Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spire Elite Status + Executive Lounge access

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You won't find too many people agreeing with you. Superior? Low redemption values? How about when you add all of the cost of breakfast, drinks, etc. that other other chains give their elites for free?

The best anyone can honestly say about IHG is that they run a program - no point saying "loyalty" since there aren't any elite benefits of note - that is different from the other major chains and that when IHG hands out lots of promo bonus points it works for some people.
I agree with CalItalian. If you use IHG's program to your advantage, it is second-to-none in redemption values. I've had plenty of stays that were 1-2 cents per point, on top of plentiful point returns. I've always gotten great room upgrades and late checkout with my Spire Ambassador. I like my Hilton Diamond too. Sometimes there is an instance where one may better suit me than the other. I have no interest in using overpriced Hyatt and Marriott.

Some people are so completely obsessed with getting things for "free" that they let it overshadow all common sense. Some people will pay $40 more for the room if that means a "free breakfast". Breakfast is not the end of the world, and can very easily be had through infinite options. While I enjoy a good lounge access (was great having one at a work conference two weeks ago. Everyone was jealous!), they are often at much more limited and expensive hotels than comparable options. Let's be honest. The drinks and food in there aren't anything special. They are nice to have, but not worth it at a high cost.
CalItalian, dimon84 and Crofton138 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Sorry, but there most certainly are rules. Programme T&C, as well as very explicit internal rules, specifically exclude Spire members, and all other members of the IHG programmes, from upgrades involving club access, and free breakfasts. Upgrades to rooms are what the hotel decides are upgrades - higher floors, views, even numbered rooms ...

Some rogue hotels ignore the rules but at any time might be persuaded it's in their best interests to toe the brand line. Most of the rebel properties appear to be in Asia, though:
  • One of the Jakarta properties lost its generous spirit last year ... along with a bunch of its Spire regulars.
  • The CP in Bangkok revised its policy on upgrades and club access even earlier.
  • For years the CP in Dubai Deira kept its customer base loyal, despite the hotel's age and awful location, by giving club access and excellent room upgrades to Plats and above. But now nobody gets status-led club access. The hotel cites IHG rules.
I'm sure there are other examples. These are just the ones I removed from my stay list.

So rules do exist. Some properties flout them, but enforcement of brand conformity seems to be whittling down those tall poppies
There is no rule that you do not get lounge access as a Spire/RA unless I have missed it in which case it would be helpful to point to it.

The rule is that there is no rule mandating lounge access not that it is forbidden unless you pay. There is an explicit choice form at check in at many properties which offers the option of lounge access as a welcome gift.

I personally have not stayed at a CP with a lounge that did not give me access for many years now (although o did have a bit of an argument about it at a stay at Stratford upon Avon last year).

It's an easy thing to blame central non existent rules by parsimonious properties.

I do agree though that it is a royal pain in the arse having to do advance research property by property before booking but ultimately we can always call or email and ask prior to booking.

The only thing the other schemes do better is consistency which may just mean consistently poor.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
There is no rule that you do not get lounge access as a Spire/RA unless I have missed it in which case it would be helpful to point to it.

The rule is that there is no rule mandating lounge access not that it is forbidden unless you pay. There is an explicit choice form at check in at many properties which offers the option of lounge access as a welcome gift.

I personally have not stayed at a CP with a lounge that did not give me access for many years now (although o did have a bit of an argument about it at a stay at Stratford upon Avon last year).

It's an easy thing to blame central non existent rules by parsimonious properties.

I do agree though that it is a royal pain in the arse having to do advance research property by property before booking but ultimately we can always call or email and ask prior to booking.

The only thing the other schemes do better is consistency which may just mean consistently poor.

Ambassador membership, even RA membership, has no relevance to Crowne Plazas and Holiday Inns. The highest status in the programme that involves those brands is Spire. Spire does not entitle the holder to perks beyond the anodyne. HQ has been trying very hard to impose brand discipline, and hotels are explicitly instructed not give lounge access based on status. Clearly, none of this applies to ICs.

This was part of the quid pro quo between IHG and owners/managers in hammering out an agreement to the last-but-one major revamp in benefits. It was the same agreement that limited RA upgrade benefits in return for certainty over Club access.

