Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: craigthemif
A new season and a new IHG Accelerate promotion. Answers to some Frequently Asked Questions below:

For newcomers to IHG promotions, note that Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn (including Holiday Inn Resorts) are two different brand categories for these things. If your dashboard says 'stay at a Holiday Inn Express' as one of the tasks and you stay at a Holiday Inn, it will NOT credit for the Holiday Inn Express task. (and vice versa)

For a task that says 'Stay X number of times at a Holiday Inn Express' (or Holiday Inn, Intercontinental, etc.) each stay must be at a different property for it to fully credit rather than staying at the same property multiple times.

An award stay only counts toward a task that specifically requires an award stay and will not count toward other tasks and night requirements for the purposes of the promotion. (Award stays do count toward general elite qualification, but that's outside this promotion)

'Redeem points' award nights only count for the 'redeem points' task and no other tasks. (example- an award night does not count toward 'Stay X number of nights')

At IHG, points + cash stays are simply points stays where you bought some of the points at the time of the reservation. Once you finish the reservation, a points + cash stay shows as a points stay. Thus points + cash stays only count for tasks where they are specified, and not other tasks.

Other than the tasks for redeeming points and point + cash reservations, tasks are generally very stackable. Enjoy the game of figuring out how to get the most out of the least amount of nights and money.

Doing a points + cash booking and then cancelling it does NOT trigger a 'buy points' task completion. A 'buy points' task is a points transaction that is processed through points.com

The 'pay with your IHG credit card' task has typically been very slow to post. If it does within about two weeks of completing a stay, that's relatively quick, and it will often be several weeks beyond that, depending on when your statement closing date is and how IHG's system sweep is timed.

Some offers require booking within the promotion period in addition to staying during the promotion period.

Registration & dashboard link:

https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/offers/accelerate2019
Print Wikipost

New Accelerate Promotion (May 01, 2019 - August 31, 2019

Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:29 pm

I think it's clear they've had some IT problems with this promotion and are aware of that, and that they, sensibly, are not going to try to fix things up by hand as and when people complain, but are instead planning on a bulk process that will award everyone their missing points. Worst case, maybe only after the promotion closes...

EDIT: Well, actually, worst case, the process they apply still messes up leaving many of us having to apply for missing points - but hopefully it won't come to that.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Concerto
I just wonder if it's got something to do with the difficulties we had in registering way back at the beginning. A lot of folk received messages saying they were not eligible for this promotion.
I had no problem registering but my points from the tasks have not posted. That doesn't mean it isn't related to the troubles some people had registering, of course.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I just wondered if it had anything to do with the ineligibility message many of us received. Perhaps we were indeed ineligible for this version of the promotion, but somehow the system let us sign up anyway but isn't calibrated for processing the stays as related to the promo. I know it's a long shot, but I'm just clawing for explanations, mainly because I have never had any problems with this promo before. But if so many people are in the same boat I expect it will get sorted out eventually. Having said that, I haven't been proactively booking IHG to fulfill the remaining tasks of this promo just in case it turns out to be a mess. I have been booking offers elsewhere (Hilton, hotels.com, etc).
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I just wondered if it had anything to do with the ineligibility message many of us received. Perhaps we were indeed ineligible for this version of the promotion, but somehow the system let us sign up anyway but isn't calibrated for processing the stays as related to the promo. I know it's a long shot, but I'm just clawing for explanations, mainly because I have never had any problems with this promo before. But if so many people are in the same boat I expect it will get sorted out eventually. Having said that, I haven't been proactively booking IHG to fulfill the remaining tasks of this promo just in case it turns out to be a mess. I have been booking offers elsewhere (Hilton, hotels.com, etc).
But mine is half complete. One promo worked fine. But two didnt. Not sure if the credit card one will work. That one is TBD
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Oh so it's just a general mess then. Probably just as well I am directing stays away from IHG and not bothering to finish the promo. It's not a brilliant promo, anyway, this time round.
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:39 am

I just wondered if it had anything to do with the ineligibility message many of us received. Perhaps we were indeed ineligible for this version of the promotion, but somehow the system let us sign up anyway but isn't calibrated for processing the stays as related to the promo.
I don't think that's it.

I received an email on 20 May with subject line "Your monthly exclusive offers are ready" promoting the new Accelerate promotion, and telling me how many points I could earn. I had problems signing up, initially being told I was ineligible, and then having a blank dashboard. But when the offers finally appeared on the dashboard, the total points I can earn fro my offers match that in the email from 20 May. So if this was a targeted offer (and I really don't think it was), then it's fairly clear that I was targeted for it.

And yet, I've completed two of the tasks, and there are no updates at all showing on the dashboard, and no points posted.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Not sure if the credit card one will work.
It hasn't worked for me yet. I was told it would be fixed by July 01, but IHG missed that self-imposed deadline.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Wow, I am really fortunate in the way IHG IT has handled my Accelerate promo. All of my tasks, other than the one requiring use of a Chase IHG Select for a booking, have posted within several days, and I certainly expected that posting on the Select task would not occur until after the billing cycle had ended. My most recent stay, which helped me complete the task requiring two stays of four nights or more, ended at 9 a.m. Sunday with checkout. By 3 p.m. Tuesday, the points from the stay had posted as well as the points from the completion of the extended stay task.

