Breakfast price during booking and on the bill totally different...

Old Jun 19, 19, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
Again, this has nothing to do with the share the price of the room will have in the total roomrate you pay. Depending on the hotel, the portion for the room might be close to zero and the portion for "meals" and "breakfast" might reach the entire price you pay. This is the way you will see it on your invoice.
Regardless - there is a big difference between rate includes breakfast and it being itemised out as a figure chosen by the hotel and offering breakfast for EUR13. In the latter there is no reason at all for it to show on the invoice as anything other than what was quoted ( except if things like tax are applicable)

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
IHG sees it differently. You add 23 EUR a night and get a free breakfast for or one or two. These 23 EUR have nothing to do with the restaurant price of market value of breakfast. Your roomrate is EUR 123 and it includes breakfast. German tax authorities see it the same way. And the room/breakfast portion of the rate will be even different depending on the number of guests:
That doesn't make any logical sense at all. That is like saying that if I go to the supermarket and buy a litre of milk for $3, that I have actually made a donation to the supermarket and it has given me a free litre of milk and so therefore I am not entitled to a receipt for $3
Old Jun 20, 19, 1:13 am

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Regardless - there is a big difference between rate includes breakfast and it being itemised out as a figure chosen by the hotel and offering breakfast for EUR13. In the latter there is no reason at all for it to show on the invoice as anything other than what was quoted ( except if things like tax are applicable)

That doesn't make any logical sense at all. That is like saying that if I go to the supermarket and buy a litre of milk for $3, that I have actually made a donation to the supermarket and it has given me a free litre of milk and so therefore I am not entitled to a receipt for $3
There is a big difference - the hotel sponsors the breakfast by reducing the room rate.

The tax mantra is: The hotel needs to charge market value for the breakfast. The taxman receives a 7% chunk of the price of the room and a 19% chunk for the price of the breakfast. The hotel would be more than happy with the 7% over all and the tax authorities are aware of this - the hotels dealt with it like this in the past. Given that the tax authorities carefully check that breakfast is charged and taxed at market value.

Just imagine a typical Frankfurt IC breakfast at 25 EUR. 7% VAT are 1,63, 19% VAT are EUR 3,99, this makes a difference of EUR 2,36. Since VAT is included in the rate (and not charged extra), the hotel would be more than happy to get this difference of EUR 2,36 as extra profit. 2,63 per breakfast and about 200 guests a day is about 190.000 EUR a year. And these 190.000 EUR would be extra profit for the hotel (or loss for the tax authorities). Tax authorities are aware of this and act strictly Given that you will now normally find that breakfast either as an extra line item or shown separately in the tax breakdown with a price at market rate. It is different with some corporate rate where the hotels can argue that following market pressure they had to reduce the breakfast price; this however does not do the trick for individual bookings. As a consequence of this I will have a breakfast price of 25 EUR in Frankfurt when booking a normal rate and only 9,90 EUR when booking my corporate rate.
Old Jul 9, 19, 5:39 am

Iíve had this happen twice at Marriott. Both times I was told it was because I booked it online and it was mistakenly put in as me going into the restaurant and then adding it to my bill. Yes I was refunded, though it could have been worse I had the proof of the break down and that was the end of that. Yes it does happen , is it right , I donít think it is. It should be a standard rate for members no exceptions unless you get it part of a package deal.
Old Jul 10, 19, 10:08 am
htb

Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
The way I remember business package rates are as follows:

Part of the room rate is taxed with 7%, another part is taxed with 19%. That other part contains things like breakfast, internet, use of business center and similar (basically things that try to hide the breakfast charge).

If that other part is 28€, I see no problem if the OP charges 100€ to his employer and pays 13€ by himself. It's tax-neutral and can be backed by a screenshot from the online reservation (100€ + 13€ additional for breakfast). The 100€ are certainly a justified business expense as it would have been incurred whether or not OP had chosen to pay for breakfast or not.

HTB.
Old Jul 11, 19, 4:07 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by kimikoftokyo View Post
Iíve had this happen twice at Marriott. Both times I was told it was because I booked it online and it was mistakenly put in as me going into the restaurant and then adding it to my bill. Yes I was refunded, though it could have been worse I had the proof of the break down and that was the end of that.

No, you didn't have this issue. The OP paid the exact total that was quoted and there was nothing to refund.

It should be a standard rate for members no exceptions unless you get it part of a package deal.
The OP got a package deal.

Search this Thread