Holiday Inn or Nursing Home....???🤷🏻.♂️

Old Feb 26, 19, 2:59 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Holiday Inn or Nursing Home....???🤷🏻.♂️

Which would YOU choose?

i think this guy’s $59/day average rate has to be off.....I can’t even get $59/night at a HIX.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ge/2986566002/

Instead of dreading the day he has to move into a nursing home, one Texas man plans to live his "golden age" with thrifty style.

Almost 100,000 Facebook users have already shared
to stay at multiple Holiday Inn hotels to save money, get better service and see the world.

"This is AWESOME!! Must share," one user commented.

While the average nursing home costs $188 per day, Robison wrote that reservations at the hotel chain cost $59.23 per night with both a long-term stay and senior discount. Factor in free breakfast and happy hour and Robison calculated that would leave $128.77 a day for food and entertainment.

Not to mention, Robison said Holiday Inns offer a spa, swimming pool, workout room, laundry room and a lounge. Of course, complimentary shampoo, soap, toothpaste and razors will rack up savings, too.

Securing a room at the right nursing home may take months, but Robison said reservations for quality customer service can be made now.

"$5-worth of tips a day and you'll have the entire staff scrambling to help you," Robison said. "They treat you like a customer, not a patient."

Hotel staff will fix any issues from light bulbs to mattresses, Robison said, and apologize for the inconvenience. A night security guard will keep watch and a maid will check in daily.

And, Robison said, the staff will "call an ambulance . . . Or the undertaker" if anything goes wrong.

With more than 1,100 Holiday Inn locations, Robison said he can travel wherever he wants. A local change of scenery and social opportunities are also reachable with an airport shuttle, church bus or city bus.

And family visits? No problem, Robison said.

"They will always be glad to find you, and probably check in for a few days mini-vacation," he wrote. "The grand-kids can use the pool."

Last edited by 355F1; Feb 26, 19 at 4:52 am
Old Feb 26, 19, 11:40 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Makes good point that senior care is a COMPLETE rip off.
Old Feb 26, 19, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Some of the Texas IHG hotels is dirty cheap. For example, the ADV rate for a Candlewood Suite in Plano can be have for $60. But a Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express you can only find $70 around in Texas. So it is possible the reporter did not get the hotel brand right. It could be a Candlewood Suites, and the reporter thought it belonged to the same chain of Holiday Inn thus used the Holiday Inn name. However, let us believe that the guy might had negotiated a rate locally, which is possible.
Old Feb 27, 19, 6:30 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Except, that will be an individually negotiated longterm rate, where you negotiate and sign a contract with hotel guaranteeing hotel i)you stay nn months until date ddmmyy ii)hotel sets a lower rate
(if hotel nearly hardly ever at or approaching 100% soldout, they are usually going to be willing to contract in this way, minimum 3months and up though)

As standard ihg t+c, such contract rates don't earn points, but if aware you can negotiate ito contract that hotel still pays you points. Though as pts cost hotel money they need up offered room rate sligtly

You could even say not for just retirees, ie if get hotel long term rate usd50 night us1500/month, with no elec, gas etc bills to pay, it can be cheaper to stay in an hotel than to rent or mortgage pay for a house.
Old Feb 27, 19, 10:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
The story is a little ridiculous, as a hotel and a nursing home are two different things entirely.

But it is indeed pretty straightforward to live in hotels for less than the cost of an apartment / house (plus all bills and certain meals) in a relatively expensive city...
nancypants and :D! like this.
Old Feb 28, 19, 9:02 am

The Holiday Inns that I know of look rather like nursing homes, or hospitals. Others appear to be furnished by IKEA. That’s why I’m an InterContinental fan.
Old Feb 28, 19, 10:03 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
and what about, you know, the actual Nursing care part ?, or does his understanding of a Nursing home amount to somewhere that will call an ambulance/undertaker when appropriate.
nancypants and :D! like this.
Old Feb 28, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: none
If this story looks a little bit fishy, note that it came from USA Today who doesn't have the best record for verifying their information lately.
Old Feb 28, 19, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This part makes no sense to me (not even thinking about the cost claims):

"While the average nursing home costs $188 per day, Robison wrote that reservations at the hotel chain cost $59.23 per night with both a long-term stay and senior discount. Factor in free breakfast and happy hour and Robison calculated that would leave $128.77 a day for food and entertainment."

What free breakfast at Holiday Inn? What happy hour at Holiday Inn? Isn't that combination only (within IHG) at StayBridge Suites? (HIX has free breafkast but I don't think it has anything in the evening.)
Old Mar 3, 19, 8:32 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold, SPG
Who wants HIX breakfast each morning for months on end? The quality isn't very good.
:D! likes this.

Last edited by ChinaShrek; Mar 4, 19 at 8:25 am Reason: proper grammar
Old Mar 4, 19, 6:24 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek View Post
Who want HIX breakfast each morning for months on end? The quality isn't very good.
i stayed in hotels 201 nights in 2018.

I did not eat breakfast at any of the 130+ Nights at the low-end hotels (HIX, Quality Inn, etc) that offered freee breakfast—zero interest in the crap they put out as “food.”
Old Mar 4, 19, 6:45 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek View Post
Who want HIX breakfast each morning for months on end? The quality isn't very good.
OP stated HI (not HIE) so not the inedible sausages/beans/scrambled-eggs offering. alas USa hI, but in UK, HI have consistant full fried breakfast with decent sausages+bacon, cereals, juices. coffees, and the better ones even chef station for omelets etc.

Not that I could eat a full fried b/f daily, I'd end up well overweight very quickly. Midweek I am happy with toast+coffee, but eat more/better at weekend.
Old Mar 5, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Recycled news https://www.comfortltc.com/news/the-...g-home-fallacy
Old Mar 5, 19, 9:06 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Not directly related, but I knew an elderly lady who lived in a Sheraton Grand and Spa after her husband had died.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: