Wiki Posts
Search

Qualifying spend on UK IHG Creation card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Qualifying spend on UK IHG Creation card

I wonder if anyone can answer this for me. I'm getting a new kitchen which is a big spend and would like to get the card points/IHG points. I've already re-qualified for Spire this year so would like to push the points earning to next year. I can get the kitchen on 0% finance from the supplier and that can be paid off with a credit card. Something is niggling at the back of my brain that maybe financial products don't qualify for points, in which case it would be a pointless (ha ha) thing to do. Anyone know?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
I've never actually had a transaction go through my IHG card and it not count for earning points.

Could always sign up for a Curve or Revolut account and go through that?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
I've never actually had a transaction go through my IHG card and it not count for earning points.

Could always sign up for a Curve or Revolut account and go through that?
Thanks for the input. I have a Curve card but they do provide more information on the nature of the transaction than they used to, My concern goes back to something I read once about if you funded a financial product with a credit card or linked Curve card that you then liquidate, you could churn the same money endlessly to earn points for no actual cost and there are means in place to prevent that.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
Always had Points irrespective of the spend, including paying for a funeral
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:35 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Creation has limits on Revolut topups and certain Curve transactions.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:05 am
Original Poster

I have an answer to my own question from Creation:

I can confirm if you used your card to clear off your loan you would not accrue any points for this transaction. The system would regard it as a cash transaction.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Hi, can I purchase foreign currency from the likes of M&S or John Lewis using the IHG creation credit card (premium) ?
Will it count as a purchase ?
Will it count towards the £10k spend for the free night voucher ?
Will there be an additional charge for the transaction ?

IF I front it with a Curve card (the legacy black version) how does that change things ?

Thanks ever so much.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:34 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
It depends on how M&S or JL treat credit card payments in their bureaux de change. I can't imagine that they would put them through as purchases though I might be wrong. I would think it will count as a cash withdrawal, attracting a fee, interest and no points.

If you use Curve it may get declined based on how the Creation computer is feeling. Or only transactions below £300 or £700 may be approved (there seems to be an individualised soft limit for Curve-Creation transactions).

If you are thinking of buying foreign currency from one of these chain stores, you might as well get it from Debenhams if you have anything to buy there. You get a £5 off £20 voucher when buying over £50, so you can split a large transaction into several smaller ones and get multiple vouchers. Buy more than you actually need, then you get 20% extra when you convert foreign currency to pounds (in the form of a Debenhams gift card).
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by :D!
Any update on what the restrictions and limits are when using Curve backed by Creations IHG? Keen to avoid cash advance fee’s (and how would you spot them?)
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by :D!
Any update on what the restrictions and limits are when using Curve backed by Creations IHG? Keen to avoid cash advance fee’s (and how would you spot them?)
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:10 am

Curve will charge you 1.5% unless you have the metal card when paying anything gov related.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Tw33ty
Curve will charge you 1.5% unless you have the metal card when paying anything gov related.
That I assumed! I’m more wondering about other financial service purchase / transactions. Unfourt. won’t realise until the interest or charge hits on the next statement
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000
That I assumed! I’m more wondering about other financial service purchase / transactions. Unfourt. won’t realise until the interest or charge hits on the next statement
just pay off your card after the charge hits.

btw regardless of what customer services say never not had points regardless of who it was to.

Curve passes on the MCC to creation so best just using it direct if the merchant takes it.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
just pay off your card after the charge hits..
Will any cash advance charge or interest not show until the statement is produced?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Will any cash advance charge or interest not show until the statement is produced?
there’s no cash advance fee.

There is interest but from what I’ve seen after some recent Revolut MCC changes I still earnt points and 0 interest was on my statement, having paid off the Revolut top up as soon as it hit my account.
pazza2000 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.