FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Berlin Best IHG Properties (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1986083-berlin-best-ihg-properties.html)

Concerto Sep 5, 2019 3:00 pm

Berlin Best IHG Properties

Like the other thread I started on the best IHG properties in Bangkok, I believe that the responses here will indicate that it depends on which part of the city you want to spend your time in. However, I didn't find anything that resumes the best of the best in Berlin, so I thought this was worth a punt.

The Regent looks interesting, although it is a bit dear for the night I will be there. I was looking at the two main Indigo hotel choices, one at Alexanderplatz and the other on Ku'damm, and feedback seems to indicate that these hotels all sit uncomfortably within the brand. The main criticism is that the rooms are very small, but nothing can be as small as the rooms I experienced in the Indigo Brooklyn! However, there is a new Indigo in Berlin, the East Side Gallery. Is there any feedback for that one?

Flying Lawyer Sep 5, 2019 3:11 pm

I used that for a quick night in the East. Walking distance to the Ostbahnhof and a bit of boutique feeling, rooms were well sized,

speed.skater Sep 5, 2019 6:03 pm

delete

demue Sep 5, 2019 7:32 pm

I also need to be in Berlin in Nov and normally would just stay at the IC, but it seems totally sold out on and around the dates required.

As we need to be near KaDeWe we wanted something in walking distance aside from the crappy CP on Nürnberger Str so we picked the Indigo KuDamm. Rooms are not that huge, but booking the top Executive category supposedly gives at least the biggest room in the house (6th floor IIRC).

Was also considering CP Potsdamer Platz (which isn't actually at Potsdamer Platz) or Regent, but location around KaDeWe was key for us this time as some folks tagging along are not so mobile. YMMV.

Chinatrvl Sep 5, 2019 10:28 pm

Indigo East Side is a solid new property, opened Nov 2018. Good size rooms Location there is ok for eveming, great if you have business around the area.

Top floor rooms of indigo Kudamm come with a nice terrace, yet are still on the smallish side. Perfectly fine for one person or a short stay though
My currently favorite property for location and staff.

Regent is a great place, especially when you get a good rate, significantly better than the Ritz that I usually (have to) stay.

Concerto Sep 6, 2019 2:17 am

Indeed, rates are very high for the time I want to be there. I usually associate Berlin with cheap hotel rooms so I guess something must be going on, a Messe perhaps. I will make a Points & Cash booking because such a booking is one of my current Accelerate tasks.

Thanks Flying Lawyer, I will give the Indigo East Side and report back here. I suppose the HI and HIX options are the usual hotels of those brands, good enough but not anything special.

speed.skater Sep 6, 2019 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 31496141)
I will make a Points & Cash booking because such a booking is one of my current Accelerate tasks.

P+C is usually bad value with IHG. Therefore, I'd recommend not doing a "real" stay using P+C. Instead, optimize P+C such that you buy a small number of points (ideally, just 5k points) at a halfway decent ratio.

You can then cancel the P+C booking. The Accelerate task will still be solved.

Flying Lawyer Sep 6, 2019 8:53 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 31495418)
I also need to be in Berlin in Nov and normally would just stay at the IC, but it seems totally sold out on and around the dates required.

As we need to be near KaDeWe we wanted something in walking distance aside from the crappy CP on Nürnberger Str so we picked the Indigo KuDamm. Rooms are not that huge, but booking the top Executive category supposedly gives at least the biggest room in the house (6th floor IIRC).

Was also considering CP Potsdamer Platz (which isn't actually at Potsdamer Platz) or Regent, but location around KaDeWe was key for us this time as some folks tagging along are not so mobile. YMMV.

You are aware that this Indigo is about 1 1/2 km away from KaDwE and is located on Hardenbergstraße, ain't you?

Concerto Sep 6, 2019 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by speed.skater (Post 31496530)
P+C is usually bad value with IHG. Therefore, I'd recommend not doing a "real" stay using P+C. Instead, optimize P+C such that you buy a small number of points (ideally, just 5k points) at a halfway decent ratio.

Yes, Points & Cash stays are not the best, but they are not too loss making too. To be honest, I was happy to have done P+C for the IC Malta because it just saved me some hard cash for those days (I paid $50 of points a night plus 20,000 points from my account, not too bad for an IC). For the next Accelerate one of my tasks is a P+C booking and cash rates are rather high when I will be there. Plus, because none of my Accelerate tasks have been posting automatically, I do not think that cancelling the booking will help me. It will require a phone call to sort it out.

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 31497147)
You are aware that this Indigo is about 1 1/2 km away from KaDwE and is located on Hardenbergstraße, ain't you?

Do you mean the Indigo Ku'damm, or the new one in the east? For me it is not a problem because I don't mind where I stay (as long as I can get to it reasonably easily from Schönefeld).

tom tulpe Sep 6, 2019 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl (Post 31495742)
Top floor rooms of indigo Kudamm come with a nice terrace, yet are still on the smallish side. Perfectly fine for one person or a short stay though
My currently favorite property for location and staff.

I'd second that. Other than the room size, it's a thoroughly nice property on the top floor at least (I've always been upgraded to one of the rooms there). Good breakfast as well.

tom tulpe Sep 6, 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 31497147)

Very walkable. Or one stop on the U2 if you really have to.

Flying Lawyer Sep 6, 2019 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by tom tulpe (Post 31498104)
Very walkable. Or one stop on the U2 if you really have to.

Some American friends would never walk a mile :-) I just wanted to point out to that poster - who wanted the proximity to KADEWE - that this place is neither close to this place nor on Ku'damm. And before I hop on the U2 I would take one of the several busses

Concerto Sep 6, 2019 2:52 pm

I just walked 16km today, completing part of the Oberhausener Rundweg. Talk about versteckte Schönheiten!
Similarly, in Berlin I will probably just walk everywhere, using the U-Bahn or buses to get quickly to areas I want to visit.
But I recognize that your post wasn't directed at me. Just wanted to acknowledge that Germany is a walkers paradise!

tom tulpe Sep 6, 2019 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 31498434)
Some American friends would never walk a mile :-) I just wanted to point out to that poster - who wanted the proximity to KADEWE - that this place is neither close to this place nor on Ku'damm. And before I hop on the U2 I would take one of the several busses

The buses will take you no further than Zoo station either.

Concerto Sep 6, 2019 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by speed.skater (Post 31496530)

Well, I have to say you are right. My Accelerate task for the P+C booking was ticked off immediately, so I could do as you suggest and just cancel the P+C booking. It cost USD89 to buy 15,000 points and I used 15,000 for the night. Think I will probably end up leaving it like that, because rates are not cheap on that night...unless I want to check in to the Holiday Inn Berlin City East - Landsberger, which is €84 on the night I want.