There is no consistency that I can see with how IHG IT has handled promos across different members. Some have had problems, some have not.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Number of bonus points listed above will be awarded after you purchase 1 qualified night(s) with your IHG Rewards Club Credit Card between May 1, 2019 and August 31, 2019 (both dates inclusive) at an InterContinental, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites, Even or Hualuxe hotel worldwide.

---------------------------------------------------------

No Kimpton love it seems. 🙁
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
[...] I certainly expected that posting on the Select task would not occur until after the billing cycle had ended. [...]
It is well past the end of the billing cycle when I charged a stay to the Select card, and no points have appeared and there has been no progress for that task on the Dashboard. (It would be surprising if either the points appeared or progress was shown on the Dashboard without the other event, of course.)
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
June Promo

Looks like the June promo doesn't count as an activity, despite my dashboard showing 3 of 4 activities as being completed. Needless to say, I will be escalating soon...

---

I hope everything is well! My name is Pat, and I'd be more than happy to help you with your Platinum Elite account. Thank you for being a valued member.

We appreciate you for contacting us about this. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.However, as per reviewing your Make Every Stay Count dashboard, I was able to determine that you have completed 2 out of 3 offers required to received the Your Achievement Bonus points of 10,000. I would like to take this opportunity advise that only offers listed above the Your Achievement Bonus will be counted towards the said offer.

Since the June Bonus Offer is listed below the Your Achievement Bonus offer, I regret to inform that it will not be counted.

No worries, you have until 31 August 2019 to complete the Saturday Stay Bonus offer and the Your Achievement Bonus offer.

If you need anything else, feel free to let us know wed be happy to follow up.

Best Regards,

Pat

Last edited by MKE YX; Jul 17, 2019 at 6:11 am Reason: Add Image
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MKE YX
Looks like the June promo doesn't count as an activity, despite my dashboard showing 3 of 4 activities as being completed. Needless to say, I will be escalating soon...

---

I hope everything is well! My name is Pat, and I'd be more than happy to help you with your Platinum Elite account. Thank you for being a valued member.

We appreciate you for contacting us about this. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.However, as per reviewing your Make Every Stay Count dashboard, I was able to determine that you have completed 2 out of 3 offers required to received the Your Achievement Bonus points of 10,000. I would like to take this opportunity advise that only offers listed above the Your Achievement Bonus will be counted towards the said offer.

Since the June Bonus Offer is listed below the Your Achievement Bonus offer, I regret to inform that it will not be counted.

No worries, you have until 31 August 2019 to complete the Saturday Stay Bonus offer and the Your Achievement Bonus offer.

If you need anything else, feel free to let us know wed be happy to follow up.

Best Regards,

Pat
What is the point to go any further?

In almost all Accelerate promotions before this one, all JAN/MAR/JUNE/SEP/DEC...stay promotion never counts as tasks for the completion bonus. They are all added bonus. That is why it is listed beneath the Task Completion bonus. Please do read the T&C carefully, it is very normal for this June stay task does not count for the completion bonus. Nothing wrong on IHG's part. And this had been discussed to death in previous promos.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao
What is the point to go any further?

In almost all Accelerate promotions before this one, all JAN/MAR/JUNE/SEP/DEC...stay promotion never counts as tasks for the completion bonus. They are all added bonus. That is why it is listed beneath the Task Completion bonus. Please do read the T&C carefully, it is very normal for this June stay task does not count for the completion bonus. Nothing wrong on IHG's part. And this had been discussed to death in previous promos.
When it says "complete 3 of 4 offers", it should be acceptable to complete any 3 offers. If IHG doesn't see it that way, they should stop programming the system to change "complete 3 of 3 offers" to "complete 3 of 4 offers" whenever they add an extra target.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif
When it says "complete 3 of 4 offers", it should be acceptable to complete any 3 offers. If IHG doesn't see it that way, they should stop programming the system to change "complete 3 of 3 offers" to "complete 3 of 4 offers" whenever they add an extra target.
I agree the wording is not clear. But we all know how bad IHG IT was/is/will be. The point I want to make is the historically these Jan/Apr/Jun...bonus offer is, BONUS offer and never counted as one of the completion offer. You can try to argue all day long. The reality is only IHG can determine if you are eligible for the completion. Seasoned poster here on FT knows what to expect. For me, I would not waste my time arguing with IHG. There is no point.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I agree the wording is not clear. But we all know how bad IHG IT was/is/will be.
Umm, the wording was clear. And saying that IHG IT is bad does not excuse IHG for clearly saying something and then trying to say it means something else.

The point I want to make is the historically these Jan/Apr/Jun...bonus offer is, BONUS offer and never counted as one of the completion offer.
Things change. Usually they change to benefit the company and not the consumer, but things change. Surely you're not saying that IHG couldn't change the terms of the promotion this time.

The reality is only IHG can determine if you are eligible for the completion. [...] For me, I would not waste my time arguing with IHG. There is no point.
If you said that only IHG determines whether to award points, I could agree with you. And when you say it's probably wasting time to try to get IHG (or any company) to honor its statements, I do agree with you. None of this changes the fact that IHG did say Complete 3 of the 4 offers and apparently has no qualms about reneging.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.