Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: craigthemif
A new season and a new IHG Accelerate promotion. Answers to some Frequently Asked Questions below:

For newcomers to IHG promotions, note that Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn (including Holiday Inn Resorts) are two different brand categories for these things. If your dashboard says 'stay at a Holiday Inn Express' as one of the tasks and you stay at a Holiday Inn, it will NOT credit for the Holiday Inn Express task. (and vice versa)

For a task that says 'Stay X number of times at a Holiday Inn Express' (or Holiday Inn, Intercontinental, etc.) each stay must be at a different property for it to fully credit rather than staying at the same property multiple times.

An award stay only counts toward a task that specifically requires an award stay and will not count toward other tasks and night requirements for the purposes of the promotion. (Award stays do count toward general elite qualification, but that's outside this promotion)

'Redeem points' award nights only count for the 'redeem points' task and no other tasks. (example- an award night does not count toward 'Stay X number of nights')

At IHG, points + cash stays are simply points stays where you bought some of the points at the time of the reservation. Once you finish the reservation, a points + cash stay shows as a points stay. Thus points + cash stays only count for tasks where they are specified, and not other tasks.

Other than the tasks for redeeming points and point + cash reservations, tasks are generally very stackable. Enjoy the game of figuring out how to get the most out of the least amount of nights and money.

Doing a points + cash booking and then cancelling it does NOT trigger a 'buy points' task completion. A 'buy points' task is a points transaction that is processed through points.com

The 'pay with your IHG credit card' task has typically been very slow to post. If it does within about two weeks of completing a stay, that's relatively quick, and it will often be several weeks beyond that, depending on when your statement closing date is and how IHG's system sweep is timed.

Some offers require booking within the promotion period in addition to staying during the promotion period.

Registration & dashboard link:

https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/offers/accelerate2019
Print Wikipost

New Accelerate Promotion (May 01, 2019 - August 31, 2019

Old May 22, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by 336
Stay for Less and EarnBook 1 stay(s) using Points & Cash and earn 4,500 bonus points. Points & Cash allows you to book Reward Nights with fewer points.

Is it possible to trigger this task by simply booking and cancelling?
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Came to ask the same thing. The wiki does not answer the question but after reading up-thread, it looks like the answer is a qualified yes, as long as the points for this task has posted before you cancel. Looks like this one is awarded based on P+C booking made, not booking/stay completed.
Always a good idea to check the T&C's associated with any specific task you may have, but the general answer is 'no, points are awarded on completion of the stay'.

My wife had a similar task in the earlier Multibrand promotion and the T&C's were: "Number of bonus points listed above will be awarded after required number of "Points & Cash" Reward Nights have been redeemed/purchased and consumed by the member between 15 January 2019 and 30 April 2019 (both dates inclusive) at InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Hotel Indigo®, Holiday Inn®, Holiday Inn Express®, Staybridge Suites®, Candlewood Suites®, Kimpton®, EVEN®, avid™, voco™, Regent® Hotels & Resorts or HUALUXE® hotels worldwide (subject to availability determined by individual hotels)." [bolding mine]
Old May 22, 2019, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
I've got two tasks that are a little bit vague:

10,500 Stay More, Earn More
Get closer to the rewards you want when you stay 7 night(s) and earn 10,500 bonus points.

5,600 Stay at 6 IHG Hotels
Stay at 6 IHG hotel(s) and earn 5,600 bonus points.

Does the first one above mean I have to stay 7 consecutive nights? I sort of think not, because it does not specify consecutive nights. But it does somehow illogically overlap with the next task.

Ah, I think I understand now: the first one requires 7 overall nights, whether multinight stays or single night stays, while the second one requires 6 stays at separate hotels, irrespective of whether the stay is one or more nights.
From my experience, your final line understanding is correct. 7 overall nights and 6 stays at different hotels.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Expat_852
Always a good idea to check the T&C's associated with any specific task you may have, but the general answer is 'no, points are awarded on completion of the stay'.

My wife had a similar task in the earlier Multibrand promotion and the T&C's were: "Number of bonus points listed above will be awarded after required number of "Points & Cash" Reward Nights have been redeemed/purchased and consumed by the member between 15 January 2019 and 30 April 2019 (both dates inclusive) at InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Hotel Indigo®, Holiday Inn®, Holiday Inn Express®, Staybridge Suites®, Candlewood Suites®, Kimpton®, EVEN®, avid™, voco™, Regent® Hotels & Resorts or HUALUXE® hotels worldwide (subject to availability determined by individual hotels)." [bolding mine]
While T&Cs certainly have their value, and can help enforce when there is an issue, it does not fully answer the question here.

