Spire Elite Status + Executive Lounge access

Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by #1son
I was never aware of any rules about upgrades
I note you are located in Dubai. I'm sure any of the emirate's CPs will set you right on that

Sadly, they are among the most intransigent of IHG hotels when it comes to the lounge business, and will cite brand standards as the reason for this and the threat of of audits by HQ. A bit OTP, but they are very serious about not letting you in. There's a little more to it, but it gets boring. The HI al Barsha lounge-equipped, but they too are sticky about admitting you to the (rather nice) place on the basis of status.

As for Abu Dhabi I'm still totally committed to the IC, even post-RA, so don't know about the CP's policy: but I'd hazard it's carbon-copy Dubai

ditto Muscat, where it's the IC or nothing. The CP at the other end of Shatti has a lounge, I doubt it's a free-for-all simply on the reputation of the place. I know nothing about the new CP in the back of beyond. In the rest of Oman, the Salala CP has no lounge, but they found other ways to be very kind.

Doha matches Dubai in terms of lounge access, the HI has no lounge, and the CPs have a policy of no upgrade to their lounges. I've a feeling that stamping your feet at reception might work in the "city park" property, but the new one by the City Centre mall is a far grander affair (it was intended to be the city's third IC) and a much more difficult nut to crack.

And that exhausts my knowledge of IHG in GCC and the middle east. But if you want to include Egypt, all i can say is its a mixed bag. CityStars HI can be generous, but it depends who you are dealing with, and the IC next door is so much nicer. The Ma'adi HI is somewhere you just wouldn't want to stay.

For me it boils down to this: there are regulations/rules/requirements/standards regarding status-driven upgrades at CP and HI hotels. Some hotels flout/ignore them: others uphold them with varying degrees of rigour. Insisting/begging/sulking might get you somewhere if you are first refused.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:58 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
As a plain ol’ Spire I’ve never yet received free lounge access at any IC I’ve stayed at but in my travels around the U.K. Crowne Plazas I’ve found lounge access has no real consistent rule. My experiences so far this year are:

1. Given to Spires as a matter of course: Birmingham
2. Given to Spires as a welcome amenity option: Liverpool Airport & Solihull
3. Given to Spires only as a room upgrade to club level room: Nottingham
4. No free access to club lounge: Stratford-Upon-Avon
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

For me it boils down to this: there are regulations/rules/requirements/standards regarding status-driven upgrades at CP and HI hotels. Some hotels flout/ignore them: others uphold them with varying degrees of rigour. Insisting/begging/sulking might get you somewhere if you are first refused.
The rules are silent on many things, they dont say that you must have an upgrade except AMB or Kimpton IC at relevant properties, they dont say that they have to give you lounge access, they dont say that they have to give you a late checkout (except AMB and Kimpton IC). Similarly they dont say you would not get this or that properties are forbidden to offer it.

if a property chooses to go over and above what they need to e.g, suite upgrades, club access, breakfast, late checkouts or free parking then that is down to them. I just wish that IHG would increase the mandatory status requirements and make it harder to obtain status but as I said above IHG seems to be the weakest of the major chains when it comes to brand standards.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
As a plain ol’ Spire I’ve never yet received free lounge access at any IC I’ve stayed at but in my travels around the U.K. Crowne Plazas I’ve found lounge access has no real consistent rule. My experiences so far this year are:

1. Given to Spires as a matter of course: Birmingham
2. Given to Spires as a welcome amenity option: Liverpool Airport & Solihull
3. Given to Spires only as a room upgrade to club level room: Nottingham
4. No free access to club lounge: Stratford-Upon-Avon
Nice to know about Birmingham. It used to be hit and miss.

The Nottingham version is annoying, unless there's something very special about their club rooms. Some ICs used to play that game

The old CP at Heathrow came up with the whackiest scheme. I once asked why no club and they told me "because you had it last time": the idea was that they'd upgrade on alternate visits. I kid you not. No idea how long that lasted: haven't been back for years.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

Doha matches Dubai in terms of lounge access, the HI has no lounge, and the CPs have a policy of no upgrade to their lounges. I've a feeling that stamping your feet at reception might work in the "city park" property, but the new one by the City Centre mall is a far grander affair (it was intended to be the city's third IC) and a much more difficult nut to crack.
It was a couple of years back now, but my interaction at the CP in Doha was:
  • FD - "We've upgraded you to our executive floor"
  • Me - "Oh great, what time is the lounge open?"
  • FD - "You aren't allowed to use the lounge"
  • Me - "But you just said you upgraded me to a executive room"
  • FD - "Yes, but you have to pay extra to use the lounge"
  • Me - Shake head and realise how often an IHG "upgrade" is just BS...
cln likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

... I just wish that IHG would increase the mandatory status requirements and make it harder to obtain status ....
I recognise the natural (but uncharitable and ever so slightly selfish ) wish to pull up the drawbridge, pencil in the qualification line just below one's own level of stays, airmiles etc ......even saint-like me feels it from time to time.

