Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Yokohama Pier 8 Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Plataimond, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH, OneWorld Boarding Group 5
InterContinental Yokohama Pier 8 Master Thread

I suppose it’s nice to have options. And this is a very pretty location right on the harbor in Yokohama (it’s just across the harbor from the IC Yokohama Grand).

And I realize ICHG can’t open any properties in Japan without the approval of ANA Hotels.

But seriously, the last thing we needed in the Tokyo area is ANOTHER IC that will cost 45000 yen per night, won’t be eligible for credit card free nights, and will likely cost 50,000 points per night (to be increased by 5k every 18 months), assuming the hotel doesn’t embargo points redemptions like The Strings does.

Hey ANA. Can we get a friggin’ Holiday Inn around these parts? A Crowne Plaza even? As it is, it’s impossible to stay in Kantou (outside of the ANA CP Narita) without blowing a huge amount of yen or points. Japanese ICs are lovely, but sometimes all you want is a bed, an OK restaurant and bar, and limited room service.

https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...yh/hoteldetail
partickboy and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:17 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold, Accor Gold
It's a beautiful area but I don't understand why they're building it so close to the current Yokohama IC. Still, the Yokohama Grand is certainly starting to show its age so it'll be nice to have a nice and modern alternative, hopefully with a better lounge (and hopefully with better staff who aren't only concerned about wedding-related guests).

But yeah, just another expensive hotel in the Tokyo area, back when I used to visit I always stayed at the CP Ikebukuro (now Metropolitan) as they always had reasonable redemption rates. They really need to add some hotels that cater to those on more of a budget.
keihin_242 and rt23456p like this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Really? It's been about a year since this place opened and nobody has reported on it yet?

I thought this was Flyertalk.
keihin_242 and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Really? It's been about a year since this place opened and nobody has reported on it yet?

there should be some ra experiences.
Nice property in a great location. Outstanding staff, state of the art rooms.
Good place to spend a few days when on layover at HND.
keihin_242 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 11:39 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by hailstorm

Sorry, but my only trip to Yokohama was Dec 2019 before it opened, and I stayed at the IC Grand. I did walk around the area of the Pier 8 but it's a low rise building with many cranes around the port area. The views look nice from the room photos online, but the Grand has great views, especially from the high floors, and nice and close to the rail transportation. I liked the Grand and especially liked the low price. I paid like JPY14000 including tax, plus got the JPY2000 F&B voucher which was sufficient for a lite morning "breakfast snack," as I was flying back to BKK and used the JL lounge at HND for breakfast.
keihin_242 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:07 am

Recently stayed here for one night using my free night certificate. Took a limousine bus from HND airport to IC Yokohama Grand and walked 10 mins to get to IC Yokohama Pier 8. At check in, the front desk agent was really friendly and informed me of my benefits as a Platinum Elite member. Was offered two choices as my welcome amenity which was either a drink of my choice or points. Took the points. Was also informed that I would receive 2 pm late checkout. No upgrade was available for my stay. The room I stayed in was a classic king room. The interior of the room looked new and modern and was very nice. TV was equip with screen mirroring which was connected to the bathroom. In the minibar, non alcoholic drinks were free of charge. At the top of the hotel, there is a rooftop deck which oversees the ocean and parts of Yokohama which are exclusive to only hotel guests. Location wise the hotel is in the same building as Hammerhead which has a 7-11, Starbucks, and other restaurants. In addition to this, the hotel is central to everything with it being a 10-15 min walk to the Cup Noodle Museum, Red Brick Warehouse, Cosmoworld, and World Porters. Overall, I had a nice stay and would come back next time I'm in the area.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any reviews with Ambassador benefits?
(booked standard twin room with Chase premium award. )
Estimate of taxi fare from YCAT bus terminal where bus from NRT arrives?
Estimate of taxi to Daikoku Pier?
rt23456p likes this.

Last edited by fmkgb; Apr 3, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Old May 25, 2023, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
We did a two night stay on a Club Intercontinental booking.

The location is really good a Yokohama stay. If coming by public transport, it is a 10 minute walk from Bashamichi on the Minatomirai subway line, a couple of minutes more from Minatomirai station, and probably 15 minutes from Sakuragicho. The taxi questions above would be 1700 to 2700 yen estimated. The red sightseeing bus line runs to both Bashamichi and Sakuragicho stations. Plus Chinatown and other major points of interest in Yokohama.

We officially received no upgrade, there are really not that many options, apart from changing views the majority of the rooms are the same. As a compensation for no ambassador upgrade we were offered a choice between 10,000 points or 5,000 yen hotel credit. We got a room on the 5th floor facing the hammerhead crane, so I'd say we did still win in the room assignment lottery. There are just the corner rooms as suites, so really few for the property. 2,000 yen hotel credit as ambassador and one welcome drink as platinum.

The Room was quite large for Japan, the layout with the bathroom kind of separating the entrance and wardrobe from the main part og the room was a bit odd. But worked out pretty well.

The Club served breakfast, afternoon tea, and cocktail hour. Breakfast was a choice of four different sets, and in the last 30 minutes counted as brunch so eggs benedict is added as an option. Afternoon tea is quite classic. Evening snacks from 17:30 to 19:30 and last order for drinks and desserts at 20:30. The quality of the food served is quite good, and the staff excellent.

The hotel offers a free harbour cruise at 14:20, 16:20 and 19:20. If there for multiple days, I'd recommend trying both a day and a night trip. You can bring a small picnic basket for the ride, but nothing is offered. The 7-11 in the building is famous for their craft beer selection, and has snacks that are above the usual 7-11 level as well.

The gym is very small so maybe pack the running shoes and take the jogging path through Minatomirai.

Overall, a really good option in Yokohama, though it can be quite pricey. New and nice facilities, good Club Intercontinental, very welcoming and excellent staff. No turndown service and very small gym as the negatives.

Room

Room

Room

View from the room

Club Intercontinental

Club Intercontinental

Afternoon tea time

Cocktail hour

Cocktail hour

Rooftop bar, though not in use as a bar

Actual bar

Actual bar

Steak and poached egg for breakfast

Evening snacks, the warm items plate

Part of the beer selection in the 7-11 in the building

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; May 25, 2023 at 1:11 am
Old Feb 24, 2024, 2:31 pm

do they offer lounge access or free breakfast for platinum members? i am deciding this or Yokohama grand, thanks
Old Feb 24, 2024, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Chris Fong
do they offer lounge access or free breakfast for platinum members? i am deciding this or Yokohama grand, thanks
Lounge access will be if you book Club Intercontinental, or have selected Lounge access as your choice after staying enough nights to get that option.
We normally pay for Club IC, and never really reach status with IHG so I can't remember when and how breakfast kicks in for status, but they will be following the stated rules.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 9:47 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Chris Fong
Same answer as in the Yokohama Grand thread. They are very by the book and your Platinum status does not grant much in the form of guaranteed benefits at an IC. You may get a better room (could be higher floor or different view) and maybe slightly later check out on request, but aside from that expect nothing.

You want breakfast then I suggest to book a breakfast inclusive rate (only Diamonds can chose breakfast as a welcome amenity). You want Club, book a Club rate (only Royal Ambassador get Club upgrade guaranteed).

Japanese hotels (especially the ICs) are by the book and follow the rules closely. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.