Points and Cash stays with respect to Accelerate promotions

Old Sep 11, 19, 1:32 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,069
Points and Cash stays with respect to Accelerate promotions

I need to complete a P&C stay to receive 4.5k bonus points under the latest Accelerate promotion. I want to confirm that this is how this works. I found a HIE that usually charges 20k. The P&C rate is 10k + $60. My plan is to book the hotel using the P&C rate.

My understanding is that booking the hotel is enough for the Accelerate bonus to post. Is this correct?

Once it posted I intend to cancel the reservation. Once I do, are 20k posted back into my account?
michaelr is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:39 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,330
yes. you can cancel once the target is triggerd.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 6:20 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,061
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
yes. you can cancel once the target is triggerd.
Does anyone know of a better deal then $60 for 10,000 points on a points and cash booking? Maybe $50 for 10,000 or $25 for 5000 points.
HHonors OUTSIDER is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:45 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Posts: 5,325
A few weeks ago I saw a P&C rate that asked $28 to save 5,000 points. At 0.56cpp that's the best points-buy I've seen for P&C. Curiously the rates at the hotels I was shopping have gotten markedly worse in the past few weeks. Now I'm often seeing rates that charge north of 1.0cpp.
darthbimmer is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 12:01 am
  #5  
:D!
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aberdeen, Bella Vista and Croydon
Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Posts: 4,426
I did this and received the accelerate bonus immediately upon booking and paying, then I instantly cancelled (and rebooked at the hotel I actually wanted to stay). I paid $33 for 5000 points while the hotel I actually wanted to stay at was charging $60.

It just happened that these hotels were very close to each other, which helped reduce the search time, but any hotel should work and there is no need to actually book again.
:D! is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 4:24 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UK
Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Posts: 241
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
I did this and received the accelerate bonus immediately upon booking and paying, then I instantly cancelled (and rebooked at the hotel I actually wanted to stay). I paid $33 for 5000 points while the hotel I actually wanted to stay at was charging $60.

It just happened that these hotels were very close to each other, which helped reduce the search time, but any hotel should work and there is no need to actually book again.
Be wary with this, I did it last time but by mistake. The dashboard showed triggered but the total, i.e. Completed Offers XX of XX dropped back down. It took a little bit of cajoling to get IHG to add the achievement bonus for completing all offers.
strickers is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 5:16 am
  #7  
:D!
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aberdeen, Bella Vista and Croydon
Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Posts: 4,426
Originally Posted by strickers View Post
Be wary with this, I did it last time but by mistake. The dashboard showed triggered but the total, i.e. Completed Offers XX of XX dropped back down. It took a little bit of cajoling to get IHG to add the achievement bonus for completing all offers.
Interesting. I don't have a bonus for completing all offers this time, and last time I had a bonus for completing 6 of 7 so it didn't matter (it didn't credit immediately last time, and I wasn't expecting it to credit at all but it did after about 2 weeks).
:D! is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 5:32 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Posts: 4,549
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
yes. you can cancel once the target is triggerd.
That was the way it worked for me in May, but my Sept C+P res in two weeks, (the IC KL,) isn't working that way. Only shows the 5k points purchase.. Wsh it would trigger as my goals this time are easy, but I'd love to instead book the HIX KL for $37. Oh well.
rbAA is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 2:00 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,069
I am the OP. I did end up booking a P&C stay. The Accelerate bonus posted right away or very soon after making the reservation and buying the points. I had intended to actual use the stay but did end up canceling the reservation. The Accelerate bonus has been left untouched.
michaelr is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 11:44 am
  #10  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 15,159
This may be a stupid question but are Bonus Points Package and Points and Cash which you mention here one and the same thing. I cannot find any rates for Bonus Point reservations. This may be so basic but I just wish to be sure

One of my Tasks is "Earn 6,600 bonus points when you book 3 Bonus Points Package stay(s) and get to your next reward faster."
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 11:47 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,330
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
This may be a stupid question but are Bonus Points Package and Points and Cash which you mention here one and the same thing. I cannot find any rates for Bonus Point reservations. This may be so basic but I just wish to be sure

One of my Tasks is "Earn 6,600 bonus points when you book 3 Bonus Points Package stay(s) and get to your next reward faster."
No. They aren't the same.

Bonus Point Packages are where you book a flexible rate and click the button to add points for extra $$$.
Points Scrounger likes this.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 11:52 am
  #12  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 15,159
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
No. They aren't the same.

Bonus Point Packages are where you book a flexible rate and click the button to add points for extra $$$.
Thank you!
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Oct 22, 19, 7:23 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: US, HH
Posts: 697
O
Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
I am the OP. I did end up booking a P&C stay. The Accelerate bonus posted right away or very soon after making the reservation and buying the points. I had intended to actual use the stay but did end up canceling the reservation. The Accelerate bonus has been left untouched.
My cash & points reservation did not trigger the dashboard to update nor points to post. I completed the stay as planned, and it still hasn’t updated the dashboard. I sent a missing points inquiry to IHG with the expected “wait” reply. I’ll give it a couple more weeks and follow up again.
GrjApp is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 1:40 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,330
Originally Posted by GrjApp View Post
O

My cash & points reservation did not trigger the dashboard to update nor points to post. I completed the stay as planned, and it still hasn’t updated the dashboard. I sent a missing points inquiry to IHG with the expected “wait” reply. I’ll give it a couple more weeks and follow up again.
Did you book it before the latest version of Accelerate started?

The target doesn't require the actual stay to be triggered but DOES need to be booked during the promo period.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:12 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: US, HH
Posts: 697
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Did you book it before the latest version of Accelerate started?

The target doesn't require the actual stay to be triggered but DOES need to be booked during the promo period.
Booked after it started, yes. Actually cancelled the original all award reservation and replaced with the c&p.
GrjApp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread