Search

Someone want to explain this IHG pricematch "policy?"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Someone want to explain this IHG pricematch "policy?"

Spire Inner Circle here. I was looking to book an IHG property, 3rd party site was several hundred cheaper. I emailed the Inner Circle contact about a price match. No reply. A few days later I followed up. A day or two after, was told I'd get a reply in 24-48 hours. 72 hours later, got a reply that they'd contact the property. A few more days go by, hotel emails me and asks for a screenshot of the offer I found almost 10 days earlier at this point. I send. They respond and tell me their hotel is completely sold out. I go on IHG.com, search for the hotel on my dates and see that many rooms in all classes are still for sale at the original price I was trying to beat and thank them for not responding to my question and outright lying to me. I call the worthless Inner Circle help line several times. I am told that THE ONLY way you can pricematch on an IHG property is to book your stay, then after the fact submit an online form with the pricematch request. As the rate was nonrefundable advance pay, they essentially told me I need to book and pay for this trip, then submit the price match after I am powerless to change my plans and hope IHG chooses to honor it. This seems on it's face to be an utterly insane policy and one of the stupider things I've heard of any hotel chain doing. I decided a better option would be to chuck my Inner Circle card in the trash, book the nicer Bonvoy property at the destination (even if it was 2x more/night) just to avoid every staying with IHG again. Is this in fact the only way to price match or did I just run into a slew of poorly informed agents?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:39 pm

That's how price match works with IHG. Book and then seek match. I wouldn't throw the Inner Circle card away. If you book a flexible rate, you can price match it to a different flex rate. I'm not sure if IHG would do it, but with some other program you could book flex and say in comments "I'm price matching against advance purchase rate - make my reservation advance purchase and match the rate". I've had successful best rate guarantees when it was 1st night free - but I'd always book flex and claim against flex.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I've had nothing but headaches with IHG, and honestly they almost never offer the best option in any given city. I'm going to stick with Bonvoy and not bother with IHG, if I absolutely need to stay with IHG and want an intercon upgrade i'll shell out $200 for Ambassador.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Was going to stay at Phu Quoc IC, but due to IHG's terrible policies and in general substandard hotels, paid 2x as much for the JW Marriott and will be avoiding all IHG properties. This Spire Inner Circle Elite is done with this 4th rate program, bye bye.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:39 pm

Marriott requires you to book before you can request a price match as well. Marriott’s CS wouldn’t take more than 24 hours to respond to your claim though. IHG is a poor program in general, but sometimes they have lucrative promos; whereas Marriott is pretty stingy with the promos.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
the best explanation would likely be = more trouble than it is worth ;-)
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:56 am
Suspended

Just book the cheapest rate available online. It is their loss if they can't get the direct sale.Free yourself from any program if money is an issue.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:57 am
SST

This Price Guarantee is Worthless

Not only does the OP point out that trying to match a nonrefundable rate is essentially a sucker's play, but even when you have jumped through all the hoops they simply reject claims wholesale. I booked a refundable reservation six months ago for two nights at $200+. Then, I changed the reservation to one night at a nonrefundable rate of $165. Within 24 hours, I had found the exact same room at $135 through aadvantageeshopping,com's portal, and advised them, offering to send screenshots.

First denial was because the "reservation was made in January". I advised them that the reservation was made yesterday and cited confirmation. Next denial was because "no Non Smoking Corner King room was available through the portal". This is just plain wrong. I can still see that they have two rooms available still.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I always like the angry customer logic. "It was important that I saved extra money on this. I couldn't get what I wanted. Next time, I will spend double to spite them"

Every price match policy in the history of the world has a process and exclusions. The OP didn't read it.

With that said, IHG is usually not helpful, except for when I call the ambassador line. I just book a refundable rate, and if something better comes along, I rebook. Easy enough
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

No, I DID read the policy. Was shocked by how worthless IHG is and the confluence of this and how poor the quality of IHG hotels, customer service, etc...in general is led me to conclude that further loyalty to this brand is not in my best interest. So, this Spire Inner Circle member has 0 nights booked at IHG for 2019, and I have moved all of my travel to Bonvoy/LHW.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
all to a resounding yawn ;-)
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Other than some general furtherance of knowledge, there seems little point in attempting to explain the obvious short-comings of the IHG pricematch T&C to someone who has stated he has no future intentions on staying in IHG properties.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I can't see many occasions where the new Price Mach nonsense would be worth your while. Just book the cheapest rate.

The old system, offering a free night as well as a lower price for any subsequent nights in the booking, was worth some hassle. That's why it had to go

To go to another hotel, paying twice the rate, just to spite IHG, sounds as pointless as it is barmy.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With the current scheme, might as well just book the lower rate up front and not worry about rate guarantees , nor get upset about how it works
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:02 am

I recently booked a stay at IC Fiji and while looking found a rate on agoda that was around $160 FIJ per night cheaper. Which adds up over 5 nights. I tried to get the hotel to match this at time of booking as had heard instances where Ambassador benefits or points were not honoured when booked through third party sites. They said I could only book the non-refundable rate through IHG and then submit a claim after the fact. I took the punt and did this, and my claim was successful. Which meant them matching the rate and the bonus points which hit the max 40,000. So in my instance worked out, but could easily of backfired and if claim was unsuccessful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.