Breakfast price during booking and on the bill totally different...

Old Jun 8, 19, 8:28 am
cln
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Breakfast price during booking and on the bill totally different...

Booked a hi night including bf. The option was 13Eur per night for 2.. Now i checked out the bill says 28 Euro... The total rate is the same but it is a disadvantage for me as i can get the bf cost reimbursed...
I wouldnt have booked it for 28 Euro's, for this money i can get a decent breakfast anywhere...

Is this even allowed ?
Old Jun 8, 19, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Can you clarify it a bit more - at EUR13 pee person, that would be EUR26 for the night rather than EUR28

It sounds like you booked for 2 breakfasts for a total cost of EUR28 and received 2 breakfasts

If the final bill is correct, where is the problem happening?
Old Jun 8, 19, 11:06 pm

Programs: SIA PPS, OZ Asiana Club, CX MPC, IHG Royal Amb, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Typically for me when I book room with breakfast included, the breakfast cost is consolidated under "Room Rate" and there will not be any breakfast charge on the final bill as well.

This is an example of the room rate that I have booked with breakfast. My final bill was the price as shown before without any mention of breakfast charge.

Old Jun 9, 19, 7:46 am
cln
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Can you clarify it a bit more - at EUR13 pee person, that would be EUR26 for the night rather than EUR28

It sounds like you booked for 2 breakfasts for a total cost of EUR28 and received 2 breakfasts

If the final bill is correct, where is the problem happening?
The app shows the option +13 for breakfast total for 2 pax. The bill stated 28 euros though and the amount of the room rate was discounted for the added amount of the breakfast.
The problem is i dont get reimbursed for breakfast costs, room only....
Old Jun 9, 19, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by cln View Post
The app shows the option +13 for breakfast total for 2 pax. The bill stated 28 euros though and the amount of the room rate was discounted for the added amount of the breakfast.
Is it that it is showing
Room Rate EURxx
Breakfast EUR26

If so, it sounds like it is exactly what was booked

If you had booked a rate that included breakfast in the rate, then it owuld not have been separated out
Old Jun 9, 19, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
German hotel? If so, tax reasons. And you booked breakfast, got breakfast.
Old Jun 10, 19, 12:32 am
cln
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post

German hotel? If so, tax reasons. And you booked breakfast, got breakfast.
Yeah German hotel but i added the option breakfast for 13 and i got charged 28 for breakfast ?
Old Jun 10, 19, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Errors occur. You should have checked at checkout.

Breakfast has included a 19 percent tax portion, the room only 7 percent. Given that you will always find two prices.

I assume you get breakfast at a discounted rate when booking with the room and the invoice shows the regular normal restaurant price. The hotel will not do that just for fun as they are charged higher taxes the way they do it.
Old Jun 11, 19, 11:49 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Booked a hi night including bf. The option was 13Eur per night for 2.. Now i checked out the bill says 28 Euro... The total rate is the same but it is a disadvantage for me as i can get the bf cost reimbursed...
I wouldnt have booked it for 28 Euro's, for this money i can get a decent breakfast anywhere...

Is this even allowed ?
The tickbox option to pre purchase b/f during booking ADR/Flex/Yourrate (not available on corporate or award nights) is usually heavily discounted, though variable reducing based on if you book higher room rate ie adr tick costs more than flex offer etc. Wording usually states tickbox upgrade is b/f for 2ppn. Taxes (++) usually then added in many countries

Buying b/f locally in hotel is often far costlier, on solo stays the tickbox saving is minimal

I'd check reception processed your checkin correctly as b/f included stay price If not included/flagged as b/f rate on your room at checkin, then restaurant service will charge the high daily walkin rate per each person's b/f on your bill.
Old Jun 11, 19, 11:19 pm

Yeah German hotel but i added the option breakfast for 13 and i got charged 28 for breakfast ?
What was the hotel? when making the booking, what was the total price including taxes? was the hotel charge in line with this?

