Wiki Posts
Search

IHG to Eliminate toiletries single use across all brands

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
IHG to Eliminate toiletries single use across all brands

There is an article in today’s Washington Post Here which discuss that IHG will be eliminating all single-use toiletries across ALL Brands, including the luxury brands such as Kimpton. They claim to be doing so for environmental reasons. I personally find those dispensers in the showers with bulk products absolutely troublesome, and would never use one.

​​​​​​​Guess I will not be staying overnight in a Kimpton anytime soon...
closecover, Raynyan and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:26 pm
dk9

It's not really due to environmental reasons. What happened is these big refillable bottles that will replace small toiletries are more cost effective for hotels. However, the problem has always been that guests thought of these as a less premium offering (thus you would only find them in HIX etc). Now that public perception is changing and the environment is a concern for guests, IHG grabbed the opportunity to save some cost.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Virtue signaling smoke and mirrors through a hot PR trend that is really just a cost-cutting measure.

But to say I won't stay at a chain because of it? Too extreme.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
There is an article in today’s Washington Post Here which discuss that IHG will be eliminating all single-use toiletries across ALL Brands, including the luxury brands such as Kimpton. They claim to be doing so for environmental reasons. I personally find those dispensers in the showers with bulk products absolutely troublesome, and would never use one.

Guess I will not be staying overnight in a Kimpton anytime soon...
I understand you may not like them, but how are they troublesome?
kimberlyrose and DutchessPDX like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dk9
It's not really due to environmental reasons. What happened is these big refillable bottles that will replace small toiletries are more cost effective for hotels. However, the problem has always been that guests thought of these as a less premium offering (thus you would only find them in HIX etc). Now that public perception is changing and the environment is a concern for guests, IHG grabbed the opportunity to save some cost.
Spot on, however a hotel/resort can package/present the toiletries to make it look/feel not less premium. The newly opened Waldorf Astoria Maldives, where rooms start at $1,500 per night, for example utilise large dispenser bottles but obviously with higher end brand content - it felt very premium. On the other end of the spectrum, I can understand how a plastic dispenser stuck on the wall will feel cheap no matter what product is inside.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by dk9
It's not really due to environmental reasons.
Do you have any proof to back up that claim? To me, eliminating tiny plastic bottles and using refillable ones certainly sounds like a positive in terms of the environment.

The fact that something is good for the environment doesn't mean it can't also be good for the bottom line. Why can't this action be both?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
I wonder what will happen when someone picks the locking mechanism with a broken toothpick and introduces their own special eau de toilette. Heck here is a universal soap key available on Amazon >

Amazon Amazon

Perhaps a funny April Fools prank would be to open the containers and add some hair dye to the shampoo or mayonnaise to the lotion.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
I wonder what will happen when someone picks the locking mechanism with a broken toothpick and introduces their own special eau de toilette. Heck here is a universal soap key available on Amazon >

Perhaps a funny April Fools prank would be to open the containers and add some hair dye to the shampoo or mayonnaise to the lotion.
Or some caustic chemical that could harm to somebody in very vulnerable time (etc the UK chemical splashers). I don't care if there is some pseudo environmental reason for switching. I want my toiletries in personal sealed containers and will choose my Hotel loyalty based on this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Do you have any proof to back up that claim? To me, eliminating tiny plastic bottles and using refillable ones certainly sounds like a positive in terms of the environment.

The fact that something is good for the environment doesn't mean it can't also be good for the bottom line. Why can't this action be both?
My only evidence is a good dose of cynicism, along with the reality that corporations do what they believe makes them the most money, regardless of whether or not it's good for the environment.

If IHG instead chose to switch to single-use recyclable containers (that cost IHG more money), then I might think differently about it.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:07 pm

Do we have evidence there's any actual risk of tampering with refillable bottles? Or is it just fearmongering?

Many hotels have had refillable bottles for years. Has there been even 1 case of someone getting hurt?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I have been fine with this at aloft and I encountered it at a HIX in California earlier this month. Shampoo ran out on me but otherwise I can deal with it. It would be nice if this was announced alongside other green moves, perhaps reducing the amount of single use material in the HIX breakfast. Country Inn can do plates and silverware in a similar setup and budget.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:06 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Guess I will not be staying overnight in a Kimpton anytime soon...
This is actually not new for Kimptons; the majority of Kimptons already switched 1-2 years ago, even before IHG announced the initiative for their select service properties last year.
downinit likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
I wonder what will happen when someone picks the locking mechanism with a broken toothpick and introduces their own special eau de toilette.
As evidenced by the zero stories ever of this happening in less posh hotels (or any, let's be honest) some of which have provided dispensers for decades. So your thesis is someone pays $500 a night for a hotel room so they can vandalize the soap in a room that would take two seconds to trace back to them? Yesterday no hair dye. Today, hair dye, and here's the credit card and ID of the person who was in the room. Well, Clouseau, crime solved.

I can't figure out how seasoned travellers are unable to wash and shampoo without hotel amenities. I carry such items in luggage. Rarely do I bother with the little ones other than I have saved a few shave cream in tubes from CX shower rooms because they are small enough to pass the carry-on limit and are handy if you don't have a can of shave cream. I have one sewing kit from a Radisson Blu also.

Let's applaud for one moment at least, less plastic crap clogging the world.
dw, moondog, Palal and 12 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
In some premium hotels (not IHG) & eco resorts I have already seen shampoo & shower gel in small ceramic / stone like dispensers . It felt more premium then small plastic bottles. I can’t imagine that an IC just puts the same system as a HIX, hence it is a nice move if we see those small premium dispensers.
in the following photo for instance it is a stone like product in Alila Jabal Akhdar
[img]blob:https://www.flyertalk.com/e8452787-f5da-480e-8b6d-ed7771eaf2d6
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
As evidenced by the zero stories ever of this happening in less posh hotels (or any, let's be honest) some of which have provided dispensers for decades. So your thesis is someone pays $500 a night for a hotel room so they can vandalize the soap in a room that would take two seconds to trace back to them? Yesterday no hair dye. Today, hair dye, and here's the credit card and ID of the person who was in the room. Well, Clouseau, crime solved.

I can't figure out how seasoned travellers are unable to wash and shampoo without hotel amenities. I carry such items in luggage. Rarely do I bother with the little ones other than I have saved a few shave cream in tubes from CX shower rooms because they are small enough to pass the carry-on limit and are handy if you don't have a can of shave cream. I have one sewing kit from a Radisson Blu also.

Let's applaud for one moment at least, less plastic crap clogging the world.
I guess I am cynical.

We live in a world where people lick ice cream, teachers ejaculate on cookies, people refill airport soap dispenser with there own semen.

May I ask how you would know if is semen was in the coditioner or perhaps if a few packets of mayo was loaded in the lotion bottle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.