Wiki Posts
Search

Which IC in UAE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Which IC in UAE

I’m being indecisive. I have 10 days’ holiday in the UAE end Jan / early Feb 2020 - in that I’ve redeemed miles to fly to Dubai. I went there on hol last December for 7 nights and stayed at the IC Festival City and enjoyed my trip. I could easly do it again.

I lived in Dubai for a few months back in 2014 so know it relatively well (albeit the pace of change there is high).

I have stayed at the IC Abu Dhabi and thought it a bit dated but enjoyed the pools and coastal location.

Not tried the Fujairah resort or IC Marina. Slighly put off Marina as went for drink there and thought hotel was a bit ‘style over substance’.

I basically want a good pool, good F&B and an interesting enough destination in case I get bored.

The IC Dubai FC is a good property and am leaning to booking it again. Can anyone talk me into 10 nights at the Fujairah resort or IC AUH instead? Likely to book club in any of them, and am a Spire Amb.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I’m being indecisive. I have 10 days’ holiday in the UAE end Jan / early Feb 2020 - in that I’ve redeemed miles to fly to Dubai. I went there on hol last December for 7 nights and stayed at the IC Festival City and enjoyed my trip. I could easly do it again.

I lived in Dubai for a few months back in 2014 so know it relatively well (albeit the pace of change there is high).

I have stayed at the IC Abu Dhabi and thought it a bit dated but enjoyed the pools and coastal location.

Not tried the Fujairah resort or IC Marina. Slighly put off Marina as went for drink there and thought hotel was a bit ‘style over substance’.

I basically want a good pool, good F&B and an interesting enough destination in case I get bored.

The IC Dubai FC is a good property and am leaning to booking it again. Can anyone talk me into 10 nights at the Fujairah resort or IC AUH instead? Likely to book club in any of them, and am a Spire Amb.
I'm a fan of Abu Dhabi over Dubai, and the Abu Dhabi IC. It's something of a grande dame among the emirate's top hotels. For some reason it's not well thought of in this forum, but i particularly like the pool, the health club and the club lounge - plus of course the environment created by the beach club and marina.

And it doesn't hurt that It's usually quite a bit cheaper than its Dubai sister hotels
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:14 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Although the IC AUH is a little past its sell by date, the location is really good because, in addition to its wide range of licensed eateries/bars one is also able to walk to the beach at the Corniche (which has been much improved in the last year) & on the way there/back drop in at the St Regis' bars/restaurants.

Plus from IC AUH you can walk to Al Bateen Marina where there are many new cafes as well as the very cool Abu Dhabi Edition Hotel, its bars/night spots & its quality eateries. Not to mention Jumeirah at Etihad Towers & its restaurants & bars in the other direction to Al Bateen.
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:33 am

Just stayed at the IC Marina in Dubai, loved it. I booked a standard room, I don’t know if I was upgraded, the room was King Suite on the 19th floor with partial marina view, included a balcony, kitchenette, nespressor machine, huge shower. I could sit on the balcony and watch the boats.

Easily accessed from the Dubai tram at IC, we attended Friday brunch at the double tree JBR using a Groupon.

My wife and I would debate if we should walk the Beach or the Marina each night.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NoY
Although the IC AUH is a little past its sell by date, the location is really good because, in addition to its wide range of licensed eateries/bars one is also able to walk to the beach at the Corniche (which has been much improved in the last year) & on the way there/back drop in at the St Regis' bars/restaurants.

Plus from IC AUH you can walk to Al Bateen Marina where there are many new cafes as well as the very cool Abu Dhabi Edition Hotel, its bars/night spots & its quality eateries. Not to mention Jumeirah at Etihad Towers & its restaurants & bars in the other direction to Al Bateen.
The IC AUH used to be in a good location but the centre of gravity has moved a bit, it definitely is not a place I would choose for a holiday stay despite some nearby F&B options it has a 1980s Vegas vibe across much of the interior and pool area. I would never ever stay there again. Beyond the Lobby it isn't really up to even CP standard.