CP/HI lounge access had alays been a fuzzy area, and some managers of hotels in the "no access" camp were upset when guests arrived demanding lounge access because they'd been given it at the last CP/HI they'd stayed at. Same with breakfast.

So HQ resolved to enforce the "no lounge" edict. Clearly some hotels have ignored the ruling, and others will bow to pressure from pushier guests.

In a country I visit often, there are CPs in two neighbouring cities: one with a policy of open lounge access for Spires and the other where Spires have only ever received that treatment by arguing the toss at reception (and then not always ) Bad CP has put a lot of pressure on Good CP to conform to brand standards.

Under pressure from the regional manager playing Pontius Pilate, Good CP has agreed to upgrade to club only for commercial motives, and you'll be pleased to know that yours truly made it to the CIP list. I'm sure Bad CP has a list of its own, but i'm certainly not on it!
Old May 30, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
I have been shunning IHG hotels in general since 2018, other than ICs and I rarely read the T&C for anything ;-)

so I have been greatly surprised by the excellent Spire recognition I have had at several properties in 2019

at Crowne Amsterdam South > lounge access was included and I had a fabulous suite for 6 nights at a favourable rate

Criowne Plaza -Helsinki > the sad property that it is gave me lounge access, drink vouchers and a suite upgrade

CP Shenzhen > they always give me a suite and because the Club was closed they gave me access to unlimited seafood + drinks in their buffet bar that costs over USD 60 pp

CP Longgang > got a beautiful suite with access to quite decent Club Lounge

so I really do not care about the rules, just trying to get the best value I can with whatever status I have
Old May 30, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by #1son
I have been shunning IHG hotels in general since 2018, other than ICs and I rarely read the T&C for anything ;-)

so I have been greatly surprised by the excellent Spire recognition I have had at several properties in 2019

at Crowne Amsterdam South > lounge access was included and I had a fabulous suite for 6 nights at a favourable rate

Criowne Plaza -Helsinki > the sad property that it is gave me lounge access, drink vouchers and a suite upgrade

CP Shenzhen > they always give me a suite and because the Club was closed they gave me access to unlimited seafood + drinks in their buffet bar that costs over USD 60 pp

CP Longgang > got a beautiful suite with access to quite decent Club Lounge

so I really do not care about the rules, just trying to get the best value I can with whatever status I have
Indeed and this has been my experience too for quite some time. I am simply not buying this "rule" that properties are forbidden from giving Spires access to Club Lounges it is simply not true. There is even official preprinted IHG stationary that explicitly allows you to make the choice of lounge access as a welcome amenity.

To be fair I don't ever use non IC's in Asia or the US nor most of Europe but in the UK my experience has been that club lounge access has been universal.

I would add that the lounges have been a lot nicer too than many Hilton lounges which are overstuffed with the many guests with effectively paid Diamond status. I find that astounding given the ease with which Spire can be obtained but all the Lounges I have accessed in the last year at CP's have been pleasantly quiet and with a decent selection of food and drinks, the weakness has almost always been breakfast in the lounges when not on a breakfast inclusive rate.

I do think that RA makes a difference beyond IC too as I have said many times before. There are CP's that explicitly recognise RA and treat guests differently from other Spires or Plats although to be fair I haven't been to those who told me they do this in the last 18 months. RA status is visible to check in staff and distinct from spire but few properties beyond IC's explicitly mention it.

I don't buy however that earning at IHG is so good it makes up for all the other deficiencies. With recent promos my earn to burn ration has been far better at Hilton and Marriott and they at least also guarantee the same status recognition on an award booking too (although again in my last year of redeeming over 900k of points I have not seen any difference between revenue and award stay status recognition at IHG).
Old May 30, 2019, 12:06 pm

interesting point about CPs recognising RA status, they definitely do

if there is a CP in the same city as an IC, you can contact the CP to ask if they will match IC benefits and, they almost always will less the mini-bar but with a guaranteed suite

I have had no call to do this recently but it was true
Old May 30, 2019, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Omni
Well, so my inquiry was for reservations in Warsaw Poland which had multiple choices from Hilton, Marriott and IHG properties. I am Diamond Hilton, Platinum Marriott and Spire IHG.

