Wiki Posts
Search

Lack of Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by seat38a
Well this is more of an issue with EU rules on the interchange fees banks can charge. Unfortunately for UK and EU residents, US residents(Maybe Canada? Not sure) will always get some sort of CC based shortcut as long as the government doesn't go after CC fees like the EU has done. The math for people on this side of the Atlantic will probably never be the same as someone on the other side.
Again the point being made was that you only need 60 nights Plus a credit card when the reality is that beyond the US that just isn’t true.

Thus for those of us fortunate enough not to live in the US Marriott comes in at as the most onerous qualification for top status with relatively mediocre benefits especially compared to mid tier status.
:D! likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

Again the point being made was that you only need 60 nights Plus a credit card when the reality is that beyond the US that just isn’t true.

Thus for those of us fortunate enough not to live in the US Marriott comes in at as the most onerous qualification for top status with relatively mediocre benefits especially compared to mid tier status.

So as the OP and I and others has pointed out, IHG has the worst elite benefits, which is the point of this topic. Yes IHG throws tons of worthless points that they just devalued recently, left and right at you but again, whats the point of achieving top status at a program thats popular for throwing points at you thats depreciating? All other benefits including late checkout is YMMV at IHG outside of Ambassador. So regardless of how you earn your spire status, $7.5K or 75 nights, worthless is worthless if one is searching for guaranteed benefits.

For the OP, who is located in the USA btw, based on his or her profile, is better off getting the AMEX Hilton Aspire card to automatically get Diamond status, which is also Hilton's top tier. The fact that the OP is located in the US and he or she can use CC's to reach highest tier status at other hotels matters, since it changes the math/value for the OP. If someone started this post who wasn't in the US, then again the math shifts to whatever math/value works for their country and location.

Everything that the OP listed above starts at Platinum 50 nights at Marriott, most of it at Gold 40 nights(No lounge access but no resort fee on point stay) at Hilton, not at 75 nights which in my humble opinion makes IHG come out smelling even worse than their piers.
:D! likes this.

Last edited by seat38a; Aug 2, 2019 at 7:38 pm
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I get more upgrades as a Spire Elite than I do over at Hilton as a Diamond. I've gotten some really nice suites as of late with Kimpton and on the off chance I'm staying at a domestic Holiday Inn I usually do pretty well there too.

While there aren't many benefits, IHG is really different from the other major US chains in the terms of what they can offer you.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seat38a
So as the OP and I and others has pointed out, IHG has the worst elite benefits, which is the point of this topic. Yes IHG throws tons of worthless points that they just devalued recently, left and right at you but again, whats the point of achieving top status at a program thats popular for throwing points at you thats depreciating? All other benefits including late checkout is YMMV at IHG outside of Ambassador. So regardless of how you earn your spire status, $7.5K or 75 nights, worthless is worthless if one is searching for guaranteed benefits.

For the OP, who is located in the USA btw, based on his or her profile, is better off getting the AMEX Hilton Aspire card to automatically get Diamond status, which is also Hilton's top tier. The fact that the OP is located in the US and he or she can use CC's to reach highest tier status at other hotels matters, since it changes the math/value for the OP. If someone started this post who wasn't in the US, then again the math shifts to whatever math/value works for their country and location.

Everything that the OP listed above starts at Platinum 50 nights at Marriott, most of it at Gold 40 nights(No lounge access but no resort fee on point stay) at Hilton, not at 75 nights which in my humble opinion makes IHG come out smelling even worse than their piers.
The OP was comparing the global programmes I thought after all the thread title is not “lack of benefits in the US”.

Spire is not the top elite level at IHG, Spire RA is. I qualified for that (which also came with Kimpton Inner Circle too) with circa 20 nights of stay last year. I have been RA for 9 years now and have consistently been treated better at the sort of properties I stay at than I have even by Starwood before Marriott wrecked SPG. I have been Starwood, now Marriott Plat for 14 years and Hilton Diamond for 16 years.

Guaranteed benefits include, club upgrade at all IC’s, guaranteed 2 level room upgrade at IC, guaranteed 1 level upgrade at Kimpton (although usually much better), guaranteed 10am check in at IC and Kimpton, and decent minibar credit at IC and Kimpton. Of these benefits the only one guaranteed benefit offered by Hilton and Marriott is club access.

i find that beyond IC and Kimpton I almost always get club access where there is a club at a CP and have always had at least a one room upgrade at Indigo. I don’t tend to stay at the low end brands like HI etc. so don’t have much experience of those. Hilton is becoming a pale shadow of its former self, I think via the proliferation of credit card Diamonds. The only guaranteed Hilton benefit (like Marriott) is lounge access where a lounge is present and some form of breakfast at some brands.

