continue cause they are not going to get what they want. I would avoid HKG unless it's just a transit within the airport (or ferry). It's definitely going to help CAN a bit for those that needs to transit to mainland China via ground. It's still very far to go anywhere from CAN. From the airport to city centre takes 40 min to an hour. If you need to go to the proximity of Foshan or Dongguan, it's going to take hours (and you may be stuck in traffic).
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
You can play whatever card you want and it won't change my opinion.

There are better resources for people who are into Asian or in particular Chinese programs, but they are definitely not discussed in a whole lot here on flyertalk (and not in English). When you can't even get an individual forum for each of those major Chinese airlines (for the lame reasons you get on talk board), plus the language barrier, I don't see why it's wrong to call people on this forum not caring enough to post many things Asian oriented (especially for CZ who is no longer allianced).

CZ without Skyteam to foreigners on flyertalk is just another Chinese airlines where they use to go to China or fly China domestic. On top of that, CAN is extremely boring for transit and your wifi can't access most international website without a VPN. Definitely not a top choice unless fares are dirt cheap.
In case you're unaware, CZ has been guaranteed the #1 position in the world's largest airport. Because of this, and some bilaterals they have been working on, their goal of becoming the biggest airline in the world within the next 5 years isn't completely crazy.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:10 pm

Has anyone been able to match the last few days?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by bigcahonna
Has anyone been able to match the last few days?
It's still not back up yet. I will try to update this thread when it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.