Based on the comments exchanged here and the reviews I read on Tripadvisor, I ended up going with the Intercontinental because a) it had marginally better reviews and b) it seems to be in a marginally more central location. I really do value the club lounge access (free drinks!!) so although I would've had guaranteed lounge access at the Marriott and Hilton hotels, I ended up buying the Ambassador status (using 40k IHG points) and then using the extra weekend night certificate to help defray the cost of buying the room with the club lounge access. So net net, the total cost of my stay is approximately the same at the Intercontinental versus the other options, although at the upfront cost of 40k points. And well, it seemed that most Warsaw properties are overall pretty cheap to begin with, which is a nice welcoming change.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Originally Posted by hudsonlaluna
Well, so my inquiry was for reservations in Warsaw Poland which had multiple choices from Hilton, Marriott and IHG properties. I am Diamond Hilton, Platinum Marriott and Spire IHG.

Based on the comments exchanged here and the reviews I read on Tripadvisor, I ended up going with the Intercontinental because a) it had marginally better reviews and b) it seems to be in a marginally more central location. I really do value the club lounge access (free drinks!!) so although I would've had guaranteed lounge access at the Marriott and Hilton hotels, I ended up buying the Ambassador status (using 40k IHG points) and then using the extra weekend night certificate to help defray the cost of buying the room with the club lounge access. So net net, the total cost of my stay is approximately the same at the Intercontinental versus the other options, although at the upfront cost of 40k points. And well, it seemed that most Warsaw properties are overall pretty cheap to begin with, which is a nice welcoming change.
I do not like IC Warsaw as it is a dated property and usually morr expensive than Marriott chain hotels during weekdays, but its exec lounge is the best of all hotels in Warsaw. So, good use of the certificate. Moreover they will most certainly upgrade you to the junior suite which is spacious.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:10 am

My understanding is that, even on award stays, lounge access and upgraded rooms are provided as an unpublished benefit for Spire elite status at Crowne Plaza hotels, sometimes offered at Holiday Inn hotels, but never offered at Intercontinental Hotels. New construction Crown Plazas and Holiday Inns are therefore the sweet spot for value in the IHG program, at least in its current form. Is there much information out there yet on how Spire's are treated at Regent/Kimpton?

I do have an arbitrary affinity for the Intercontinental Hotels brand. I like the old world colonial design and I always try them out whenever I am visiting a new city. Breakfast benefits do nothing for me, since I prefer just having coffee in the morning. I do like a good lounge, but I don't use them every stay, let alone every night of every stay. However, if I know I'm going to be at an Intercon and make use of it, I will pay the fee and hit the lounge hard during tea time and cocktail hour. I might even get up for a full breakfast to ensure I get my money's worth.

I can see how others get much more value out of Hilton and Marriott given their published, guaranteed benefits, but the IHG program works for me currently.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:03 am

Kimpton is pretty generous with upgrades in general. Lots reports from friends (as well as on this site) of Spires getting several categories of upgrades. Suites often.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I find that astounding given the ease with which Spire can be obtained but all the Lounges I have accessed in the last year at CP's have been pleasantly quiet and with a decent selection of food and drinks, the weakness has almost always been breakfast in the lounges when not on a breakfast inclusive rate.
I think this might be explained by the effort often required to persuade the hotel to act against the Brand Standards it has signed up to. Some lack the confidence to demand, others find it infra dig: but it most certainly can be done.

Notwithstanding your good fortune, those Brand Standards do not include a club lounge upgrade - simply because agreement to do so could not be reached among hotels. It's a sore point: hotels that stick to the standards resent hotels that routinely over-egg their upgrades. They get annoyed when guests rock up saying "I got this treatment at the CP in Timbuctu, why can't I get it here?": just as HQ get pissed off by PC members complaining about a lack of the consistency.

So the corporate bods at HQ tried to impose consistency, and at the same time mollify those hotels that adhere to brand standards. They have issued a number of fatwahs warning hotels that they are required to stick to Brand Standards not only in terms of thread count of bed sheets, but also in terms of lounge access.

