FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Occupancy rule for rewards nights. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1968480-occupancy-rule-rewards-nights.html)

asdfghjk May 6, 2019 10:59 am

Occupancy rule for rewards nights.

Hi All,
What is the occupancy rule for ihg rewards nights booked with points or free night cert?
Is it for 2 persons? Up to Max occupancy for the stardard room? Or up to the hotel?

I booked a room at the IC Da Nang, Vietnam using points and uncapped free night cert. At the time of booking, ihg rep told me that it was the same #points up to 3(max occupancy). But I just received an email from the hotel notifying me that it is $100 extra pp after 2, for 12+. Who is right?

Thanks.

craigthemif May 6, 2019 4:00 pm

Phone reps are rarely right...

If you book online, you'll see...

100.00 USD per extra adult starting with the 3rd adult. (not included in price)

scubaccr May 6, 2019 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk (Post 31072773)
Hi All,
What is the occupancy rule for ihg rewards nights booked with points or free night cert?
Is it for 2 persons? Up to Max occupancy for the stardard room? Or up to the hotel?

I booked a room at the IC Da Nang, Vietnam using points and uncapped free night cert. At the time of booking, ihg rep told me that it was the same #points up to 3(max occupancy). But I just received an email from the hotel notifying me that it is $100 extra pp after 2, for 12+. Who is right?

Thanks.

Max occupancy=3 often just means room is big enough to take a chargeable temp single-rollaway bed

Fee for temp extra bed in 2ppn room (of either 1x Double or 2x Single beds) is standard across the hotel industry.
(Even charged fees for 3rd/4th adult if rooms have 2x queen doubles )

Being an IC with cash rate of £400/night that fee is not small

asdfghjk May 6, 2019 5:49 pm

Thanks.
I guess I am stuck with the extra charge then.

jorun May 7, 2019 6:10 am

Originally Posted by asdfghjk (Post 31074098)
Thanks.
I guess I am stuck with the extra charge then.

they can't charge you something that it isn't indicate during the booking.

Each rate on IHG shows the room taxes, resort fee /whatever and if applicable "extra change" for adult.
As far as you can see the "100.00 USD per extra adult starting with the 3rd adult. (not included in price)" is only on the best flexible rate.

On the award booking and on the advance purchase rate there isn't the extra change for the 3rd adult and I'm sure there isn't any mention about it on your confirmation e-mail.

Don't pay it and fight it

Engineering Travel May 7, 2019 6:59 am

Ive just asked a similar question in another thread (CP Vilamoura),
But during some of my reward stays that I have made, these additional ''extras'' are being added.

IC Berlin, IC Dusseldorf 2nd person supplement added to reward booking, this was visible in upcoming stays. (Second person supplement is normal in Germany)
By paying for Ambassador status, then cancelling and re-booking the nights, this charge was removed, so paying for AMB was in effect a saving.

Now I have the one night gift cert, which, in the same way I wish to use for 3 persons (2 adults +14 yr old) staying at the IC Lisbon. Booking a standard room (via the redeem free night cert link) for 3, shows a 55 Euro a night supplement for the third person. This rate does not include breakfast. So total cost for two nights was coming in at 700Euro or there abouts inc breakfast. After a bit more playing with different rooms etc, I found booking a club floor room including access to the club lounge was 600Euro for two nights and no supplements. Using the club lounge will save on breakfast cost and fizzy stuff at night..

There are many catches with rewards bookings, so its always best to check and double check and then check again..then post on here...

asdfghjk May 7, 2019 9:39 am

Originally Posted by jorun (Post 31075355)
they can't charge you something that it isn't indicate during the booking.
Don't pay it and fight it

You are right, the additional fee is not on the original booking/confirmation email.
I read somewhere here or on TA that another person did fight it and won, but in the end still had to pay the same amount for the rollaway bed. The hotel argued something along the line: ok, you don't have to pay the additional guest fee if you don't need additional bedding (3 adults on 1 king bed). :)
I don't think 3 of us can fit on one king bed :)

jorun May 7, 2019 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk (Post 31076032)
You are right, the additional fee is not on the original booking/confirmation email.
I read somewhere here or on TA that another person did fight it and won, but in the end still had to pay the same amount for the rollaway bed. The hotel argued something along the line: ok, you don't have to pay the additional guest fee if you don't need additional bedding (3 adults on 1 king bed). :)
I don't think 3 of us can fit on one king bed :)

listen we are talking about a 5 star hotel. You are booking a room for 3 adults which means that there must be minimum two queen bed or three single bed.
You don't have to care if they put the rolling bed or whatever (it's up to them).

No one can ask you more money with "fake" fee which doesn't show during the booking process and on your booking confirmation.

My suggest is to make screenshot of the whole process during your booking on IHG and if they really will force you to pay, you will clearly say that you will call IHG and let the newspaper know about the situation and charge back with your credit card company.

Don't let them scam you.

MrsW May 7, 2019 1:44 pm

We are a family of three. We have visited a large number of IC and IHG hotels and we have never been charged a supplement either when spending points or cash. Recently we have stayed ICs in Miami, Miami Doral, Marseille, London O2, Geneva and Montreal on points and not been asked for a penny extra.