Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: craigthemif
A new season and a new IHG Accelerate promotion. Answers to some Frequently Asked Questions below:

For newcomers to IHG promotions, note that Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn (including Holiday Inn Resorts) are two different brand categories for these things. If your dashboard says 'stay at a Holiday Inn Express' as one of the tasks and you stay at a Holiday Inn, it will NOT credit for the Holiday Inn Express task. (and vice versa)

For a task that says 'Stay X number of times at a Holiday Inn Express' (or Holiday Inn, Intercontinental, etc.) each stay must be at a different property for it to fully credit rather than staying at the same property multiple times.

An award stay only counts toward a task that specifically requires an award stay and will not count toward other tasks and night requirements for the purposes of the promotion. (Award stays do count toward general elite qualification, but that's outside this promotion)

'Redeem points' award nights only count for the 'redeem points' task and no other tasks. (example- an award night does not count toward 'Stay X number of nights')

At IHG, points + cash stays are simply points stays where you bought some of the points at the time of the reservation. Once you finish the reservation, a points + cash stay shows as a points stay. Thus points + cash stays only count for tasks where they are specified, and not other tasks.

Other than the tasks for redeeming points and point + cash reservations, tasks are generally very stackable. Enjoy the game of figuring out how to get the most out of the least amount of nights and money.

Doing a points + cash booking and then cancelling it does NOT trigger a 'buy points' task completion. A 'buy points' task is a points transaction that is processed through points.com

The 'pay with your IHG credit card' task has typically been very slow to post. If it does within about two weeks of completing a stay, that's relatively quick, and it will often be several weeks beyond that, depending on when your statement closing date is and how IHG's system sweep is timed.

Some offers require booking within the promotion period in addition to staying during the promotion period.

Registration & dashboard link:

https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/offers/accelerate2019
Print Wikipost

New Accelerate Promotion (May 01, 2019 - August 31, 2019

Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: NEXUS, Aeroplan, SkyMiles, WestJet, IHG Platinum, IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by b8brooks
I'm an infrequent IHG customer, but my Accelerate offer actually has tempted me to shuffle summer travel stays toward IHG properties. I think it's a good offer, certainly for my travel patterns and needs.

12,000 - Discover Our Brands
Stay at 2 brands and get 12,000 bonus points

8,000 - Saturday Stays Bonus
Stay 2 weekend(s), including a Saturday night and another night, and earn 8,000 bonus points.

4,500 - Stay for Less and Earn
Book 1 stay(s) using Points & Cash and earn 4,500 bonus points. Points & Cash allows you to book Reward Nights with fewer points.

5,600 - Stay at 2 IHG® Hotels
Stay at 2 IHG® hotel(s) and earn 5,600 bonus points.

30,100 - Your Achievement Bonus
Complete 4 of the 4 offers and earn (an additional) 30,100 bonus points

So, basically, two two-night weekend stays at different brands, plus one Points and Cash booking, for 60,200 bonus points.
That seems like a pretty solid offer to me (but I'm a newb). For comparison, my offers are:
8,400 - Discover Our Brands
5,600 - Saturday Stays Bonus
5,600 - Stay at 2 IHG Hotels
6,600 - Earn More, Faster (book 2 Bonus Points Package stays)

I find it interesting that my "Discover our Brands" and "Saturday Stays Bonus" tasks offered fewer bonus points than yours did. And I don't seem to have an offer to receive added bonus points for completing all 4 challenges. Oh well, that's the nature of "personalised" promos I guess.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
3-5 weeks now for 2 of my completed tasks to update.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Croptop
As a data point for you to decide if it's time to escalate, I completed 2 of my Accelerate tasks with a 2-day stay at an HIX this past weekend (Friday and Saturday night stay). The points (including the Accelerate task bonus points) posted to my account by Tuesday morning and my Accelerate dashboard was updated accordingly.

I should note that this is my first time actually taking part in the Accelerate promo so I have no prior experience to gauge this against.
Thanks! I will escalate since my previous 3-4 accelerate promotions have always updated itself within a week.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Typically my stay based tasks post quickly - 3-5 days. Things like stay at 2 brands, do a 4 night stay, etc

Hiw long does the “pay for a stay with your IHG MasterCard” take to post? Is it linked to your CC monthly closing date? Anyone know?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Hiw long does the “pay for a stay with your IHG MasterCard” take to post?
Four weeks later, my task did not show completed. I would have called, but I've been busy (reading FlyerTalk, among other things).
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Typically my stay based tasks post quickly - 3-5 days. Things like stay at 2 brands, do a 4 night stay, etc

Hiw long does the “pay for a stay with your IHG MasterCard” take to post? Is it linked to your CC monthly closing date? Anyone know?
As soon as the stay posts. No, it is not linked to your credit card closing date. I had this task in the previous Accelerate.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:25 pm

Anyone know why I don’t get this offer anymore? Used to get a accelerate like clockwork but for the last two it says I’m not eligible. I have been staying at ihg so it is annoying.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by kitbag1984
Anyone know why I don’t get this offer anymore? Used to get a accelerate like clockwork but for the last two it says I’m not eligible. I have been staying at ihg so it is annoying.
You answered it. You have been staying there. No need to give you incentive to stay.