Until club access was ruled a brand standard for RAs at ICs, it seemed pretty much routine to play "difficult" hotels off against the other in much the same way. "Paris always gives me Club, so why don't you Mr Park Lane". I think very few, perhaps only Dusseldorf and Athens within my range of ICs, remained unmoved, totally unphased by such arguments. And even Athens softened after i became a regular.

But, yes, a few CPs DO continue give club access routinely, as a matter of course, without persuasion. A number in Asia, but the only European one I can think of off-hand is the Helsinki CP - but I decided that must simply be in compensation for the utilitarian drabness of the property.

Some month's back the Bucharest CP was adamant that it wouldn't play ball. Next day I witnessed a guest at check-in launch into frothy mouthed DYKWIA tirade about upgrades in general and lounge access in particular.... and they gave way It infuriated me, but I was moving to the IC the next day, so I let it go.

You might find this message interesting. It's from the manager of a Middle-East CP:
I would like you to be rest assured that we highly value you as one of our Spire Elite IHG Rewards members. We have built up a strong reputation and loyal following with our IHG Rewards members by ensuring our most loyal guests are well looked after and that they receive all their entitled benefits based on their tier level.

Unfortunately, as highlighted by our team, complimentary access to an Executive Lounge is not a benefit for any of the tiers of the IHG Rewards program. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with a high quality consistent experience and this includes the application of IHG Rewards benefits being in line with the IHG Global standards. However, we have extended the access for you as a courtesy for that particular stay.

Last edited by IAN-UK; May 31, 2019 at 12:07 pm Reason: adding the message
Old May 31, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I think this might be explained by the effort often required to persuade the hotel to act against the Brand Standards it has signed up to. Some lack the confidence to demand, others find it infra dig: but it most certainly can be done.

Notwithstanding your good fortune, those Brand Standards do not include a club lounge upgrade - simply because agreement to do so could not be reached among hotels. It's a sore point: hotels that stick to the standards resent hotels that routinely over-egg their upgrades. They get annoyed when guests rock up saying "I got this treatment at the CP in Timbuctu, why can't I get it here?": just as HQ get pissed off by PC members complaining about a lack of the consistency.

So the corporate bods at HQ tried to impose consistency, and at the same time mollify those hotels that adhere to brand standards. They have issued a number of fatwahs warning hotels that they are required to stick to Brand Standards not only in terms of thread count of bed sheets, but also in terms of lounge access.

Until club access was ruled a brand standard for RAs at ICs, it seemed pretty much routine to play "difficult" hotels off against the other in much the same way. "Paris always gives me Club, so why don't you Mr Park Lane". I think very few, perhaps only Dusseldorf and Athens within my range of ICs, remained unmoved, totally unphased by such arguments. And even Athens softened after i became a regular.

But, yes, a few CPs DO continue give club access routinely, as a matter of course, without persuasion. A number in Asia, but the only European one I can think of off-hand is the Helsinki CP - but I decided that must simply be in compensation for the utilitarian drabness of the property.

Some month's back the Bucharest CP was adamant that it wouldn't play ball. Next day I witnessed a guest at check-in launch into frothy mouthed DYKWIA tirade about upgrades in general and lounge access in particular.... and they gave way It infuriated me, but I was moving to the IC the next day, so I let it go.

You might find this message interesting. It's from the manager of a Middle-East CP:
I would like you to be rest assured that we highly value you as one of our Spire Elite IHG Rewards members. We have built up a strong reputation and loyal following with our IHG Rewards members by ensuring our most loyal guests are well looked after and that they receive all their entitled benefits based on their tier level.

Unfortunately, as highlighted by our team, complimentary access to an Executive Lounge is not a benefit for any of the tiers of the IHG Rewards program. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with a high quality consistent experience and this includes the application of IHG Rewards benefits being in line with the IHG Global standards. However, we have extended the access for you as a courtesy for that particular stay.
I totally get that if others experience is not as mine they will feel differently but whilst it seems like every Tom, Dick and Harriet these days is a Hilton Diamond with an inexorable drag on lounge occupancy and provisioning, I have not had to fight anywhere for lounge access in the UK in the last 2 years wherever there was a lounge at a non IC property. The sole exception was the CP Stratford Upon Avon which proactively gave me lounge access on an initial points stay then denied it on a revenue stay a few weeks later and after some words were exchanged they relented.

