Executive lounge tipping

Old May 24, 2019, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Executive lounge tipping

Apologies if this has been repeatedly asked - but is it expected to tip in the executive lounges. The staff in Hong Kong have been very good - but is it the done thing to leave a thank you after a multiple night stay?
Old May 24, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Recently, I have seen a guest tipping the staff at the Club Lounge in IC BKK.

For me, I have a few hotels where I tend to stay and the staff would always extend their warm welcome to me whenever I am staying at the hotel. I would usually buy some unique snacks from my home country to them as a sign of gesture so that they can also share the snacks amongst all staff.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:50 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Hong Kong is a no tipping country, so no there are no expectations neither you actually should do that. Please respect the local culture and do not import your own.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Hong Kong is a no tipping country, so no there are no expectations neither you actually should do that. Please respect the local culture and do not import your own.
Bit harsh. they were only asking what was appropriate.
Old May 25, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR PLAT
I live in Chiang mai so sometimes i will bring some northern sausage and chili dip from here when i go to the IC Bkk they love it..
remymartin likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Please do not tip or encourage it in the countries where it is not appropriate.
Old May 25, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: IHG
I think that's precisely why he's posted this, in order avoid offending anyone.
Old May 25, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
No - no tipping expected, in fact I’ve yet to see anyone try to tip in any exec lounge across Asia. Definitely would be seen as unusual if you tried.
Old May 25, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
In any lounge I would only consider tipping for truly exceptional service, I would otherwise treat it like a bar or buffet where no one other than North Americans would consider it appropriate (and I don't tip in lounges there either, again except for exceptional service).
Old May 25, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Only two Asian hotel lounges i tip are those with other than offering just the usual self-serve setup. Plus these are two hotels i repeat stay over many years now

i)IC Bangkok , all day full service. Plus checkin etc too. The lounge staff always really look after me here extra well

I do feel that tip is due, as if the lounge staff worked elsewhere in hotel they would share some tips. Typically i leave 1000-2000thb per visit during my checkout

ii)Conrad Bangkok, evening drinks service
500thb/stay at lounge, but also tip separately all of , room-maid, restaurant (b/f), main reception, porters , who all give great service here as a regular guest
Old May 26, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
If Iam checking out in the lounge then I leave a tip when I pay, either on my card or in cash, mostly around €15 /night, I also leave money in the bed every day for the cleaning staff. I used to just leave a bigger amount when leaving but then the cleaner that day gets it all and might not have been there the last few days.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Only two Asian hotel lounges i tip are those with other than offering just the usual self-serve setup. Plus these are two hotels i repeat stay over many years now

i)IC Bangkok , all day full service. Plus checkin etc too. The lounge staff always really look after me here extra well

I do feel that tip is due, as if the lounge staff worked elsewhere in hotel they would share some tips. Typically i leave 1000-2000thb per visit during my checkout

ii)Conrad Bangkok, evening drinks service
500thb/stay at lounge, but also tip separately all of , room-maid, restaurant (b/f), main reception, porters , who all give great service here as a regular guest
You do realise that IC BKK and Conrad BKK do charge 10% of your room rate as gratuities that will be shared by all staff members, do you?

The higher room you pay, the higher tips you are charges any way.

If you feel guilty, who not book presidential suite all the time? Just curious.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I tip according to local custom. If a tip would be appropriate were the lounge a standard restaurant, I tip. If not, then I do not. I try not to overthink these things.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
You do realise that IC BKK and Conrad BKK do charge 10% of your room rate as gratuities that will be shared by all staff members, do you?

The higher room you pay, the higher tips you are charges any way.

If you feel guilty, who not book presidential suite all the time? Just curious.
That 10% for staff mostly derives from room rate spend. However has existed so long, i view as making up the staffs living wage.

Fully aware, there is even a website league table to keep hotels honest and show how much the 10% works out per head ,( can see which Thai hotels to apply for jobs at )
https://www.hotelthailandtomorrow.co...ervice-charge/
Old May 28, 2019, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by scubaccr

As someone who has never tipped in hotel or airport lounges, and rarely tips any hotel staff for simply doing their job, this gave me a bit of a shock.

Tips to hotel reception staff ?? Tipping to ensure happier outcomes to room allocations continue, merges gratuity into graft.

I'd expect great service from the Conrad: that's what a room rate north of Ł200 a night buys you. That they then take a further 10% as a service charge absolves me of any concern about tipping.

Thai hotel staff are not indentured workers: they have legislation and labour organisations protecting their rights. If I discovered a hotel was treating staff unfairly I'd stop staying there, and let the management know why: I wouldn't attempt to right the situation from my own pocket.
demue, turner32, htb and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.