My long term practical experience beyond IC and Kimpton is that Spire generally gives me equivalent benefits to Marriott Plat or Hilton Diamond, there are some exceptions and free breakfast beyond the lounge (except at IC) is a rarity but all other benefits tend to be equal despite the lack of guarantee.

As for points depreciation this happens at Hilton and Marriott every year, it is not unique to IHG. Even the new IC Maldives looks like a points bargain at 100k a night when compared to the admittedly excellent SR Vommuli on an earn to burn basis and what you get as added value in resort.
shoven likes this.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Aug 3, 2019 at 1:23 am
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:23 pm
stc
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat

The OP was comparing the global programmes I thought after all the thread title is not “lack of benefits in the US”.

True. In fact the two stays that prompted the post (and this issue to percolate up to the annoyance level) were at the Holiday Inn in Sydney Australia. But, I am based in the USA.

Being lifetime Titanium at Marriott and soon to be lifetime Diamond at Hilton, I've been trying to figure out if trying another hotel chain was worth it. The answer appears to be no. Although I have a couple of more stays at IHG properties booked including a big convention in Wellington next year. I'll probably give IHG somewhat of the benefit of the doubt for the next two years (this year and next) and see if it gets any better. But, I'm not holding out much hope.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by stc
True. In fact the two stays that prompted the post (and this issue to percolate up to the annoyance level) were at the Holiday Inn in Sydney Australia. But, I am based in the USA.

Being lifetime Titanium at Marriott and soon to be lifetime Diamond at Hilton, I've been trying to figure out if trying another hotel chain was worth it. The answer appears to be no. Although I have a couple of more stays at IHG properties booked including a big convention in Wellington next year. I'll probably give IHG somewhat of the benefit of the doubt for the next two years (this year and next) and see if it gets any better. But, I'm not holding out much hope.
Keep in mind one other ugly thing I discovered when I booked two rooms in Salzburg at the Holiday Inn. You only get points/credit for only ONE room outside of the USA. So if you'r booking multiple rooms for family or whatever while traveling, keep that in mind.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
This is a case of different horses for different courses.

The IHG program is simply not about elite benefits. It is about earning points and getting free rooms. It is really more of a rebate program than a loyalty program.
Graf von B and :D! like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
This is a case of different horses for different courses.

The IHG program is simply not about elite benefits. It is about earning points and getting free rooms. It is really more of a rebate program than a loyalty program.
I disagree, the IHG programme in it's entirety includes Kimpton Karma and Ambassador which do have guaranteed benefits based upon status. Beyond that I find in the properties were no guarantee applies that I get the same benefits I would tend to expect from Hilton or Marriott with the exception of a breakfast outside of a lounge (but then my corp rates often include breakfast anyway). Admittedly you do roll the dice for status benefits as they are not really guaranteed in any meaningful way within the main IHG rewards programme but you have to be very, very unlucky to see no real benefit at all.

If in doubt simply call the property and ask what benefits they extend to Spire or check out recent reviews, it isn't exactly rocket science.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
That's IHG - nothing new/special about it.

If you want lounge access you'd better stick with Hyatt/Marriott for domestic properties and maybe include Hilton when it's overseas. Hilton seems to remove lounges in the US.

My experience with IHG is that it's great for stays at HIX, HI in the US - FDC always thank me for being a Plat and usually we do get upgrades (had to ask but they really tried to give us upgrades). For the same thing with Marriott/Hilton is close to 0 - somehow the hotel is sold out even though it's like a haunted house.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
That's IHG - nothing new/special about it.

If you want lounge access you'd better stick with Hyatt/Marriott for domestic properties and maybe include Hilton when it's overseas. Hilton seems to remove lounges in the US.

My experience with IHG is that it's great for stays at HIX, HI in the US - FDC always thank me for being a Plat and usually we do get upgrades (had to ask but they really tried to give us upgrades). For the same thing with Marriott/Hilton is close to 0 - somehow the hotel is sold out even though it's like a haunted house.
Again a US centric view here does not give a great picture I think. Many of the non IC or Kimpton IHG properties in the US are (in my opinion) awful soulless places and nothing like those in the wider world. I think for those of us who live beyond the US the sweet spot is often CP's which almost invariably give decent room upgrades and club access (at least they do for me). I have come across 2 CP's in the last 4 years that have had issues with upgrades and lounge access and I know for a fact that one of those (CP LHR) has now changed it's approach positively.

