Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Appropriate compensation for in room lamp explosion?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: none
As a minimum you should get a trophy for participation.
trooper, redreeper and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by 1353513636
What should I do? Move hotels? Ask for comped night, free food, discount, points? What would you consider appropriate service recovery for this pretty scary incident?

(PS got a pretty nice upgrade but probably won't be staying here again after this)
I am sorry... Is this for real...

I read the post and had to check whether this is a first time poster trying to make a joke to the forum
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:53 pm

Only if you look like this

scubaccr, Lewis42 and imkevinmc like this.

Last edited by 3544quebec; Feb 14, 2019 at 2:03 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Well...this is China where skimping on maintenance is the norm....although one would hope that a western branded hotel wouldn't have such issues.

It was clearly maintenance, not previous guest abuse, as the whole set of outlets on the panel where the lamp was plugged in could no longer be used after the explosion and I had to move rooms.

I think I won't say anything for now but complain to the service center because they need to know if this hotel is skimping on maintenance.
Exactly how do you ascertain they are skimping on maintenance? Are you an electrician? A lamp exploding is not a maintenance issue, it is either a current/voltage surge or a defective bulb. You dont maintain bulbs.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
The upgrade was prior to the explosion. I was not injured but I don't think the hotel handled it well as I had to specifically ask to move rooms even after the outlets near the desk were inop and the explosion was quite scary and I never received an explanation for how it occurred nor an apology or any offer of anything (at most hotels I ask for free breakfast for even the tiniest inconvenience because it is very cheap for them to provide and rarely am denied).

For those of you who think I'm ridiculous, this is China, the lamp explosion leads one to wonder what else is not right about the room. Also someone on LL got a 5 night stay comped for a light bulb found in hotel restaurant noodles so I didn't think points or a free night was too unreasonable in that context.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:00 pm

Lol. Light bulbs burst. .... happens. China, US or EU. No one is to blame.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:07 pm

The upgrade was prior to the explosion. I was not injured but I don't think the hotel handled it well as I had to specifically ask to move rooms even after the outlets near the desk were inop and the explosion was quite scary and I never received an explanation for how it occurred nor an apology or any offer of anything (at most hotels I ask for free breakfast for even the tiniest inconvenience because it is very cheap for them to provide and rarely am denied).

For those of you who think I'm ridiculous, this is China, the lamp explosion leads one to wonder what else is not right about the room. Also someone on LL got a 5 night stay comped for a light bulb found in hotel restaurant noodles so I didn't think points or a free night was too unreasonable in that context.
Call me crazy... But finding a light bulb (I'm assuming a broken lightbulb, wires exposed, glass shards etc.) in food you've potentially eaten is a just a tad bit more of a reason to seek compensation compared to a lightbulb breaking that caused 0 damage to yourself or any of your possessions. .
trooper, jsrdelta and klanfa like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA

Outdoor glass table exploded last summer with no warning, Obviously I am guilty of skimping on maintenance of the house and really need to take a bulldozer to it before the county condemns it.

Did you ask for the free breakfast for the tiny inconvenience?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: QF WP
Surely the affected sockets became inop because something like a safety switch or circuit breaker did its job in response to the lamp explosion? Or am I missing something?
MCIUnitedGuy likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
If “this is China” then it’s obviously the last time you’ll ever go to China. You can use your compensation money to go elsewhere, where bulbs never explode. Much safer.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:42 am

Well...this is China where skimping on maintenance is the norm....although one would hope that a western branded hotel wouldn't have such issues.

It was clearly maintenance, not previous guest abuse, as the whole set of outlets on the panel where the lamp was plugged in could no longer be used after the explosion and I had to move rooms.

I think I won't say anything for now but complain to the service center because they need to know if this hotel is skimping on maintenance.
I live in Canada, a first world country, and have had this happen in my own modern and well constructed home. A halogen bulb exploded that caused wires in the lamp to be scorched and set off a circuit breakers. This is most likely not a hotel maintenance problem, but caused by a faulty lamp or bulb. Perhaps the OP is not well versed in electrical matters.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
The upgrade was prior to the explosion. I was not injured
You were not injured. You deserve no compensation. None.

but I don't think the hotel handled it well as I had to specifically ask to move rooms even after the outlets near the desk were inop and the explosion was quite scary
Oh Noes! You were startled! Yes, you had to ask. God forbid you should have to ask for what you want.

and I never received an explanation for how it occurred
Most hotels do not have a forensic electrical engineer to perform an analysis on every electrical failure. The lamp broke. They moved you on request.

nor an apology or any offer of anything (at most hotels I ask for free breakfast for even the tiniest inconvenience because it is very cheap for them to provide and rarely am denied).
and herein lies the problem. You are an entitled tw... well, you have an overly developed sense of entitlement. Perhaps you should be denied more often.

For those of you who think I'm ridiculous, this is China, the lamp explosion leads one to wonder what else is not right about the room.
Name ONE, just ONE hotel anywhere that pre-tests all their lightbulbs to prevent explosions. Yes, it's China. So?

Also someone on LL got a 5 night stay comped for a light bulb found in hotel restaurant noodles so I didn't think points or a free night was too unreasonable in that context.
Next time your hotel lamp explodes in your noodles, try asking for compensation.

I think you're ridiculous because you're asking for compensation for a broken lamp when you suffered no injuries. Oh noes! You were startled! For God's sake, grow up.

You have a massive sense of entitlement.
arttravel and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:32 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I think all of you made it pretty clear, that for a lamp exlosion there is no compensation due.
For this reason, I am going to close this thread, as everything is said in this thread.

Thank you for your understanding.
FLYGVA
co.moderator IHG Forum
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.