Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Discussion of InterContinental Hotels in California - as Royal Ambassador

Old Aug 14, 19, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan

currently half way through a four night stay at the San Francisco IC, has anyone stayed at both, Mark Hopkins, and the San Fran?

they gave us the Bay suite here, whilst nice, was bit small for 5 pax, so we moved into two suites adjacent to each other.

currently under construction which is never great, lub lounge offering is pretty good relative to other US properties.

i'd be interested to hear from anyone that's stayed at both to contrast, the better quality property, and generosity fn respect of upgrades?

also any advice re the two LA properties, which is better? headed that way on way to San Diego.
Old Aug 14, 19, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien View Post
i'd be interested to hear from anyone that's stayed at both to contrast, the better quality property, and generosity fn respect of upgrades?

also any advice re the two LA properties, which is better? headed that way on way to San Diego.
I recommend reading the master threads for those SF properties which are full of good info. For LA the top 3 factors are location, location, and location.
Old Aug 14, 19, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
currently half way through a four night stay at the San Francisco IC, has anyone stayed at both, Mark Hopkins, and the San Fran?
Stay put - you are in the right place. Honestly!

Ii stayed only once at the MH.
The location has views, but in other respects the location is something of a trial.
Rooms tend to the cosy, chinzty and drab: though the grand suites might well be better.
They didn't try very hard with the RA stuff, whereas the other IC has exceeded expectations
The lounge was an annexe to the reception - maybe this was an emergency feature on my stay, but that was not the impression I got.

There again, perhaps you should try it, for the experience, Though doing so with 4 others in tow might not be he time for that
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat

they gave us the Bay suite here, whilst nice, was bit small for 5 pax, so we moved into two suites adjacent to each other.

currently under construction which is never great, lub lounge offering is pretty good relative to other US properties.

I have stayed at both several times and would say that the Howard Street IC is better than the MH in every respect (although that is a very low bar to pass) unless you simply must be in the somewhat idiosyncratic location of the MH. The rooms and suites I have had at the MH are borderline unacceptable.

I did however have an absolutely awful experience on my last stay at the IC SF where they had not intended to give me any upgrade at all (initially putting me in the room I paid for and making me wait for 5 hours after normal check in time to get the upgraded suite I should have had). The way this was handled was pretty appalling as was the lack of proactivity and comms throughout. I was offered a full refund (but this was right at the end of the AMB year last year and the additional spend may have been critical in renewing RA this year). I did however get a large number of points instead.

I think the best part of the property is the good restaurant downstairs and the club lounge. Otherwise you could be in a Crowne Plaza. This particular property is on my "over my dead body list" so I will never stay there again.

I do hope you are stopping by the fab IC Monterey on your journey from SF to LA, that property in comparison to the IC SF is a rather class (if somewhat imperfect) act. As for LA, location is important, for leisure purposes the downtown location isn't terribly optimal, whereas the Century City property is very well located for me in LA, however the downtown property seems to be a far better hotel overall from what I read. I have always been treated very well at Century City though.
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a quick word for the Mark, if you are upgraded to one of the nicer renovated upper floor exec rooms or suites they are very, very nice and have some of the best views of any IC in the world. But most of the rooms are not so good and do not have views.
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Just a quick word for the Mark, if you are upgraded to one of the nicer renovated upper floor exec rooms or suites they are very, very nice and have some of the best views of any IC in the world. But most of the rooms are not so good and do not have views.
Assume they are still a bit on the small side though?
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
Assume they are still a bit on the small side though?
The speciality suites are not at all small. They are quite large with good sized terraces and amazing views. I was upgraded last time to a very nice upper floor exec room which was just a bit larger than a normal room and very nicely appointed. This was after the first upgraded room on a lower floor, which was indeed large but had some severe problems that lead me going back downstairs and asking for a different room. It is an old hotel and the rooms are not all cookie cutter. Most are rather small, but some are meant for entertainment.
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC EY IC RA Marriott Titanium, ALL Diamond

I love the IC Downtown (5 stays so far) - great Club Lounge on 70th floor (no Club in Century City). Club personnel very keen to help and to assure you are happy with room allocation etc.

Was in IC San Diego last month - no prior communication. My email went unanswered for a week, so phoned three days before stay. Was eventually told they only assign rooms on the day for RA's (suites were diminishing daily in number as I watched) so said unless guaranteed suite, would cancel.
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:20 am

Programs: IC RA / Marriott PP+Amb / WOH Globalist / SA Gold
Originally Posted by serendipity1211 View Post
In the paper there was a column saying "VIP" and in my case "6" was filled in the column.

I just thought if someone here has had any chance to see that kind of info or someone has any idea about what the column means?
ICs still use a code '6A' as an indicator of RA.

Absolutely recommend IC SF. MH doesn't care RA much.

For LA, IC LA DWTN is the place. But due to the structure of high rise building, suites on high floors are smaller than lower floors one.
Tim O'Brien likes this.

