Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

What's your preferred "budget" IHG hotel? HI/HIE/Staybridge/Candlewood?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Traveling through the midwest in some smaller cities this year where the only IHG brand options are HI / HI express and Staybridge/Candlewood or sometimes it just makes sense to go a bit more budget for that trip/location and no need to do luxury or "nice" rooms.

Is there any major differences between those brands or are they essentially the same experience? Seems like HI Express and the Staybridge/Candlewood has free breakfast usually included ('breakfast')
Old May 2, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Candlewood Suites serves no breakfast at all, and yet has no restaurant either (just a pantry, and you have mini-kitchen in your room). It feels "functional", like it's designed for people who have to do temporary work in a location, not so much for vacationers.

StayBridge Suites tends to be the nicest of these 4. Its' all suites, and it serves a breakfast buffet that's definitely better than what HIX used to be, I haven't compared them since the HIX breakfast upgrade about a year ago. They may also have an evening social some weeknights with light food.

HIX upgraded their breakfast about a year ago so that the hot eggs and potatoes taste way better than at most other non-suite hotels that offer free breakfast to all.

HI has a restaurant and charges for the all meals. Some are nice while some are kinda yucky old and decrepit ones, so more so than the other 3 brands here you have to check the reviews.
ginmqi likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
If there's a Staybridge, that is usually my choice. The rooms are fantastic (even if they weren't budget rooms) and you get a full breakfast. However, the new Holiday Inn Expresses aren't too shabby either. There's really no time I ever consider Candlewood.
ginmqi likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:20 am

Staybridge budget? most of them are nicer them many CPs

Candlewood on the other hand is only a step or two about a trailer park
Jon Maiman, ginmqi and DiverDave like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:20 am

Agreed. Staybidge for sure. On some weeknights, they also offer a light dinner with salads and maybe 1 hot item. Some even offer alcoholic drinks with the evening social.
ginmqi likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Staybridge is my favorite - free breakfast and social hour (with alcohol) a few nights a week. The ONLY downside is the 5x points earnings vs 10x. If it wasn't for this, I would almost exclusively stay at Staybridge.

Candlewood is my go-to if I need cheap. Never had an issue, but you get what you pay for and they aren't fancy.

HI/HIX isn't that big of a difference to me. HIX breakfast has always been pretty bad to me so that doesn't matter. I find most of my stays here though because of the 10x points at these brands. HI can have some older properties as mentioned above, so you have to check reviews. Most HIX are newer it seems and generally a safe bet.
ginmqi likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:02 pm

I wanted yo use my IHG free night and points for our upcoming week long days in San Diego.There are few HIE and staybridges too. Wanted one with breakfast and cheaper parking. Might stay at the HIE in old town or StayBridge suites but it looks like it is in middle of no where.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter

What is CP?
Old May 3, 2019, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Candlewood Suites serves no breakfast at all, and yet has no restaurant either (just a pantry, and you have mini-kitchen in your room). It feels "functional", like it's designed for people who have to do temporary work in a location, not so much for vacationers.

StayBridge Suites tends to be the nicest of these 4. Its' all suites, and it serves a breakfast buffet that's definitely better than what HIX used to be, I haven't compared them since the HIX breakfast upgrade about a year ago. They may also have an evening social some weeknights with light food.

HIX upgraded their breakfast about a year ago so that the hot eggs and potatoes taste way better than at most other non-suite hotels that offer free breakfast to all.

HI has a restaurant and charges for the all meals. Some are nice while some are kinda yucky old and decrepit ones, so more so than the other 3 brands here you have to check the reviews.
Originally Posted by Super Mario
If there's a Staybridge, that is usually my choice. The rooms are fantastic (even if they weren't budget rooms) and you get a full breakfast. However, the new Holiday Inn Expresses aren't too shabby either. There's really no time I ever consider Candlewood.

Originally Posted by db1234db1234
Agreed. Staybidge for sure. On some weeknights, they also offer a light dinner with salads and maybe 1 hot item. Some even offer alcoholic drinks with the evening social.
Thank you all for the responses above! Really helpful! Looks like I'll look into Staybridge for the most part and then potentially HIX if it works for the situation.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:09 pm

Keep in mind that you will only get 5 points per $ at Staybridge and Candlewood rather than 10.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
What is CP?

Crowne Plaza
Old May 3, 2019, 6:35 pm

Crowne Plaza
Okay. Crown plaza is part of hilton or IHG?

No breakfast or suite room at CP right?
Old May 3, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Depends on price of course. I do like Staybridge, then I look for HIE, the HI, I don't care much for Candlewood, but will stay there if that's the coice.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Okay. Crown plaza is part of hilton or IHG?

No breakfast or suite room at CP right?
CP would be considered a full service hotel, although below IC. Some such as SIN airport are nice. Suite upgrades might be available for high tier elites, but their normal rooms are not suites or junior suites.
Old May 4, 2019, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Geography and location play a great part in this.

In parts of the world, particularly in Asia, the HIX offer can blow most US Holiday Inns and Crowne Plazas out of the water.

I've just finished a stay at a Beijing HIX. Not he ritziest HIX in the region, but comparing it to, say, the SFO Crowne Plaza would be a chalk and cheese exercise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.