Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Undisclosed tax/service charges?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Undisclosed tax/service charges?

I'm seeing undisclosed taxes/hotel charges for a reservation. Total price says 23,370 when i booked but does not show any of the additional charges that appear on the confirmation email. It feels like a total bait and switch and it's not like i can easily cancel as it's nonrefundable. You'd think "total taxes" and "total hotel charges" would include tax/service (the separate service charge i did not see mentioned anywhere until after booking) I just find this rather annoying and put off by the whole experience before even stepping foot into the hotel.

Reservation confirmation page on ihg.com

Email Confirmation Below

Reservation booking page
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
This is very unusual for japan in general. Which hotel? I suggest you get in touch with IHG support requesting a free cancellation if you want to proceed with this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
I think/hope it's a glitch, coz lately I have had it also for a couple of reservations in Europe where taxes are always supposed to be in the total rate. So far "Additional" taxes were not charged at check-out.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
As mentioned above, it looks like system glitch. Rates in Japan display inclusive of all taxes and service charge(which is 18.8% normally). You can simply contact the hotel to confirm if you are worried.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
I think this is a glitch. I was similarly concerned after making a recent prepaid booking at InterContinental, The Strings in Tokyo. However, the amount charged turned out to be that shown on the web (+ the disclosed taxes), rather than the higher amount shown in the confirmation email.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In some Japanese (or more generally Asian) hotels, the service charge is really more like a tax (mandated by government) rather than a genuine tip for service staff.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Update: Contacted the hotel and they confirmed that the email confirmation is incorrect and the rate is what was quoted on the website. They also said they would contact IHG about the error. Hopefully this glitch gets resolved soon.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
I see the same error when I book for IC ANA Beppu. IHG should fix it as soon as possible since email confirmation can be used as an important evidence sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.