6000 points short of Spire Elite

Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:12 am
Original Poster

6000 points short of Spire Elite

Hi all, sorry if somewhere on here this question has already been answered. I’m just shy of Spire and have a 5 week stay coming up in three weeks time so it would be nice to get there before I check in and get the extra points and perks.

Sadly my schedule is full, so no stays or bonus points package in the interim is possible and I know that purchased points are not qualifying points. Does anyone know if transferred points are qualifying? Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Anecdotally, transfers from Chase Ultimate Rewards to IHG have been counting as qualifying. Those transfers happen instantaneously so you'd know pretty quick !
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by geo1005
Anecdotally, transfers from Chase Ultimate Rewards to IHG have been counting as qualifying. Those transfers happen instantaneously so you'd know pretty quick !
I think IHG changed its stated T&C's and transfers are not elite qualifying points??

Last edited by rebadc; Jul 24, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
I would try to book a bonus point package somewhere near where you are going to be, base + 5000. Check in, then potter off to where you are actually staying. As long as they are not both IHG you should be fine.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kdayz
Hi all, sorry if somewhere on here this question has already been answered. I’m just shy of Spire and have a 5 week stay coming up in three weeks time so it would be nice to get there before I check in and get the extra points and perks.

Sadly my schedule is full, so no stays or bonus points package in the interim is possible and I know that purchased points are not qualifying points. Does anyone know if transferred points are qualifying? Thanks
There aren't really any extra perks but you do get more points as a Spire. Are you registered for Accelerate? If so, you'll surely complete some targets with a 5 week stay and earn extra points that way, if you can't achieve Spire before your holiday.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by strickers
I would try to book a bonus point package somewhere near where you are going to be, base + 5000. Check in, then potter off to where you are actually staying. As long as they are not both IHG you should be fine.
Strickers, if you suggest having a double booking at two IHG properties for the same night, this would be bad advice! OP's account would show a non-qualifying overlapping stay for one of those nights! Furthermore the system needs a couple of days to update. So the five week stay for which OP needs higher status must not commence earlier than 2/3 nights after the bonus point package stay.

OP's profile states residence as UK, which is one of the two countries for which a Spire status match challenge can be requested... but hurry, it's the last day to register:

https://www.ihg.com/trip-extras/us/en/statusmatch?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Stealthmode
Strickers, if you suggest having a double booking at two IHG properties for the same night, this would be bad advice! OP's account would show a non-qualifying overlapping stay for one of those nights! Furthermore the system needs a couple of days to update. So the five week stay for which OP needs higher status must not commence earlier than 2/3 nights after the bonus point package stay.

OP's profile states residence as UK, which is one of the two countries for which a Spire status match challenge can be requested... but hurry, it's the last day to register:

https://www.ihg.com/trip-extras/us/en/statusmatch?
That's why I said as long as they are not both IHG?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crofton138
There aren't really any extra perks but you do get more points as a Spire. Are you registered for Accelerate? If so, you'll surely complete some targets with a 5 week stay and earn extra points that way, if you can't achieve Spire before your holiday.
I’m registered for Accelerate, but have competed most of it from May this year. The cut off date for it is 31st August, which is bang in the middle of my 5 week stay so wouldn’t have counted any way. Thanks for the advice though😄
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Even if the bonus points package clause wasn’t in place, I’m not sure how staying at a non IHG hotel would help me increase my IHG status?😄
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kdayz

Even if the bonus points package clause wasn’t in place, I’m not sure how staying at a non IHG hotel would help me increase my IHG status?😄
Say you have a night away and have already booked non-IHG, maybe it was your employer who booked it? Book an IHG nearby with a bonus package as a mattress run.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Yep, you were pretty clear.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
The UK must be one of the easiest places in the world to do an IHG mattress run. However, it’s been a while since I saw 5k points offers most are 1k. No need to actually stay the night just check in maybe grab a shower etc and then leave, checking out via phone the next morning (as you left in a rush).

Too late now but IHG points earned via credit card are elite qualifying, the welcome bonus isn’t.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
The UK must be one of the easiest places in the world to do an IHG mattress run. However, it’s been a while since I saw 5k points offers most are 1k. No need to actually stay the night just check in maybe grab a shower etc and then leave, checking out via phone the next morning (as you left in a rush).

Too late now but IHG points earned via credit card are elite qualifying, the welcome bonus isn’t.
The 5k packages are rare in the UK these days, the only brand I see them at consistently at the moment is the Indigos.

Most properties in the UK have the option to add 3k points on though when booking the best flex rate and these have always added as qualifying when I've used them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.