If I were looking for a relaxing holiday in Abu Dhabi I would be heading to Saadiyat Island. The IC FC is quite good, fairly modern and pleasant and much more relaxing not tried the Marina but would definitely put the IC AUH at the very bottom of the list, then rip that part of the paper off
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Hmm, some interesting views, particularly that the Marina at AUH has changed a bit and also a positive review of location of IC Marina. No reviews of the Fujairah Resort? I’ve read the thread here & my sense is decent beach & pool options but perhaps not quite up to Dubai FC standards in terms of quality of F&B (ie they serve champagne during cocktail hour and Anise does a good brunch).

I laughed at description of IC AUH. Yes, it’s VERY tired, but I do rate the Belgian Beer Cafe outside and it has a laid back, unstressy vibe. Sometimes the FC can be a bit stuffy in the Club when not full.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, some interesting views, particularly that the Marina at AUH has changed a bit and also a positive review of location of IC Marina. No reviews of the Fujairah Resort? I’ve read the thread here & my sense is decent beach & pool options but perhaps not quite up to Dubai FC standards in terms of quality of F&B (ie they serve champagne during cocktail hour and Anise does a good brunch).

I laughed at description of IC AUH. Yes, it’s VERY tired, but I do rate the Belgian Beer Cafe outside and it has a laid back, unstressy vibe. Sometimes the FC can be a bit stuffy in the Club when not full.
Doesn't every IC in the Middle East have a Belgian Beer Café?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Doesn't every IC in the Middle East have a Belgian Beer Café?
The Abu Dhabi one has quite nice outdoor seating. The one in Dubai at FC is in the Crowne Plaza part - the Vista bar is better. Doha, I don’t think has any outdoor seating - it’s a smoky old bar! But the IC Doha does have some nice outdoor bits anyway. Don’t think the Marina IC has one - never been to the IC Muscat (last time I went there, the IC was the Al Bustan Palace!!)
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:31 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
The IC AUH used to be in a good location but the centre of gravity has moved a bit, it definitely is not a place I would choose for a holiday stay despite some nearby F&B options it has a 1980s Vegas vibe across much of the interior and pool area. I would never ever stay there again. Beyond the Lobby it isn't really up to even CP standard.

If I were looking for a relaxing holiday in Abu Dhabi I would be heading to Saadiyat Island. The IC FC is quite good, fairly modern and pleasant and much more relaxing not tried the Marina but would definitely put the IC AUH at the very bottom of the list, then rip that part of the paper off
As I already said, its past its sell by date. No argument there. Thats why there will be a new IC built next door in the next few years!

I know the area better than most, to be frank, as I live within a stroll of the IC in AUH @:-)

I disagree with your "centre of gravity" comment, there has been much new build leisure & dining within a very short area around IC. Apart from the examples I already mentioned above, a New Grand Hyatt & a Millennium opened in the last 18 months or so, both a few minutes walk from the IC.

Saadiyat is irrelevant from my perspective, as there is not (& never will be) an IC there. IHG are particularly weak in AUH at the high end of the market.

Last edited by NoY; Mar 1, 2019 at 9:37 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoY
As I already said, its past its sell by date. No argument there. Thats why there will be a new IC built next door in the next few years!

I know the area better than most, to be frank, as I live within a stroll of the IC in AUH @:-)

I disagree with your "centre of gravity" comment, there has been much new build leisure & dining within a very short area around IC. Apart from the examples I already mentioned above, a New Grand Hyatt & a Millennium opened in the last 18 months or so, both a few minutes walk from the IC.

Saadiyat is irrelevant from my perspective, as there is not (& never will be) an IC there. IHG are particularly weak in AUH at the high end of the market.
My point around centre of Gravity was leisure centred the OP is looking for a holiday destination not a straightforward walk to work. I do not see the IC AUH as a holiday destination in the way the Corniche once may have been thought of.

I am quite sure there are plenty of interesting things to do nearby and good bars and dining options too but Manchester and London has those also and I wouldn't holiday there either.

