Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Crowne Plaza Kings Cross vs Holiday Inn Bloomsbury

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:49 am
Original Poster

London Crowne Plaza Kings Cross vs Holiday Inn Bloomsbury

Choosing between these two for a four night stay with wife and 2 children (ages 5 and 4). Proximity to St. Pancras is about the same. I confirmed with CP that all 4 of us will have access to the Club Lounge with my Spire status. These will get us breakfast and happy hour drinks. But the HI Bloomsbury seems like a much better neighborhood. Any thoughts people have are encouraged. The Club Lounge access has me leaning toward but the CP but the area is the downside.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Aadvantage
The London Crowne Plaza Kings Cross is indeed in the middle of nowhere. I stayed there once and thought it was a bit too far from the nearest subway station. The HI Bloomsbury is close to other subway stations (e.g. Russel Square) which could be useful to cut down walking with a family.

Given you're interested in the lounge, I'd weigh that up against location. If you could get breakfast every day for free that might be a good reason to go with CP!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:07 am
Original Poster

That is my dilemma, location vs club access perks. “Middle of nowhere” is my sense in regards to the CP. Thanks for the response.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Also consider the room size. The CP has decent room sizes with sofa bed the HI has quite small rooms. I have never stayed at the HI but have stayed at the Kimpton Fitzroy very close by.

I stay regularly at the CP and would say that nearby Exmouth market is a better place to go out to eat and drink than the Bloomsbury neighbourhood. Whilst you don’t have close connection to public transport at the CP it is great for uber coverage and an uber for 4 will almost always be cheaper than public transport for any reasonable rides.

The breakfast at the CP lounge is rubbish on the whole and you get no credit towards a restaurant breakfast you need to pay full price. Evening drinks is a great experience with a decent drink and food selection but isn’t the place for young children especially not when I am there.

Are you planning to share a room for all 4? I think both properties rooms are far too small for that.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for input. I had considered room size as pro for the CP and I appreciate the confirmation. The room we are considering has two double beds not a sofa bed. From what I can see this is the largest room available to book for four people in London using my IHG points. I have heard mixed reviews on the Club Lounge breakfast but would you consider it adequate enough to avoid dining out yet another meal with our small children? Lastly, if not child-friendly, my wife and I can alternate drinks at the Lounge.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Have you considered Crowne Plaza Blackfriars? It has family rooms with two double beds, club lounge and is one block from the Blackfriars tube station.

Family Rooms | Bedrooms | The Crowne Plaza London - The City Hotel
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Breakfast at the CP KX consists of cereal, toast, some fairly poor pastries and cold selection of cheese and meats. I find it depressing on my 2 day stays. WHilst the CP Blackfriars has a much better lounge breakfast other aspects of the property are not worth the cost hike.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

There are very limited options as far as rooms available with points that can accommodate four people. There are some HIE’s but I try to avoid them for leisure travel. Blackfriars isn’t available with points. The CL KX breakfast does sound depressing but maybe good enough.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
If you do book the CP Kings Cross, then when you check in, ask if they have any offers on the restaurant breakfast. I have done this quite a few times and got Ł5.00 off the breakfast cost, albeit once or twice I have been declined. There are, however, a few places within a minute or two's walk which do an acceptable breakfast alternative.

Although it is a fair walk to the nearest tube station, the 63 bus stops about 1 minutes’ walk from the hotel. This can get you to Kings Cross/St Pancras stations in a few minutes from where you can join numerous tube lines, Thameslink, other bus routes etc.

In a straight choice between the KX CP and HI Bloomsbury, the CP wins hands down in my book.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
If you do book the CP Kings Cross, then when you check in, ask if they have any offers on the restaurant breakfast. I have done this quite a few times and got Ł5.00 off the breakfast cost, albeit once or twice I have been declined. There are, however, a few places within a minute or two's walk which do an acceptable breakfast alternative.

Although it is a fair walk to the nearest tube station, the 63 bus stops about 1 minutes’ walk from the hotel. This can get you to Kings Cross/St Pancras stations in a few minutes from where you can join numerous tube lines, Thameslink, other bus routes etc.

In a straight choice between the KX CP and HI Bloomsbury, the CP wins hands down in my book.
They will give you the normal advance purchase breakfast offer but even then you are looking at circa Ł12 which I think is fairly poor value unless you had a lot to drink the previous night

It is the only CP I know which doesn't give a more meaningful discount to those with CL access for a restaurant breakfast but perhaps that is because the restaurant is a third part operation (Belgo).
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on breakfast. I'll give that a try.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by LWKD30
There are very limited options as far as rooms available with points that can accommodate four people. There are some HIE’s but I try to avoid them for leisure travel. Blackfriars isn’t available with points. The CL KX breakfast does sound depressing but maybe good enough.
Contact the hotel they may be willing to 'upgrade' you to the two double or pay a small supplement?

The City It is probably the best CP in London
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Editing

Last edited by ARR72; Mar 20, 2019 at 7:07 pm Reason: Removing Double post
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
Contact the hotel they may be willing to 'upgrade' you to the two double or pay a small supplement?

The City It is probably the best CP in London
Do you have any thoughts on the relatively new CP, Albert Embankment? Not much discussion of that hotel here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.