Often there is a difference between theory and practice, hence why any experience of others is valuable on this specific situation.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:07 am

My current offer is certainly not as good as the last (Multibrand) one.
45,100 pts for 5 Brands / 2 IC / 1 x P+C / 4 x BPP / 2x4n.
So minimum 6 stays, 12 nights (2x4n + 4x1n) of which 1x4n stay must be at P+C or BPP.
And no one-off bonus or completion bonus.

Old May 22, 2019, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by 336
While T&Cs certainly have their value, and can help enforce when there is an issue, it does not fully answer the question here.

Often there is a difference between theory and practice, hence why any experience of others is valuable on this specific situation.
Ah. I had not appreciated your thinking of possible in theory and possible in practice when reading the initial question. Often a 'possible' question is asked that is simply looking for the intention of the task.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Has anyone received credits for stays on this promotion yet?

I have stayed a few times since 1st May which qualify for the "different brands" but nothing has appeared on my promo.

I know IHG IT is cr*p but this is taking a while to show anything.

Thanks
Old May 23, 2019, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'm coming up on three weeks with no credit for my points-and-cash stay booked and consumed during the promo period.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Looks like I chose the right time to ditch IHG and it’s crappy IT and promotions!

After eventually being able to register, my tasks for this promotion were pretty unattractive.
Currently channeling most of my stays in Hilton’s direction and filling in the gaps elsewhere.

Sorry IHG, but your offers don’t do it for me!

Last edited by adobbing; May 23, 2019 at 12:19 pm
Old May 23, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'm coming up on three weeks with no credit for my points-and-cash stay booked and consumed during the promo period.
So it's the usual waiting game until the spotty teenage does his homework, stop playing Minecraft and gets round to updating everyone's status.

Usual IHG IT Fiasco.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by adobbing
Looks like I chose the right time to ditch IHG and it’s crappy IT and promotions!

IHG really does seem to have the worst IT. I have had to chase a few times the last year either

1) the 10% points rebate that I am supposed to get on award bookings as an ambassador member
or
2) occasionally when you cancel a points booking, the points do not go back into the account
oe
3) no points awarded for meeting promo goal

Each time, they manually add the points when phoned - but it i really annoying because you basically have to check and double check everything. I am sure there are many people who lose out on points from these frequent IT glitches and don't notice.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by Travelomania
Same here

Update: I was just told by Rewards-assistance that the current promo is targeted and I should have received an email invitation.
I called twice:

The first person told me that the promo is targeted.
The second said it is for those from US only.

I've not called the third time because I'm not sure if it is just IT glitch (and customer service know none of it ) or IHG had changed their promotion to "US only" going forward

Update: I think the call center is trying to BS. Someone non-US confirmed that he registered for this promo. Annoying.

Last edited by LuisHK; May 24, 2019 at 4:12 am
Old May 26, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by 336
Stay for Less and EarnBook 1 stay(s) using Points & Cash and earn 4,500 bonus points. Points & Cash allows you to book Reward Nights with fewer points.

Is it possible to trigger this task by simply booking and cancelling?

Just a datapoint - I booked a points and cash stay yesterday with this promo and the 4,500 promo points posted just moments after booking. FWIW this was a same day booking so it was not cancellable.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
So you already consumed your stay, so to speak? I booked a cash and points stay for June and nothing has posted or changed in any way. I fully expect to get the points after consuming the stay, to use their terminology. If it doesn't turn up, I'm not going to bother chasing up, 4,500 points is just not worth the hassle.
Old May 26, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by Concerto
So you already consumed your stay, so to speak? I booked a cash and points stay for June and nothing has posted or changed in any way. I fully expect to get the points after consuming the stay, to use their terminology. If it doesn't turn up, I'm not going to bother chasing up, 4,500 points is just not worth the hassle.
The points were posted at booking. It listed 9500 points added to my account (5000 purchased from the booking+4500 from the promotion) at that time. So, the bonus points were bundled together with the purchased points.

Since I booked the day of my stay, it was non refundable at that point. However, in the past, accelerate points have posted days (or weeks or months) after the stay was completed. So, this was notable.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've been waiting 2-3 weeks for 10,800 points for staying at 3 brands.
Just booked a stay for this weekend using points + cash so will see when the 4500 points for that post.
Could pick up a Ł59 Crowne Plaza on Sunday to complete my "2 stays at Crowne Plaza hotels" for 8400 points.

Not sure if my Fri / Sat night points + cash counts as my second weekend stay to complete that task.

Only leaves me the "2 stays of 4 nights" one if the above complete.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.