I have stayed week in, week out at a variety of UK CP’s where lounge access was not grudgingly given it was proactively offered. So I just don’t buy this whole head office edict forcing good properties not to go beyond brand standards which we all know are minimal. I will continue not to buy this unless I see some tangible evidence that it is a reality rather than hearsay.

it may well be that some over zealous regional managers are making up their own rules but I have not seen any evidence of that and when my own experience is so diametrically opposite to yours it is only fair to point that out to other members and let them decide what works for them.

i do think the somewhat pathetic brand standards hurt IHG a lot more than their treatment of elites. Take Holiday Inn a brand which I would normally walk over hot coals to avoid staying with. Yet you have the HI Manchester Piccadilly which is better in almost every respect than the Doubletree next door and is unlike any other HI I have ever stayed in (I have stayed at some of the more modern properties too like Stratford and Media City but they tend to have poky rooms and unappealing public spaces).

What hurts IHG so badly in my view is that when staying at a property you haven’t visited before it is difficult to know if the property will be new, refurbed or last saw a lick of paint 20 years ago. Whether a room will be decent and spacious with a good free internet connection or old and crap with poor mobile broadband and a stiff fee for acceptable internet access. Also whether a higher end brand like CP will really be better than a HI etc (I have sometimes found the reverse).

The bottom line in the UK at least is that many CP’s (the only brand apart from IC with Club lounges) do give access to Spires/RAs. If they didn’t I simply wouldn’t stay with them, or would other sensible Spires who have a choice of chain.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; May 31, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Old May 31, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
The giving of foc lounge access at CP hotel when hotel has lounge might in a large number of instances be driven by local competition for corporate guest nights with nearby HH/Bonvoy hotels with foc lounges for elites

Since most corporate guests will be able to obtain elite status in 2x chains, eg IHG Spire + one of HH Diamond (30nights) or Marriott (50 nights), if the CP does not give foc lounge, a large number of company nights won't get booked. Very noticeable in UK/Euope eg London where almost all CP's give lounge.access to Spires

However I never get foc Lounge at the rare HI with lounge, eg HI Kensington
Old May 31, 2019, 5:46 pm

surprisingly quite a few HIs have Executive lounges and Spire status often gets you in

one of the HIs in Riyadh has a decent lounge and as there is no expense for booze, they offer a decent spread of food, I can think of several others in the Mideast too

HI Lesnaya in Moscow has a lounge as do a few HIs in BKK

the CP - Fira Center in Barcelona has a fabulous Executive Lounge and either Spire or RA got me in there free

CP - Athens has an oddball Executive Lounge that you get with Spire

the CP Landmark Shenzhen actually has VIP seating area in the breakfast room for Spires

I was never aware of any rules about upgrades
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubaccr
The giving of foc lounge access at CP hotel when hotel has lounge might in a large number of instances be driven by local competition for corporate guest nights with nearby HH/Bonvoy hotels with foc lounges for elites

Since most corporate guests will be able to obtain elite status in 2x chains, eg IHG Spire + one of HH Diamond (30nights) or Marriott (50 nights), if the CP does not give foc lounge, a large number of company nights won't get booked. Very noticeable in UK/Euope eg London where almost all CP's give lounge.access to Spires

However I never get foc Lounge at the rare HI with lounge, eg HI Kensington
I am not sure about that. Thinking of the CP’s I stay at most the local competition from other chains does not have lounges or is non existent. The CP City at Blackfriars is away from most of the other chain competition, as is tne CP Kings Cross. The CP Birmingham has no competition with lounges that I am aware of, similarly tne CP Solihull.

i think the reason they give lounge access is to keep a loyal group of guests who stay week after week. I tend to bump into the same faces every time I stay at these properties. It is good business for all concerned but lounge access at CP’s is much more of the unwritten rule than the exception in my experience of UK properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.