Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rate for the HI Celebration is 42% higher than advertised

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Rate for the HI Celebration is 42% higher than advertised

The Holiday Inn Celebration, FL has a AAA rate for tonight of $67.49 for a king. However, the total price is $107.37 due to a service fee and some unknown fee. The rate details don't state what the additional 17% is for. The taxes are 13.5% and there is a $17.00 service fee plus tax. Of course, I won't be using any of the amenities provided with the mandatory service fee. I know resort and service fees have been discussed before but is this not beyond ridiculous?

Additional Charges: 17% per night and 19.30 USD not included in rate effective 31 January, 2019 thru 1 February, 2019 Taxes: 13.5% per night not included in rate effective 31 January, 2019 thru 1 February, 2019 6PCT LODGING TAX AND 7.5PCT STATE TAX A service fee of $17.00 plus tax will be added to your guest room account per night. This service fee entitles our guests to use of all the hotels amenities which include In room safe access, unlimited local and 800 phone calls, 24 hour business center access, fitness center, and our scheduled transportation
Thu 31 Jan 2019 - Fri 01 Feb 2019 67.49 USDPrice for 1 room(s) and 1 night(s):67.49 USDTaxes:9.11 USDAdditional Charges:30.77 USDEstimated Total Price:107.37 USD
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
I think it is because the room rate is relatively low, that the 'mandatory service fee & taxes' percentage is so high. The fact that there is a fixed $17 service fee on the $67 rate certainly doesn't help in this respect.

If the room rate was $200 per night, the percentage for the 'add ons' is a fair bit lower.

It is your choice as to whether or not you use any of the facilities covered by the 'mandatory service fee'. I suppose if you made maximum use of them, the $17 dosen't seem too bad (bearing in mind an awful lot of US hotels, regardless of chain, now seem to be charging these 'mandatory' fees and some are a lot higher).

BM
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew

It is your choice as to whether or not you use any of the facilities covered by the 'mandatory service fee'. I suppose if you made maximum use of them, the $17 dosen't seem too bad (bearing in mind an awful lot of US hotels, regardless of chain, now seem to be charging these 'mandatory' fees and some are a lot higher).

BM
There is absolutely no way that "In room safe access, unlimited local and 800 phone calls, 24 hour business center access, fitness center, and our scheduled transportation" is anywhere close to being worth $2, much less $17. And unfortunately it isn't your choice to not pay the $17 and not use any of the mentioned facilities.

In the absence of any government intervention to ban such junk fees, consumers really must avoid such hotels as much as possible, so that hotels get the message...
336 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
There is absolutely no way that "In room safe access, unlimited local and 800 phone calls, 24 hour business center access, fitness center, and our scheduled transportation" is anywhere close to being worth $2, much less $17. And unfortunately it isn't your choice to not pay the $17 and not use any of the mentioned facilities.
This is a Disney World area hotel. One-way taxi fare from the hotel to a Disney theme park (I used Epcot) is estimated to be $21.17. If you're staying at that hotel and going to a theme park, $17 is a lot cheaper than $42 for a round-trip taxi. It's also probably cheaper than a round trip via an unlicensed taxi (aka Lyft and Uber).

I'd bet that most of that hotel's clientele is people going to Disney theme parks. Thus, the resort fee here might not be quite as horrible as it seems...at least for the people that use the transportation.

For the record, I'm not trying to justify resort/service fees. I think they shouldn't exist.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
A $17 resort fee for that area is low. And some places charge $20/night parking. You add the two together plus the huge tax rate, and the base room rate is really a 'fake rate'.

At least the 'resort fee' is pretty easy to spot. Parking costs often require going to the individual hotel's website and searching.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:12 am

If you use points to stay they waive the "resort fee", or at least they did when I stayed last fall. In addition the parking at the Mouse is $25/day so if they still provide the transportation to the park it works out to a savings
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

In case I wasn't clear in the OP, this hotel has 2 fees -- the $17 service fee (which is $19.30 after tax) and an additional charge of 17% and it doesn't state what it's for. Combined, these 2 charges add $30.77 to the base rate of $67.49. And while many hotels in the Disney area have resort fees, there are also many that do not, but I don't know of any other hotel that has a resort fee and an additional 17% unknown charge. By the way, there is nothing special about this Holiday Inn except for the fact they have one scheduled departure each day to Disney and one return time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.