Search

Bangkok Best IHG Properties

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Bangkok Best IHG Properties

Thanks to the search function I have had a good study of the master thread of several Bangkok IHG properties. There is a lot of good information as well as a lot of old posts going back to 2004 and not an over abundance of new information. All properties seem to have advantages and disadvantages, which is normal for a place like Bangkok. I will be in the city for 3 nights in October before flying elsewhere in Asia. There will be 3 of us, my partner and I as well as my nephew, just in case this info is needed at some point. Any updates of feelings on the vagaries of IHG accomodations in Bangkok?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
I stayed at the Intercontinental Bangkok recently. Excellent hotel, good location and at 40k points per night, excellent value for money.

The hotel is next to the Chit Lom BTS station and also the Amarin Plaza & Central Chidlom shopping centres.

Last edited by Crofton138; Jul 19, 2019 at 7:36 am
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Crofton138
I stayed at the Intercontinental Bangkok recently. Excellent hotel, good location and at 40k points per night, excellent value for money.

The hotel is next to the Chit Lom BTS station and also the Amarin Plaza & Central Chidlom shopping centres.
I also like the IC. Great location, excellent club lounge, good service. There is also a very good HI right next door to the IC.
The HI Sukhumvit in my opinion is also good. I stayed once in the HI Silom and did not like the place. Old and run down. Not sure if it has changed since then.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I can also without any reserve recommend the Intercontinental, where I stayed several times. If you look for something less pricey (~1/3 of the rates at the IC), I can recommend the Holiday Inn Bangkok Silom as well: Rooms are nice and modern (completely renovated ~3 years ago), breakfast is great, lots of good food options in the neighborhood, only a few minutes walk to BTS station and the river.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I've stayed in three -
IC - very nice, good location, excellent breakfast, convenient for BTS
HI Silom - excellent for the price, room was nice, decent breakfast but nothing special, a bit of a walk to BTS
Crowne Plaza - disappointing for the cost, I would not stay here again

I agree with Viennafly - the HI Silom is surprisingly good for a mid-range hotel. IC is the best option if you are willing to spend the money.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
We (wife and 2 year old) stay at the HI on Soi 22
Good breakfast, nice pool, close to the BTS (Skytrain), a nice park, high-end shopping, and restaurants.
Half the price of the IC.

We do stay at IC properties but only at resorts, in larger cities we don't quite see the point.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR PLAT
For 40.000 points The IC Bangkok is a great deal i always pay the 3200++ Thai baht for the Club upgrade. Great service in this hotel... The HI Suk soi 22 isn't bad either i book the club room there they always give me a junior suite the lounge is alright never crowded the booze and food are ok...There is also a decent restaurant right down soi 22 call No Idea. Western food nice cheese selection and food is very good to.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:39 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by jbeckett
HI Silom - excellent for the price, room was nice, decent breakfast but nothing special, a bit of a walk to BTS
I agree with Viennafly - the HI Silom is surprisingly good for a mid-range hotel. IC is the best option if you are willing to spend the money.
HI Silom is the best price point, though there are some rooms that look out onto the tower next door that I like to avoid. The breakfast at the Exec Lounge is good, and they'll basically bring you almost anything that you want even if it's not in their spread. And, there is complimentary TukTuk service to the BTS station, though you may have to wait a few minutes. It's not a bad walk though.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: NZ
I was interested in what the HIX Sathorn is like, and with a bit of research I found this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...x-sathorn.html

Useful to read if you are looking for a comparison between HI Silom and HIX Sathorn
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Thank you for these interesting options and thoughts. I am also going to investigate what Hilton can offer in the way of properties, but I am very much leaning towards the HI Silom. It seems to be in the right location and ticks some of the boxes (restaurants and cafes nearby, night market, etc). I was toying with booking a suite, which consists of presumably two rooms (does it?). That way my nephew could sleep on the pull out sofa in the living room (or whatever is provided) and my partner and I in the main bedroom. I was also thinking of booking a refundable rate, just in case the next Pointbreaks lottery brings out a winner!

Incidentally, Lonely Planet (the Bangkok chapter from the big Thailand book, not the Bangkok guide itself which probably has more suggestions) has only one IHG hotel among its list of suggestions, which does not surprise me because LP does not like chain hotels usually (although IHG does sometimes crop up when it's quirky and nice enough for LP). They recommend the Hotel Indigo (81 Th Witthayu/Wireless Rd) in the Siam Square & Pratunam sub chapter, which actually sounds quite nice and presumably is indeed the IHG hotel of the same name.
(Among the other chains, Millenium Hilton and Sofitel So are on the list).
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Concerto
Thank you for these interesting options and thoughts. I am also going to investigate what Hilton can offer in the way of properties, but I am very much leaning towards the HI Silom. It seems to be in the right location and ticks some of the boxes (restaurants and cafes nearby, night market, etc). I was toying with booking a suite, which consists of presumably two rooms (does it?). That way my nephew could sleep on the pull out sofa in the living room (or whatever is provided) and my partner and I in the main bedroom. I was also thinking of booking a refundable rate, just in case the next Pointbreaks lottery brings out a winner!

