IHG to Eliminate toiletries single use across all brands

Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by davie355
Do we have evidence there's any actual risk of tampering with refillable bottles? Or is it just fearmongering?

Many hotels have had refillable bottles for years. Has there been even 1 case of someone getting hurt?
How many cases of drug tampering were there pre-Tylenol?
It only takes one.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
I am all for hotels being environmentally friendly, but I find that a lot of these same hotels that say they are taking steps to save the environment (using bottled toiletries, pushing re-using towels) do not even put a recycle bin in the hotel room. For some reason, that just drives me nuts and makes their other efforts to me seem fake and makes me feel that they are only pushing these other initiatives to help their bottom line and not the environment.
Redhead, Rare and dimon84 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
I have and I hate them. I realize after I am already wet in the shower that I need to break this seal somehow with slippery fingers. Don't most/many US SPG and Marriott properties have these?

If you are worried about someone tampering with these bottles, then simply do not use them. You can buy shampoo and gel anywhere.
My wife has a habit of swiping those little bottles when we are in a hotel. We have a box of them in the hall closet. I just checked and a few do have this small strip of tape on the top. Looks like it would be easy to tamper with no indication. Most have nothing. I usually say at Hiltons though.

I remember staying in a hotel that had the shampoo on the wall. I think it was an Ibis. The front of the container popped off and it appeared the shampoo was in a large bag. It did not look it was refillable at all, the maids just swapped out the bag when it was empty.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:12 am

I have made a habit of saving the bottles and donating them to a local women's shelter for several years now. Always felt it was something they could use - guess I can look for other ways to help now!
Redhead, Boraxo and PapaJack like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta
Don't think for an instance that the mini bottles contain something upmarket. It's the same goop in a new bottle.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
It's the correct move. Nothing more to say.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I support the environmental efforts of IHG. As a POC, hotel toiletries do not meet my hair or skin care needs anyway. I have traveled with my own shampoo bars, lotion and body wash for years.
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MemphisQueen
But the IHG announcement is doing away with 4 individual bottles (shampoo, body wash, conditioner, lotion) and replacing with only two (hair + body wash and lotion).

What happened to the conditioner?!? As someone with waist length hair who abhors checked baggage, I use provided toiletries at my destination, including copious amounts of shampoo and conditioner.
The Staybridge we were at last week had big bottles of JR Watkins shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel in a tamper-resistant locking rack in the shower/tub and individual soaps for the sink area. (I don't remember what the lotion situation was- I bring my own little thing of Neutrogena for that) And as someone whose hair needs a lot of conditioner to untangle, I actually like the big bottles better because it's easy to get sufficient product out of them unlike the daily use ones.

If you're looking for a floor on what the Big Three will provide in the USA, even tru by Hilton, which was all large dispensers from the beginning, does have separate shampoo, conditioner, and body wash rather than that awful universal human scrub stuff you get in European budget hotels.
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:42 am
dk9

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Do you have any proof to back up that claim? To me, eliminating tiny plastic bottles and using refillable ones certainly sounds like a positive in terms of the environment.

The fact that something is good for the environment doesn't mean it can't also be good for the bottom line. Why can't this action be both?
As someone who is in the industry I have some confidence in what I say but of-course you can make your own conclusions.

It's also worth noting that many holiday Inns in Asia, certainly those in Hong Kong and Macau, already use biodegradable small bottles. Of-course these are quite expensive for the hotels.. Remember refillable doesn't mean that there is no plastic waste, it's just that the waste is reduced. What I would like to see is all one-use plastic eliminated from everywhere and biodegradable or even better compostable materials are used.
Redhead likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:46 am
dk9

Originally Posted by davie355
Do we have evidence there's any actual risk of tampering with refillable bottles? Or is it just fearmongering?

Many hotels have had refillable bottles for years. Has there been even 1 case of someone getting hurt?
There have been cases of someone putting urine inside. Not sure if that classifies as 'getting hurt'.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Only a matter of time before people start filling these wall dispensers with god knows what, urine, feces, acid, etc. No thanks, I'll stick to mini bottles for which I am the only user.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Only a matter of time before people start filling these wall dispensers with god knows what, urine, feces, acid, etc. No thanks, I'll stick to mini bottles for which I am the only user.
The ones I saw are "refilled" with a sealed, plastic, bag. It was not possible to fill or pour anything into them.

The mini bottles however are easy to tamper with.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:48 am

I highly welcome this change, and I really hope other hotels will follow soon.
It could be true that IHG is also saving some money out of this initiative, but I don't see anything wrong with it.
Saving the environment + cost saving for the corporation = double win.
If you are afraid others will tamper the bulk containers, don't worry, I think you'll be fine.
How do you use public bathrooms everyday that have soap in bulk containers?
How do you know the refillable liquid soap at your office is safe/clean?
What about gyms where showers have shampoo in bulk containers?
Everyday we are exposed to ton of shared items that theoretically could be tampered if anyone wanted to do so, and yet we are all fine...I don't think our lives will be suddenly at risk when hotels introduce bulk containers for rooms.
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

In principle, I support the move to bulk dispensers, if they are kept clean and full, and are periodically cleaned inside.

Originally Posted by mikew99
If IHG instead chose to switch to single-use recyclable containers (that cost IHG more money), then I might think differently about it.
I would wonder if the recyclable containers are being recycled, or if they are being tossed rather than introducing another layer of complexity by handling them differently. The people who decide to do good things for the environment are not the people who handle the products that are better for the environment.

Originally Posted by TWToKM
[...] a lot of these same hotels that say they are taking steps to save the environment (using bottled toiletries, pushing re-using towels) do not even put a recycle bin in the hotel room.
In hotels with recycle bins in the rooms, I have seen housekeeping carts with only one place to put discards from the room. It's this sort of thing that makes me a cynic. As Dilbert said in a strip long ago, one theory is that the cleaner makes one pass to collect the recyclables and a second pass to collect the trash.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:06 am

It can be done right. Here's an example that still allows a hotel to use a premium product and have bulk containers. I don't think there's anything wrong with this kind of implementation. These are fairly tamper proof too.

moondog, wrp96, trouble747 and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.