Both the Dubai IC options are so much better than the IC AUH its not even a real comparison.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Mar 2, 2019 at 4:46 am
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. To be honest, Festival City is hardly a holiday destination, but one of the things I like about Dubai is how easy (and in my experience) generally safe and inexpensive Dubai taxis are. I thought though that the IC was relaxed enough and had enough leisure facilities to enjoy a holiday there - and there is someehere to go outside. Nice view too from higher floors and club lounge of the downtown area, including Burj Khalifa.

I’ve had 2 brief leisure stays at IC Abu Dhabi, both were 2 nights and we didn’t use the pool - just noticed it seemed to have one, fairly extensive, and I thought ‘it’s by the sea so must have a beach’ / beach access. I’ve got friends in both cities and certainly the yacht club at the IC (a few years ago) was a well thought of place. That said, I appreciate there are better locations in Abu Dhabi for a holiday, but I’m not ruling it out! I’m going to do more research on how easy it is to walk along the front in Abu Dhabi, as the ME isn’t always the most pedestrian friendly place but in Jan / Feb an outdoor walk can be nice.

I am leaning towards Dubai - and will do more research on IC Marina. I like the marina area (always thought if I lived in Dubai, it’s where I’d want to be) - it’s just that I know FC is a decent property and wouldn’t want to go somewhere less good!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:45 am
NoY

My point around centre of Gravity was leisure centred the OP is looking for a holiday destination not a straightforward walk to work. I do not see the IC AUH as a holiday destination in the way the Corniche once may have been though of.

I am quite sure there are plenty of interesting things to do nearby and good bars and dining options too but Manchester and London has those also and I wouldn't holiday there either.

Both the Dubai IC options are so much better than the IC AUH its not even a real comparison.
We'll have to disagree then! Ha!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks all. To be honest, Festival City is hardly a holiday destination, but one of the things I like about Dubai is how easy (and in my experience) generally safe and inexpensive Dubai taxis are. I thought though that the IC was relaxed enough and had enough leisure facilities to enjoy a holiday there - and there is someehere to go outside. Nice view too from higher floors and club lounge of the downtown area, including Burj Khalifa.

I’ve had 2 brief leisure stays at IC Abu Dhabi, both were 2 nights and we didn’t use the pool - just noticed it seemed to have one, fairly extensive, and I thought ‘it’s by the sea so must have a beach’ / beach access. I’ve got friends in both cities and certainly the yacht club at the IC (a few years ago) was a well thought of place. That said, I appreciate there are better locations in Abu Dhabi for a holiday, but I’m not ruling it out! I’m going to do more research on how easy it is to walk along the front in Abu Dhabi, as the ME isn’t always the most pedestrian friendly place but in Jan / Feb an outdoor walk can be nice.

I am leaning towards Dubai - and will do more research on IC Marina. I like the marina area (always thought if I lived in Dubai, it’s where I’d want to be) - it’s just that I know FC is a decent property and wouldn’t want to go somewhere less good!
The yacht club is like much of the rest of the property tired and unloved. It all could be great if money, care and attention was lavished on it but instead the Abu Dhabi Government has focussed on new build hotels elsewhere like the aforementioned Saadiyat.

As non-beach properties go, I did genuinely think that the IC FC was very resort like. I spent a very pleasant 8 days there a couple of years ago, I spent 24 hours at the IC AUH and that was about 22 hours too long.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:50 am
NoY

It's very pedestrian friendly in AUH, particularly along the new redeveloped Corniche, where you can stroll for many kilometers. I am not, btw, advocating that AUH is "better" than anywhere else, Dubai or otherwise. I am just trying to be factual & helpful. Seems some folk just don't like other peoples opinions & input if they don't match their own. Oh well, I shall know better next time. Sigh.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Well, I value inputs from both of you, so thank you. You have differing views about a destination but both are just that, opinions.

FWIW, I thought describing the IC AUH as a grande dame was a good description. I didn’t pick up on the 80s Vegas vibe though it did make me smile! Fair to say LoM will not be holidaying in the IC Abu Dhabi!

NoY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.