Incidentally, Lonely Planet (the Bangkok chapter from the big Thailand book, not the Bangkok guide itself which probably has more suggestions) has only one IHG hotel among its list of suggestions, which does not surprise me because LP does not like chain hotels usually (although IHG does sometimes crop up when it's quirky and nice enough for LP). They recommend the Hotel Indigo (81 Th Witthayu/Wireless Rd) in the Siam Square & Pratunam sub chapter, which actually sounds quite nice and presumably is indeed the IHG hotel of the same name.
(Among the other chains, Millenium Hilton and Sofitel So are on the list).
HI Silom isn’t a bad hotel, it’s just not really convenient to public transport. While the CP is certainly not aging well, being right next door to the BTS and underground is ideal. Silom Center around the corner (Super Rich on third floor best exchange rates in Bangkok - just have your passport and hotel name ready to give). Regardless of the HI or CP, Silom is a much nicer part of town to stay in. Sukhumvit is just too overrun by tourists whereas Silom is much more local. CP is also across the street from Lumpini Park. It’s a great place to just sit by the lake after a long day of sightseeing. The Silom sois are usually quiet and nice to stroll around.

Another plus in Silom is DAD laundry. They only service Silom and will pick up your laundry from the concierge desk at a time you pre-arrange and deliver it back to you the next day by noon.

October in Bangkok is still rainy season so be prepared.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by sleuth

Regardless of the HI or CP, Silom is a much nicer part of town to stay in. Sukhumvit is just too overrun by tourists whereas Silom is much more local. CP is also across the street from Lumpini Park. It’s a great place to just sit by the lake after a long day of sightseeing. The Silom sois are usually quiet and nice to stroll around.

Absolutely. Sukhumvit and Ploenchit give me a headache

The Silom (Sathorn) HIX is worth a look. Relatively new, spic and span, it can offer very attractive rates and it's close to transport links.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Absolutely. Sukhumvit and Ploenchit give me a headache

The Silom (Sathorn) HIX is worth a look. Relatively new, spic and span, it can offer very attractive rates and it's close to transport links.
I actually stumbled across this property by accident while walking up and down the sois. It’s not far at all from BTS. I noticed they had a shuttle bus as a group was being dropped off. Where it goes I have no idea. On the CP page they have a notice of renovations from May to September 2019, so maybe they finally got the message that a remodel is sorely needed.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Given the large number of attractively priced high end hotels in Bangkok I don’t really understand the benefit of sticking with IHG when for circa £100 a night you could have a suite with club lounge access and breakfast at many other good properties.

The IC is a particularly poor value property now looking rather tatty around the edges and well in need of a refurb. I only stay there because the value package as a RA with club and even the 1.5k THB minibar benefit is quite compelling and the better options in a similar location (Park Hyatt, Waldorf and St Regis) would be a lot more to guarantee a suite.

Without RA though I would be picking the SGS, Conrad, JW Marriott or the Millennium Hilton (If I didn’t hate the riverside location) in a heartbeat as offering better overall value at a similar price to the IC.
not2017 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Given the large number of attractively priced high end hotels in Bangkok I don’t really understand the benefit of sticking with IHG when for circa £100 a night you could have a suite with club lounge access and breakfast at many other good properties.

The IC is a particularly poor value property now looking rather tatty around the edges and well in need of a refurb. I only stay there because the value package as a RA with club and even the 1.5k THB minibar benefit is quite compelling and the better options in a similar location (Park Hyatt, Waldorf and St Regis) would be a lot more to guarantee a suite.

Without RA though I would be picking the SGS, Conrad, JW Marriott or the Millennium Hilton (If I didn’t hate the riverside location) in a heartbeat as offering better overall value at a similar price to the IC.
You answered what you don’t understand in your second paragraph. This is the IHG forum. People come here because they are IHG members, earn IHG points, and want to use IHG points. Evidently the OP wants to stay at an IHG property in Bangkok, hence the thread.

If OP wants to know which Hilton brand is best in Bangkok, there is a Hilton forum to learn that information. 🤷🏻.♂️
CO-PLAT likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.