Was this 1 breakfast for 1 person or 2 person having breakfast. If 2 people then that would bump it straight to 26. 7% tax would cover the remaining 2 ( if rate display was tax exclusive )
Old Jun 13, 19, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post
The tickbox option to pre purchase b/f during booking ADR/Flex/Yourrate (not available on corporate or award nights) is usually heavily discounted, though variable reducing based on if you book higher room rate ie adr tick costs more than flex offer etc. Wording usually states tickbox upgrade is b/f for 2ppn. Taxes (++) usually then added in many countries

Buying b/f locally in hotel is often far costlier, on solo stays the tickbox saving is minimal

I'd check reception processed your checkin correctly as b/f included stay price If not included/flagged as b/f rate on your room at checkin, then restaurant service will charge the high daily walkin rate per each person's b/f on your bill.
this is the Point. You do not buy breakfast for 13 EUR but you buy a room including breakfast for 13 EUR extra. This does not say anything about the price of the breakfast but about the price of a room including such breakfast. Breakfast at fair value is charged with a VAT rate of 19% in Germany. The room is taxed at 7%. To comply with tax rules they discount the room an the price of the breakfast remains at market value (Restaurant Price). You pay the total rate you agreed to for a room with breakfast.
Old Jun 14, 19, 12:20 am
cln
Original Poster

The hotel changed the bill to a business package room rate which shows no breakfast charges.
Old Jun 14, 19, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post

this is the Point. You do not buy breakfast for 13 EUR but you buy a room including breakfast for 13 EUR extra. This does not say anything about the price of the breakfast but about the price of a room including such breakfast. Breakfast at fair value is charged with a VAT rate of 19% in Germany. The room is taxed at 7%. To comply with tax rules they discount the room an the price of the breakfast remains at market value (Restaurant Price). You pay the total rate you agreed to for a room with breakfast.
So basically OP got the opposite
Old Jun 14, 19, 1:13 am

The hotel changed the bill to a business package room rate which shows no breakfast charges.
What exactly is the problem then ?
What was the hotel and booking type?

Everything that you have posted has indicated that the final bill had the correct amount on it

EUR13 per person plus tax could come to EUR28 once taxes are added ( if rate displayed was exclusive of tax )

What was the rate quoted before adding breakfast and what did the hotel bill actually show.

I don't understand why you wouldn't have purchased breakfast it at EUR14 per person but would have purchased it at EUR13 per person
Old Jun 14, 19, 3:03 am
Suspended

OK, OP, you said in your original post
The total rate is the same but it is a disadvantage for me as i can get the bf cost reimbursed...
So it is clear to me that you got an itemized bill.

The thing is simple. Let us say you booked a room for €100, and during booking you added breakfast for €13. So your total room rate is €113.

But to hotels, the underlying rate is different. You now have a Room rate with Breakfast for €113. However, for the hotels, it is €85 revenue for the room and €28 revenue for the F&B department. It is a revenue division for hotel's accounting department. It is really an internal measure of how your room rate will be divided to different hotel revenue departments.

You might have requested the reception on check-out and asked them to issue a bill for room and breakfast, that was the problem. Inexperienced agent might have chosen wrong format for the bill, unknowing what you were exactly looking for.

So what you need to do is to contact the hotel's accounting department if they have one, and request a bill that is not itemized. The hotel should have issued a bill for the total payment and have your bill as Accomodation only. It is doable from hotel management interface to issue bills under different settings. The hotel should never issue a bill that shows internal revenue division any way, unless required by law.

So go back to the hotel and contact their accounting or front office manager, ask them to re-issue an invoice to show what you paid as Room Rate or Accommodation, rather than Room and Breakfast divide. If they said no, keep pressing the issue and tell them that you need it for reimbursement. I know from the hotel management system it is do-able. But if they insist they can not do then tough luck and do not go back to this hotel again.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: