Ambassador Weekend certificate - some maths being Ambassador

Old Aug 12, 19, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG
Ambassador Weekend certificate - some maths being Ambassador

Hi together,

i have a questions regarding the Ambassador free Weekend certificate.

we Plan to stay at the IC Miami Downtown.
room rate is 469 for Club King per Night.
plus 13% tax
plus 25 USD Resort fee
—> this is the Price per Night.

can anyone answer me the following being Ambassador:
- 2 nd night should be free - what about the taxes for that night?
- what about the resort fee for 2nd night?
- how do they handle the Ambassador benefits like room upgrade on a weekend certificate night?

thanks for your help
marcel

Old Aug 13, 19, 5:06 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Don't know about the IC MIA Dwntwn, but a recent BOGO stay at IC NY TS was taxes only for paid night & destination fee for both nights. For award nights both taxes and fees don't apply.
Old Aug 13, 19, 6:47 am

Programs: FB Platinum; IHG Spire Ambassador
I had 6 BOGO stays in 5 different IC's in the last 6 years and always received a room upgrade.
Old Aug 15, 19, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by marcello1982 View Post
Hi together,

i have a questions regarding the Ambassador free Weekend certificate.

we Plan to stay at the IC Miami Downtown.
room rate is 469 for Club King per Night.
plus 13% tax
plus 25 USD Resort fee
—> this is the Price per Night.

can anyone answer me the following being Ambassador:
- 2 nd night should be free - what about the taxes for that night?
- what about the resort fee for 2nd night?
- how do they handle the Ambassador benefits like room upgrade on a weekend certificate night?

thanks for your help
marcel
From the Ambassador T&Cs, you should get the second night free as the rate and tax are covered by the certificate (#29 below). However, you may still have to pay the resort fee, this isn't mentioned in the Ambassador T&Cs. You should also get a room upgrade for both nights (#31 below):

Complimentary Weekend Night

23. The complimentary weekend night may be redeemed up to 12 months from the date on which the credit is issued and is redeemable only in conjunction with a minimum two-night paid weekend stay when booking the Ambassador Weekend rate "Ambassador Complimentary Weekend Night" at any InterContinental Hotels & Resorts property (not valid at any other IHG® brands of hotels).

24. The complimentary weekend night may only be redeemed via intercontinental.com/​ambweekend or by contacting the Ambassador Service Center at Tel: US & Canada - 1 888 211 7996. UK - +44 (0)20 33 499 034; Mainland China - 800 830 1128 (86 21 2033 4848 for outside Mainland China; call charges apply); Rest of World - +44 870 400 9099. (Calls cost 13p per minute plus your phone company's access charge). It is not valid and cannot be used on any other rates. Advance reservations required and when joining the Ambassador program in hotel, the weekend night cannot be redeemed for the current stay. Rooms on the rate "Ambassador Complimentary Weekend Night" are subject to limited availability. Only one complimentary weekend night may be used per stay.

25. Identification and member number must be presented upon check-in.

26. Reservations must be cancelled in line with each hotel's cancellation policy in order to avoid a cancellation fee.

27. 'Weekend' is defined to include Friday, Saturday and Sunday, except in the Middle East where hotels may define the weekend as Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

28. It is to be used only by the member who has a valid InterContinental Ambassador membership and may not be transferred, bartered, or sold.

29. Valid for room and tax only.

30. IHG Rewards Club Reward Nights may not be used in conjunction with the complimentary weekend night and it cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion or free night offer.

31. All member benefits apply when using the complimentary weekend night
Old Nov 13, 19, 3:11 pm

Programs: UAmm, Hyatt Plat,Marriott Gold, AA EXP
Does anyone have experience when first night rate is higher than second night which rate would be the free night? Just spoke to a reservations agent who told me I would pay the cheaper rate. I would hate to be at check out to find out that the first night is the paid night and the second is the free night.
Old Nov 13, 19, 3:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I've never paid tax on the free night. Only the resort fee.

Originally Posted by UaCoCo View Post
Does anyone have experience when first night rate is higher than second night which rate would be the free night? Just spoke to a reservations agent who told me I would pay the cheaper rate. I would hate to be at check out to find out that the first night is the paid night and the second is the free night.
The terms say the second night is free.
Old Nov 13, 19, 11:18 pm

That agent is wrong. You pay the first night.
Old Nov 14, 19, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
They've charged me, or attempted to charge me, an average, for the first night, for the second night.
Old Nov 14, 19, 4:06 am

This indeed happens sometimes. If it is in your favour, nice. If not, you can always refer them to free wknd certificate terms.
Old Nov 14, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
In my experience they charge you the rate for the first night and disregard the second night. For a Fri-Sun stay in Japan that works out very nicely as the Sat-Sun night is always more expensive compared to the Fri-Sat night (by about 10-20k yen).
Old Nov 30, 19, 4:56 pm

Programs: 75K AS, IHG
Funny, I was hoping for the reverse as I'm looking at the Osaka IC for the first weekend of 2020 (Sat-Mon). The Sat-Sun is ~100K more expensive - almost to the point where it doesn't make any sense to use the Ambassador cert.
Old Nov 30, 19, 6:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by leland View Post
Funny, I was hoping for the reverse as I'm looking at the Osaka IC for the first weekend of 2020 (Sat-Mon). The Sat-Sun is ~100K more expensive - almost to the point where it doesn't make any sense to use the Ambassador cert.
It is 2nd night free ..... works Fri-Sun in Japan but not so much Sat-Mon
leland likes this.
Old Dec 1, 19, 7:01 am

Programs: OW Sapp, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
I find that the certificate never works with IC in Paris. All time no availability.
Old Dec 1, 19, 7:55 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
It is 2nd night free ..... works Fri-Sun in Japan but not so much Sat-Mon
These days I rather get the impression that they manipulate the Amb rate to be the average of both nights and don't price them separately. I checked a few IC and have bookings where I think that's the case, IC Hua Hin, IC Beppu, IC Bali.
Old Dec 6, 19, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, IHG Spire Amb., Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by demue View Post
These days I rather get the impression that they manipulate the Amb rate to be the average of both nights and don't price them separately. I checked a few IC and have bookings where I think that's the case, IC Hua Hin, IC Beppu, IC Bali.
FWIW, I stayed at the IC Chicago Magnificent Mile in October and the first night was around $299 and the second night was $599. It was Chicago Marathon weekend. Wound up being a good use of my certificate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: