Wiki Posts
Search

Homophobia at the HIX AGP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Homophobia at the HIX AGP

Just checked in to this hotel, had reserved a double room and they gave us two singles. Went back to reception and asked to switch. The woman there informed me that rooms with double beds were for families and that we are not a family. I couldn't believe what I heard so I asked her to repeat and she said that no, we are not a family and there would be no double bed for us. I was speechless for a minute, then asked her if I showed her our marriage certificate that would suffice. She said no, it's for families with children.

We are still here, in a room with two tiny twin beds, as there is nothing else decent available nearby or I would have walked immediately. I really don't think I'm making a big deal out of nothing, and it wasn't a communication problem as we were both speaking Spanish. I already contacted IHG chat and they gave me the phone number and email for the front desk (gee thanks guys).

So, questions: how should I escalate this, and to whom?
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
All I see on their website is a double bed, so I would expect that too. I would ask for the manager as always.

With that said, I would drop the "homophobia" unless you are one to use that to get your way. I take it as they want to save those rooms for groups of 4 more than telling you they don't recognize your marriage. [...]

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jul 28, 2019 at 11:09 pm Reason: edit personal comments out of post
Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:21 pm
dk9

In the UK this is illegal and there was a similar case previously and the gay couple got the hotel to court and they won compensation. That was a family hotel/b&b and I am shocked to hear that this could ever happen at a chain hotel. You should definitely contact IHG and if there is nothing else to this story the front desk must lose her job to say the least.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:23 pm
dk9

Originally Posted by Super Mario
All I see on their website is a double bed, so I would expect that too. I would ask for the manager as always.

With that said, I would drop the "homophobia" unless you are one to use that to get your way. I take it as they want to save those rooms for groups of 4 more than telling you they don't recognize your marriage. Get over yourself.
How is that not homophobia? So you are telling me if they were a straight couple the response would had been the same?
Markie, MorganB, chrisny2 and 14 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
GM came and offered to switch to a room that had "just opened up" and I declined, explained that it's not about the room at this point. The GM told me that the double rooms have sofabeds and that's why the comment about the kids. This is entirely possible but the way this was communicated was not that. For the record I have never had an issue like this in any hotel. It was in my opinion egregious.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Super Mario

With that said, I would drop the "homophobia" unless you are one to use that to get your way. I take it as they want to save those rooms for groups of 4 more than telling you they don't recognize your marriage. [...]
I think you need to ‘get over yourself’ super dooper.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jul 28, 2019 at 11:10 pm Reason: quoted post was edited
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by alanw
GM came and offered to switch to a room that had "just opened up" and I declined, explained that it's not about the room at this point. The GM told me that the double rooms have sofabeds and that's why the comment about the kids. This is entirely possible but the way this was communicated was not that. For the record I have never had an issue like this in any hotel. It was in my opinion egregious.
I can understand why this would rankle with you. Given the GM comments, is poor communication by the front desk not the most likely explanation? Not ruling out explicit homophobia, but that is probably at the less likely end of the spectrum.

What can the hotel/GM do, now, to rectify the situation for you?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: BAEC
This sounds horrendeous, and I would absolutely file a complaint! If you had booked a double room, it would not be any of the hotel’s business if you used the sofa bed or not.....
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dk9
How is that not homophobia? So you are telling me if they were a straight couple the response would had been the same?
I cannot see why not - If the hotel needs them for families, then yes - the normal use of family relates to having kids too rather than being a couple.

A double was booked and should have been provided, but there is nothing homophobic in the details provided by OP about hotel's refusal
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:41 pm

I don't want to discount the discomfort you felt but laughing a little because an older married couple might actually find the twin beds a good deal......
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by pt flyer
I don't want to discount the discomfort you felt but laughing a little because an older married couple might actually find the twin beds a good deal......
Excuuuuse me?

And especially if THEY requested a double??

GC
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dk9
Welcome to 2019 where this is "clearly" homophobia. No other possible explanation. Do you have any evidence that they would not say this to a straight couple? I guess neither of us do. So that means the business is guilty. Right?

You can look at the website. They clearly have 2 types of rooms. Those that fit 2 and those that fit 4. They are both the same price, at least from what I checked. Imagine owning a hotel and managing capacity for walk-ins near an airport. Do you think their goal is matching people up to their sleeping capacity, or keeping gay people out of the same bed? This is honestly a ridiculous discussion, and jumping to an extreme conclusion.

I can appreciate that perhaps a better explanation could have been given. I also think you should get the room you booked. None of these things convince me of the homophobia accusation.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
The GM offered what you claim you wanted but you declined? What was the point of this, then? (...)
turner32, polinka, Chang11 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jul 29, 2019 at 2:29 am Reason: personal part edited out of post
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Not much empathy happening in this thread. Sorry that this happened to you alanw. You are right to expect better.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
It's the job of the hotel to see that the room as booked is the room that is provided at check-in, unless one is getting an upgrade because of elite status or overbooking the cheaper room classes. It's not the job of hotel management or desk clerks to determine who is 'worthy' of the room they have actually booked.

As long as the number of guests is equal or less than the legal occupancy of the room and that number is properly reflected in the room rate, it's none of the hotel's business why a room of a particular configuration is reserved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.