Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blind man loses points!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:29 pm

Seems like actions OP could take that might be more helpful than venting here would be:
  • Help his/her friend contact IHG again, maybe via Twitter or some semi public forum, and ask for a waiver in this case.
  • Help his/her friend get an appropriate app or ability to have emails read out loud to assist in improving communication capabilities
  • If IHG provides no joy, help communicate that while 60K points sounds like a lot, the value is not really particularly high... so no need to be especially depressed.
Rifleman69 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by jblueflyer
The lack of empathy for the blind man here at FT is a bit surprising ! It does not matter if its just 60k points, a member who collected these over the years lost them because of an unfortunate life circumstance which led to a disability. IHG loses nothing in allowing him, to say purchase 1k points and keep the rest of his points as an exception. In fact it may even help IHG with all the positive PR this may bring them. FWIW I think its the right thing to do.
But OP did not say the points were lost BECAUSE of a disability. The points were lost. The person is blind. No connection was made between those two things. And then when you add that the man was aware enough of expiry rules that he had (in previous years) taken action to keep his points alive?

Sure, IHG could be nice about it, but this is a situation undoubtedly handled automatically by computer when the time was up. It's not as if the man was blinded due to an "unfortunate life circumstance" while staying at a Holiday Inn Express, and now IHG is being mean. If they don't have a policy for reinstating expired points (and I know some airlines may let you do that within the first year by paying a fee or whatever), then they don't.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Southwest Rapid Rewards
What does disability have to do with the loss of points? An automated email was sent, advising of the terms and conditions. The screen reader should read the email to the non-sighted person.

As a person with disabilities, I’m offended that the blindness was brought into it. If the person whose points expired doesn’t travel enough to keep the points, then the points expire. It is usually simple in each loyalty program to do something to earn points. He didn’t .
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I believe their are hundreds of thousands of members who are not able to read the terms and conditions because they are not published in their native language or they do not understand that legal English. They have a certain disability and need help. Nothing different with the guy mentioned in the OP. He has a disability and needs help.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I believe their are hundreds of thousands of members who are not able to read the terms and conditions because they are not published in their native language or they do not understand that legal English. They have a certain disability and need help. Nothing different with the guy mentioned in the OP. He has a disability and needs help.
Well, sure, maybe. Except (a) you don't know that this guy even attempted to read the T&C and was blocked in some way, (b) you just defined "non-native English speaker" as a disability, which is.. um.. what? and (c) this person KNEW the T&C related to points expiration according to the OP, because he had taken steps to keep his points alive in previous years. Oh, and (d) this was a new disability (again according to OP), so there's no reason to think that IHG knew anything about it.

Just looking at the use of language and the emotion of the original post makes it pretty clear (to me) that this is an emotional appeal to us to be mad at IHG, not a logical appeal as to why IHG should take steps to give this guy $300 worth of points.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jblueflyer
The lack of empathy for the blind man here at FT is a bit surprising ! ...
No, it isn't. This place is chock full of people who want the rules strictly enforced against everyone but themselves.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:52 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I think, the position are made clear. As I do not want to turn this thread into a off topic discussion about IHG and the intention, I am going to close this thread, especially as the OP did not come back to this thread.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Global Adventurer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.