Last qtr I got a crappy 2X only. I didn’t stay with ihg at all. This qtr I got a decent promo.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CalItalian
As soon as the stay posts. No, it is not linked to your credit card closing date. I had this task in the previous Accelerate.
My stay posted but it has not been credited to the “use an IHG credit card” task yet. It has been 3 biz days since the stay posted.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:32 pm

Thanks I would have been happy with even a small offer !
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kitbag1984
It appears IHG is breaking up the Accelerate offers into different periods for different members. I, too, was puzzled by being ineligible for the one that started in May, but today I received an Accelerate offer for July 1 to October 31. Anyone who wasn't eligible for the May offer should check their email and/or IHG account.

I assume the new promo should, as usual, have its own thread, so I started one here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...l#post31239335
Global Adventurer likes this.

Last edited by joe_miami; Jun 25, 2019 at 3:33 pm
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I have received credit for the 4.5K bonus points in my account and have canceled the reservation. The 4.5K bonus, the 5K used, and the 5K purchased have been placed in my account. Now, I'll wait to see if the 4.5K gets clawed back and the completed task rescinded. If not, I'm ahead of the game; if not, I bought 5K points, spent $40 to test my theory, and still have nearly two months to book and complete a C&P stay.
It's now three days after the checkout for my "stay" connected with this task. The points from the task as well as credit for the completed task remain on my Accelerate dashboard. I haven't completed two more tasks necessary for the full Accelerate bonus although my currently planned stays should put me over the top, and my last scheduled stay is far enough before August 31 that I should have time to do another P&C if for some reason IHG claws back the completion of the P&C task, but my experience here indicates that a P&C stay booked but canceled will qualify as a completed task.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I did a Points + Cash redemption and stay in early May that should have netted me 4500 points. To date, my dashboard remains bare. So, the other day I wrote to customer service, receiving this reply yesterday:

My name is... and I'm happy to help you with your Ambassador Spire Elite account.

I see that you're looking for your points from Stay for Less and Earn offer.

I'm sorry we're unable to post the points now because we're having issues on our system. Don't worry, we'll keep your account monitored. Once the issue is fixed, we'll post your points right away.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I did a Points + Cash redemption and stay in early May that should have netted me 4500 points. To date, my dashboard remains bare. So, the other day I wrote to customer service, receiving this reply yesterday:

My name is... and I'm happy to help you with your Ambassador Spire Elite account.

I see that you're looking for your points from Stay for Less and Earn offer.

I'm sorry we're unable to post the points now because we're having issues on our system. Don't worry, we'll keep your account monitored. Once the issue is fixed, we'll post your points right away.
IHG's IT must be really odd. I have followed this thread, of course, and have seen the multiple reports of folks having problems with stays posting and tasks being marked as complete. I haven't had a single issue with that. With the exception of the "pay for a stay with the IHG Select," which I knew would take weeks to post because the payment for a stay doesn't post until after the statement date has closed, all of my tasks have been marked with either progress or completion in about three days.

You'd think it should either work or not work pretty equally across different members, but clearly that is not the case.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Completed a few tasks over the weekend, namely the book 2 bonus points packages one and the book with points and cash one. I haven't ha anything credit to my account yet, and the Accelerate page shows zero progress. I thought these things posted at the same time as the regular points for the stay, so the task page updated itself immediately. Or has something changed, which will now require manual intervention?

Although everything posted correctly in terms of the points for the stays (including 1,000 bonus points each time for the bonus points packages) I had a bit of a struggle with the bill for the Holiday Inn Express Bridgewater, SW England, at checkout. Somehow the girl had added 13 pints of beer to my bill (I had had one free one with the gold member drink voucher and one paid one). I guess she typed the thing in wrong, but just as well I am checking everything before signing off on the credit card. In the end, the manager waived the lot. Then I had to politely struggle with the DCC scam, where they were insisting on billing me in Swiss francs (the currency of my card) whereas I wanted to pay in English pounds. New hotel, teething troubles?

By the way, you've ordered a drink or two and you want to charge it to your room (to get more points or for convenience). Just make sure you check the paper slip they bring to your table before signing it.

Last edited by Concerto; Jun 27, 2019 at 1:35 am Reason: more info

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.