Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

What's your preferred "budget" IHG hotel? HI/HIE/Staybridge/Candlewood?

What's your preferred "budget" IHG hotel? HI/HIE/Staybridge/Candlewood?

Old May 4, 19, 8:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire
Another Staybridge fan here- generally newer and in good condition and you get a lot for your money.

There are good Candlewoods out there but you need to critically read reviews on a non-IHG web site to tease them out from the mediocre to bad ones.
Old May 4, 19, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
I'm also a Staybridge fan. My preference goes Staybridge > HIX > HI > Candlewood. I like Staybridge best because it offers all-suites accommodation with a good inclusive breakfast and amenities like a swimming pool. I think of it as an all-suites HIX. Unfortunately there are few Staybridge properties.

I like Candlewood least because though it's also all-suites there's no breakfast and no pool. Also, the quality of the furnishings has often been a noticeable step down from what I'd expect in a HIX or Staybridge. That said, though, if I'm just doing an "8 hours and a shower" type stay and the price is good, I'll stay there.
Old May 5, 19, 3:27 am

We've found the new to recently opened HIXes around Europe to be of perfectly good standard and are a safe bet when driving south in the summer. Breakfast obviously isn't your concious-influencer-organic-gluten-free-wholefoods-magic-boosting-kale based snowflake thing, but it works
Old May 6, 19, 9:58 am

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
I'll add one more vote to the staybridge as I like the full kitchens and other home like conviences they offer while traveling. But, I will note my preference is staybridge for stays longer than one night but tend to look too HIX if it is just a one night stay because:

the beds at HIX tend to be more comfortable that staybridge as generally they have a pillowtop...

So, if it is just a one night stayover and all I really need is a comfy bed then HIX gets my vote!
Old May 6, 19, 1:10 pm

Programs: QANTAS, Oneworld
HIX works well for me, then CP if there’s no HIX in a good-for-me location.
Old Jun 6, 19, 3:25 pm

Programs: Delta FO, WN A-List, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold, Hilton Silver
I prefer to look for newer HIX properties. The ones that are relatively new construction (in last 10 years) are very modern and well-designed, clean, and functional. Breakfast is “functional” as well - adequate for me. I don’t need a full service restaurant.

I now avoid any extended stay type of hotel, no matter the chain. Too many times I’ve had to deal with noise, unsavory types loitering outside, domestic disputes, overcrowded rooms, and questionable cooking skills (read: burned food & fire hazards).

However caution is advised on older HIX or HI properties. I’ve noticed that the range of cleanliness and condition of these properties can be “dated but decent” to downright squalid. The old Allentown Holiday Inn downtown (now closed) was stuck in the early 1980s and I got attacked by bedbugs in it. I sometimes wonder how some properties can keep their IHG flag...
Old Jun 6, 19, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: WN AL+/CP, IHG AMB/Plat, HH/Mar Gold, UA Dirt
Originally Posted by somedudefromFLa View Post
I'll add one more vote to the staybridge as I like the full kitchens and other home like conviences they offer while traveling. But, I will note my preference is staybridge for stays longer than one night but tend to look too HIX if it is just a one night stay because:

the beds at HIX tend to be more comfortable that staybridge as generally they have a pillowtop...

So, if it is just a one night stayover and all I really need is a comfy bed then HIX gets my vote!
I am opposite as Staybridge doesn’t get daily full housekeeping. For one night it doesn’t matter. The 5x points earning v 10 is another negative.
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:05 am

Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
Staybridge budget? most of them are nicer them many CPs

Candlewood on the other hand is only a step or two about a trailer park
Well, not exactly. The fact that there is no breakfast (CS DOESN'T offer) is fine, as most HIX breakfasts are not really healthy nor tasty. I usually stay in the CS's in Jacksonville, FL and make our own breakfast (of course my GF is Thai so she makes a Thai feast.) The beds are great and the pillows some of the best of the budget priced properties. And, the CS on Merrill usually UPG's me to a real suite. Also has some of the fastest Wifi I've had anywhere (except in my home in Bangkok-when will the US catch up to the quality broadband and I only pay US$27 for 100Mb, TV and cell.)

Definitely not trailer park, though I do like the Jacksonville Marriott also, though slower Wifi.
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven View Post
Okay. Crown plaza is part of hilton or IHG?

No breakfast or suite room at CP right?
CP is part of IHG
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
HIX is the safest in my opinion because they're the most consistent. While there's very little special about them and you're not likely to get any kind of an upgrade and they don't have a bar I have only been to one HIX in my traveling life that was bad and its been subsequently deflagged. Every other property was exactly what I was expecting or a little better.

HI meanwhile is all over the map. So many used to be other hotels and you have no idea what to expect. Will there be a lounge? Will it be a high rise? What will the room be like? What will the restaurant and bar be like? Some are very good and some are terrible.

CS I like but they have some pretty bad properties and I'm sorry to say can sometimes attract people you'd prefer not to stay with.
Old Jun 9, 19, 9:56 pm

Programs: A3*S, LH, SQ, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Marriot Silver
HIX especially if not ancient (like some are in the US). In Asia many are newer properties and do the job just fine sometimes rivalling plain vanilla HIs. Only noise insulation can be poor in some of the ones I stayed at, e.g. in Indonesia, Thailand, HKG, etc.
Old Jun 10, 19, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
HIXes are easier to find, especially in the UK, so it's easier to make it a go-to. But if there's a similarly priced Staybridge nearby, I would definitely prefer it. The 5x points doesn't matter that much to me, nor does the infrequent housekeeping, as even with HIX I opt in for the Greener Stay preference anyway to exchange housekeeping with bonus points.
Old Jun 18, 19, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Geography and location play a great part in this.

In parts of the world, particularly in Asia, the HIX offer can blow most US Holiday Inns and Crowne Plazas out of the water.

I've just finished a stay at a Beijing HIX. Not he ritziest HIX in the region, but comparing it to, say, the SFO Crowne Plaza would be a chalk and cheese exercise.
You're right about geography playing a huge part, so Beijing HIX and SFO CP is not a fair comparison. Crowne Plazas in Asia are phenomenal while those in the US are mediocre at best. The SFO CP is probably more than 50 years old based on the style and decor. I do happen to like it, but more for the reasonable price (for SF), easy suite upgrades and great restaurant. Try the Crowne Plaza East Kowloon in Hong Kong however, and it completely blows away pretty much any IC in North America... or just about any hotel in North America for that matter. Many other CPs in the region are similar, hotels in Asia tend to be newer and generally far more glamorous than their counterparts in North America.