(edited to add) As I sit in another CP tonight I actually think that IHG may actually be marketing geniuses. I have in a property I haven't stayed at before a club room (and lounge access) upgrade both of which are great. Now I would expect that as a minimum with Hilton or Marriott yet I am still pleased at IHG properties when I get what I would from Marriott or Hilton when if I just had a club room and lounge access at Hilton or Marriott I would be checking whether any suites were still available for sale. I do honestly think that as Hilton and Marriott get worse in many respect IHG makes me feel far more important as a guest.
dimon84 and markko like this.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Aug 7, 2019 at 1:20 pm
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again a US centric view here does not give a great picture I think. Many of the non IC or Kimpton IHG properties in the US are (in my opinion) awful soulless places and nothing like those in the wider world. I think for those of us who live beyond the US the sweet spot is often CP's which almost invariably give decent room upgrades and club access (at least they do for me). I have come across 2 CP's in the last 4 years that have had issues with upgrades and lounge access and I know for a fact that one of those (CP LHR) has now changed it's approach positively.

(edited to add) As I sit in another CP tonight I actually think that IHG may actually be marketing geniuses. I have in a property I haven't stayed at before a club room (and lounge access) upgrade both of which are great. Now I would expect that as a minimum with Hilton or Marriott yet I am still pleased at IHG properties when I get what I would from Marriott or Hilton when if I just had a club room and lounge access at Hilton or Marriott I would be checking whether any suites were still available for sale. I do honestly think that as Hilton and Marriott get worse in many respect IHG makes me feel far more important as a guest.
I don't live in the US, I live in Europe. I have Titanium with Marriott and Platinum with IHG.

I think it's really hotel dependent. My experience is the opposite: stayed at CPs in Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Shenzhen, Xuzhou and Beijing. The newest CP in Hong Kong is horrible in giving upgrade to Spire (I was Spire), all I got was higher floor and 2 drink coupon (paid stay). CP Fukuoka was amazing, they offered me lounge access on points where I got nothing at CP Kumamoto (not even a free drink/welcome points). Copenhagen was nice and very generous, Spires have lounge access. Hamburg is the worst, Stayed there as Spire, upgrade to "Club room" without access and the room was horrible. Stayed in 3 CPs in China and no upgrade (even though they claimed they did), and got 2 drink coupons at check-in.

I mostly stay during weekend as I'm staying on my own dime when travelling, maybe upgrades depend on how much you paid. I have better success with Holiday Inn regarding upgrades - China is hopeless, I never get anything, not just IHG, had exactly the same issue with Marriott.

I do have better luck with Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express except in China regarding upgrades.

However in the US - especially Holiday Inn Express and Staybridge, asked for upgrade and most of the time I got one just by asking.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
I don't live in the US, I live in Europe. I have Titanium with Marriott and Platinum with IHG.

I think it's really hotel dependent. My experience is the opposite: stayed at CPs in Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Shenzhen, Xuzhou and Beijing. The newest CP in Hong Kong is horrible in giving upgrade to Spire (I was Spire), all I got was higher floor and 2 drink coupon (paid stay). CP Fukuoka was amazing, they offered me lounge access on points where I got nothing at CP Kumamoto (not even a free drink/welcome points). Copenhagen was nice and very generous, Spires have lounge access. Hamburg is the worst, Stayed there as Spire, upgrade to "Club room" without access and the room was horrible. Stayed in 3 CPs in China and no upgrade (even though they claimed they did), and got 2 drink coupons at check-in.

I mostly stay during weekend as I'm staying on my own dime when travelling, maybe upgrades depend on how much you paid. I have better success with Holiday Inn regarding upgrades - China is hopeless, I never get anything, not just IHG, had exactly the same issue with Marriott.

I do have better luck with Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express except in China regarding upgrades.

However in the US - especially Holiday Inn Express and Staybridge, asked for upgrade and most of the time I got one just by asking.
Plat with IHG is fairly 10 a penny with Spire and RA etc. above it. It really should be thought of as like the new Marriott Gold. In China specifically there are upgrade guarantees for Spire. I have had good upgrades and club access at HKG Causeway Bay, Copenhagen and Singapore CP’s.

Since Spire is relatively easy to obtain based on spend (and I self fund my own stays too), I don’t see the beef.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plat with IHG is fairly 10 a penny with Spire and RA etc. above it. It really should be thought of as like the new Marriott Gold. In China specifically there are upgrade guarantees for Spire. I have had good upgrades and club access at HKG Causeway Bay, Copenhagen and Singapore CP’s.

Since Spire is relatively easy to obtain based on spend (and I self fund my own stays too), I don’t see the beef.
That's the reason why I decided not to chase for Spire, partially because the almost to zero privilege in China as Spire. Even as Plat I got great treatment in the low end IHG in the US which I'm very happy about. I don't stay at luxury brands hotel enough to make it worthwhile to run for Spire to get the extra benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.