But apart from that, why would you wish to make it tougher to get to be Spire?
turner32 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
It was a couple of years back now, but my interaction at the CP in Doha was:
  • FD - "We've upgraded you to our executive floor"
  • Me - "Oh great, what time is the lounge open?"
  • FD - "You aren't allowed to use the lounge"
  • Me - "But you just said you upgraded me to a executive room"
  • FD - "Yes, but you have to pay extra to use the lounge"
  • Me - Shake head and realise how often an IHG "upgrade" is just BS...

And I'm sure it's an interaction still happening on a daily basis .
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:35 am

Meh. Check the relevant thread on which hotels grant access. Then factor it into your decision. What does free lounge access or free breakfast help me if an otherwise equivalent Hilton or Marriott offers it but costs $70 more per night?

Sure, the programs which do offer the benefit will sometimes win (especially when traveling on company dime) but not always. You know which program gives which benefits. I'd assume you can assign a value to the benefit and factor it into your decision. It's not that hard!
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lipsum
Meh. Check the relevant thread on which hotels grant access. Then factor it into your decision. What does free lounge access or free breakfast help me if an otherwise equivalent Hilton or Marriott offers it but costs $70 more per night?

Sure, the programs which do offer the benefit will sometimes win (especially when traveling on company dime) but not always. You know which program gives which benefits. I'd assume you can assign a value to the benefit and factor it into your decision. It's not that hard!
The problem is the info here tends to be sporadic and with questionable accuracy and it’s hard to find out what you get from other sources apart from approaching the property direct. I will have one stay and if I do not get Club access never stay again.

The CP at Heathrow is a good example, I really liked that property, the rooms were good, the pool is good, the lounge is good, the dining options are good and it can be fairly cheap but it is a schlep from the airport and I haven’t stayed s8nce they stopped giving lounge access staying instead at the Hilton or Marriott options. I also haven’t stayed yet at the new T4 CP for the same reason.
:D! likes this.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Jun 1, 2019 at 9:57 am
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recognise the natural (but uncharitable and ever so slightly selfish ) wish to pull up the drawbridge, pencil in the qualification line just below one's own level of stays, airmiles etc ......even saint-like me feels it from time to time.

But apart from that, why would you wish to make it tougher to get to be Spire?
its a simple business decision, whilst Spire is so laughably easy to get (e.g. about half of the qualification requirements of Hilton Diamond from stay spend and still backdoir routes to easy status like bonus point packages), then it is hard to compel property owners to seriously recognise Spire guests.

If you truly want Hilton or Marriott style consistent recognition, it’s nit goin to happen when a spend of $7500 or much less gets you “top status”
Graf von B likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:16 pm
dk9

its a simple business decision, whilst Spire is so laughably easy to get (e.g. about half of the qualification requirements of Hilton Diamond from stay spend and still backdoir routes to easy status like bonus point packages), then it is hard to compel property owners to seriously recognise Spire guests.

If you truly want Hilton or Marriott style consistent recognition, its nit goin to happen when a spend of $7500 or much less gets you top status
Ahm.. or get the Hilton amex credit card..

At least, Spire must be earned and cannot be bought with a 400 dollar credit card.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Nice to know about Birmingham. It used to be hit and miss.

The Nottingham version is annoying, unless there's something very special about their club rooms. Some ICs used to play that game

The old CP at Heathrow came up with the whackiest scheme. I once asked why no club and they told me "because you had it last time": the idea was that they'd upgrade on alternate visits. I kid you not. No idea how long that lasted: haven't been back for years.
Never not had a Club Room +foc lounge on my many nights at CP Birmingham going back many years now, and my first ever points (PB) nights Oct2018 , as crazy rates during Conservatives Party Conf 350++/night basic room. (Only rider here is that Spire only gets lounge if hotel has free unsold clubroom at checkin to upgrade you to)

nb
Agreed CP LHR was my LHR goto hotel until foc lounge went away, used their parking a lot. Instead now use Hilton T4 (no car) or DoubleTree/HI-Ariel (car)
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by dk9
Ahm.. or get the Hilton amex credit card..

At least, Spire must be earned and cannot be bought with a 400 dollar credit card.
Please - the Amex Hilton Aspire credit card is $450 a year.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Please - the Amex Hilton Aspire credit card is $450 a year.
There is a huge world outside the US......
NoviceFT likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle

If you truly want Hilton or Marriott style consistent recognition, its nit goin to happen when a spend of $7500 or much less gets you top status
As a Spire Elite, I'm recognized at every hotel that I stay at. Every hotel for years now. And I stay a lot with IHG. I really don't have a clue what you're trying to say.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.