IHG acquires Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spa

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:54 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

IHG acquires Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spa

https://www.ihgplc.com/news-and-medi...s-resorts-spas

"
Six Senses currently manages 16 hotels and resorts, with 18 management contracts signed into its pipeline, and more than 50 further deals under active discussion. With properties in locations such as the Maldives, the Seychelles, Yao Noi in Thailand, Zighy Bay in Oman, and Portugal’s Douro Valley, the addition of Six Senses’ award-winning estate and high-quality development pipeline will further round out IHG’s position in the luxury segment.

At Six Senses’ core is a commitment to guest rejuvenation and reconnection, with an expert focus on wellness and sustainability. The acquisition extends IHG’s reach to a community of affluent travellers and new owners and provides instant entry to some of the world’s most sought-after locations.

Six Senses will sit at the top of IHG’s luxury portfolio, complementing the world’s largest luxury hotel brand, InterContinental Hotels & Resorts; the recently acquired and repositioned Regent Hotels & Resorts; and Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, for which IHG has secured a presence in 14 countries, since its acquisition of the brand in 2015. Today’s acquisition of Six Senses takes IHG’s portfolio of open and pipeline luxury hotels to 400 hotels (108,000 rooms) globally.

By combining IHG’s scale, systems and operational excellence with Six Senses’ luxury, resort and spa expertise, IHG sees the potential to grow the Six Senses estate to more than 60 properties globally over the next 10 years. This includes bringing Six Senses to important urban markets, with a property already under construction in West Chelsea, Manhattan, New York City.
"
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Interesting and a good move if they become part of the loyalty program eventually. Not many properties, but surely a few aspirational ones.

This may also explain the wording for the new RA free night cert limiting it to max. 70k points properties. Above 70k seems fairly certain if some Six Senses properties join judging by the BAR they command. YMMV.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: Some
Sorry, but the fact that IHG’s press release considers InterContinental to be a luxury brand (many of them are not even five star, let alone luxury), is why this is a bad idea.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Sorry, but the fact that IHG’s press release considers InterContinental to be a luxury brand (many of them are not even five star, let alone luxury), is why this is a bad idea.
Indeed. This is bad news for lovers of real luxury hotels (Duoro Valley is arguably the best resort hotel in Europe) but good news for IHG in the short term.

I have no doubt someone from head office is in the hotels now replacing fresh orange juice with cartons .....
#1son likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by demue
Interesting and a good move if they become part of the loyalty program eventually. Not many properties, but surely a few aspirational ones.

This may also explain the wording for the new RA free night cert limiting it to max. 70k points properties. Above 70k seems fairly certain if some Six Senses properties join judging by the BAR they command. YMMV.
While I definitely welcome having more options like this for point-redemption possibilities, unfortunately I expect this will open the door toward even more of a devaluation of the IHG points and end up in an overall increase in the consumers' cost to use points at desirable vacation spots during desirable times of the year. And I also expect that this may lead to some decline in some aspects of the luxury standards in place at the existing Six Senses properties.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: krisflyer, hilton, ihg, accor
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by NotTellYou; Feb 14, 2019 at 10:38 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Some nice properties but the points ceiling will probably be raised for these.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Raffles

Indeed. This is bad news for lovers of real luxury hotels (Duoro Valley is arguably the best resort hotel in Europe) but good news for IHG in the short term.

I have no doubt someone from head office is in the hotels now replacing fresh orange juice with cartons .....
This always brings up the age-old debate of what people truly want. For every person that complains they miss the fresh OJ (or other doom and gloom scenario), there could be 10 more who are glad to earn points, get room upgrades, free nights, etc on new luxury options. I agree that most of the experience should stay intact. I think it's pretty safe to assume it won't turn into a slum. IHG seems pretty intent on becoming more of a luxury brand.
Lewis42 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
The IHG press release states "The Six Senses management will remain in place". Much the same has happened with Kimpton, i.e. local management running key decisions but back office work has been centralised. They obviously believe this is the right way of keeping the brand relevant in its market.

The other press release states "In the near future guests will be able to book their Six Senses stay through IHG’s booking platforms, such as the ihg.com website and the company’s leading mobile app" so hopefully redemptions and points earning opportunities aren't too far away.

https://www.ihgplc.com/news-and-medi...mily-of-brands
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Platinum, IC Ambasador, Marriott Gold, Taj Gold, Radisson Gold
UK Credit card has a free night certificate

Originally Posted by GUWonder
While I definitely welcome having more options like this for point-redemption possibilities, unfortunately I expect this will open the door toward even more of a devaluation of the IHG points and end up in an overall increase in the consumers' cost to use points at desirable vacation spots during desirable times of the year. And I also expect that this may lead to some decline in some aspects of the luxury standards in place at the existing Six Senses properties.
For those of you based in the UK, the credit card provides a free night certificate that can be used at any IHG hotel worldwide
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Interesting article on the integration of Six Senses

https://skift.com/2019/02/28/ihg-to-...th-six-senses/
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Raffles

A bit of a sweeping statement. Depends what plans they have for the acquired properties. Unlikely that they'll turn them to business/corporate sector like IC PL, or leisure like IC O2, and more likely that they'll aim more in line with the likes of IC Bora Bora or Danang, where in the case of the latter the OJ remains "fresh" as does the coconut juice served directly from the nut.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Platinum, IC Ambasador, Marriott Gold, Taj Gold, Radisson Gold
It makes no sense for IHG to pay a premium for a luxury hotel, and then trash the brand

Instead, it gives people a reason to stay at a Holiday Inn Express and accumulate their points for an amazing redemption

People have complained forever that IHG don't have any aspirational hotels. It is great that they are changing that
remymartin, dw and mecabq like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:46 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
While not yet bookable via IHG, I noticed that some Six Senses properties (the ones I saw were the two in Singapore) are now showing up in search results, so it looks like they’re making some progress on integration; hopefully IHG Rewards participation is coming soon.
remymartin likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:48 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by dw
While not yet bookable via IHG, I noticed that some Six Senses properties (the ones I saw were the two in Singapore) are now showing up in search results, so it looks like they’re making some progress on integration; hopefully IHG Rewards participation is coming soon.
The two Singapore properties (Maxwell and Duxton) are now bookable via IHG, though so far there doesn’t seem to be any indication on when they will be participating in IHG Rewards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.