Last edited by scienm; Aug 15, 19 at 9:32 am
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
The speciality suites are not at all small. They are quite large with good sized terraces and amazing views. I was upgraded last time to a very nice upper floor exec room which was just a bit larger than a normal room and very nicely appointed. This was after the first upgraded room on a lower floor, which was indeed large but had some severe problems that lead me going back downstairs and asking for a different room. It is an old hotel and the rooms are not all cookie cutter. Most are rather small, but some are meant for entertainment.
I have had weird suites at the MH before on upper floors with a sort of odd glass enclosed terrace (like they have tried to turn a balcony into a conservatory on the cheap), with truly appalling layouts, a small bedroom and tiny bathroom. Whilst there was a lot of space, it was just terribly badly laid out and no room really worked well.
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 2:26 pm

Programs: IHG
Stayed at both IC SF and MH as RA a couple of years ago. IC SF (paid stay) is just a huge corporate machine of a hotel, and I felt that RA very much treated as an aside. Decent Club, good mini-bar, poor upgrade. Location in the street-defecation kind of area. Not pleasant, nor did the area feel safe.
IC MH (award stay) was better. Upgrade to 1-Bed Suite. Comped Club and minibar, very nice. Felt more homely, less corporate, and much preferred the location.
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Aug 18, 19, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by turner32 View Post
Stayed at both IC SF and MH as RA a couple of years ago. IC SF (paid stay) is just a huge corporate machine of a hotel, and I felt that RA very much treated as an aside. Decent Club, good mini-bar, poor upgrade. Location in the street-defecation kind of area. Not pleasant, nor did the area feel safe.
IC MH (award stay) was better. Upgrade to 1-Bed Suite. Comped Club and minibar, very nice. Felt more homely, less corporate, and much preferred the location.
i fully agree. The ICSF is a better CP. The MH is a classic ofd fashioned hotel
Tim O'Brien likes this.
Old Aug 18, 19, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Stay put - you are in the right place. Honestly!

Ii stayed only once at the MH.
The location has views, but in other respects the location is something of a trial.
Rooms tend to the cosy, chinzty and drab: though the grand suites might well be better.
They didn't try very hard with the RA stuff, whereas the other IC has exceeded expectations
The lounge was an annexe to the reception - maybe this was an emergency feature on my stay, but that was not the impression I got.

There again, perhaps you should try it, for the experience, Though doing so with 4 others in tow might not be he time for that
the club is currently the sixth floor, they were renovating on the grade level. good quality, great views.

i ended up getting on well with a very helpful MOD James, who really did a great job, gave me a second room for $149, when online they were running $350 for AAA rate, no questions over mini bar, and all round very nice stay.
Old Aug 18, 19, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
I have stayed at both several times and would say that the Howard Street IC is better than the MH in every respect (although that is a very low bar to pass) unless you simply must be in the somewhat idiosyncratic location of the MH. The rooms and suites I have had at the MH are borderline unacceptable.

I did however have an absolutely awful experience on my last stay at the IC SF where they had not intended to give me any upgrade at all (initially putting me in the room I paid for and making me wait for 5 hours after normal check in time to get the upgraded suite I should have had). The way this was handled was pretty appalling as was the lack of proactivity and comms throughout. I was offered a full refund (but this was right at the end of the AMB year last year and the additional spend may have been critical in renewing RA this year). I did however get a large number of points instead.

I think the best part of the property is the good restaurant downstairs and the club lounge. Otherwise you could be in a Crowne Plaza. This particular property is on my "over my dead body list" so I will never stay there again.

I do hope you are stopping by the fab IC Monterey on your journey from SF to LA, that property in comparison to the IC SF is a rather class (if somewhat imperfect) act. As for LA, location is important, for leisure purposes the downtown location isn't terribly optimal, whereas the Century City property is very well located for me in LA, however the downtown property seems to be a far better hotel overall from what I read. I have always been treated very well at Century City though.
we stopped at the yacht club in Monterey, had a delicious lunch at a crab shack on the pier, highly recommended, delicious food, stunning water views.

i really wanted to stay at the Monterey property, but they told me it had been fully booked for a year, due to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, we saw plenty of great cars travelling through Big Sur, beautiful part of the world. relaxed lunch, and photo stops, it was an 11 hour drive, but well worth it.

in LA currently, and staying at the the downtown property. the Century City property was booked out, and they ended up giving me a reasonable deal here. the king rooms allowing for their max two tier upgrade to 1 bed suite category were going for $455, and the MOD gave me two @ $347 each, i was happy with that. the 1 bed suites are going for $700.

the 70th floor reception is a bit of a scene, with the bar, lounge views are excellent, really stunning overlooking the city, and hills. nice outdoor pool, and reasonable parking @$50.
Old Aug 18, 19, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmeraldLady View Post
I love the IC Downtown (5 stays so far) - great Club Lounge on 70th floor (no Club in Century City). Club personnel very keen to help and to assure you are happy with room allocation etc.

Was in IC San Diego last month - no prior communication. My email went unanswered for a week, so phoned three days before stay. Was eventually told they only assign rooms on the day for RA's (suites were diminishing daily in number as I watched) so said unless guaranteed suite, would cancel.
yes, great club here, spectacular views, large, nice clean new space.

i wasn't aware Century City didn't have a club, that would have made my mind up.

i spoke with San Diego before i left the east coast, and confirmed their max standard RA upgrade to a 950 sqft north facing ocean suite, so hopefully they'll stand by that agreement, headed that way tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: