Community
Wiki Posts
Search

People who work in the hotel industry are so weird(IHG)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

People who work in the hotel industry are so weird(IHG)

I was a regular flyer , traveler, just like everyone else here. I like to stay at nice independent hotel or luxury hotel sometimes , most of times I prefer elite member status and chain hotels which is reliable and high quality . I usually pick is Marriott some times Hilton or Hyatt.

I never work in the service industry before, I was in the manufacturing /sales industry.

I had an experience in working as sales for cooperate in one of HIX hotel in great china area. If you pm me I can tell you which one. Not in mainland , owner are developing an indigo, and it 's not going to be successful one.

I leave that hotel very soon for 3 months, I really hate that job. I 'm not going to be too detain for this part but I would like to share my observations:

I found those manager/supervisor who worked for a certain group in the hotel industry are so weird.

Fist, they claimed themself as a successful image . As my supervisor who worked in IHG, they like to judge , to mentioned about specific competitor , especially Marriott.

But they don't even hold ANY elite member status from any hotel group. They have very little experience as a guest in other hotel group. I, as an employee, having so much more hotel experience and even higher elite status....

They usually travel stay in IHG using the cheapest employee rate and staying at a standard room. When I quite my job, I really want to ask them, If I had, and I actually did, have a Marriott P, or Hyatt Globalist, which allowing me to CO on 4 pm ,suite UP, lounges, VIP experience, why should I using employee rate staying at a standard room in a not so luxury but calling themself luxury-intercontinental?

And they usually having WRONG information and knowledge for its competitor. For example, our director told me that W and JW Marriott are same type of style, I was like"..WHat...???"...seriously?

And she told me that Marriott and Starwood together is no good, they are having too many brands and are confusion, they are fighting each other in the same area.
But I want to tell her, " that's from your perspective as a hotel industry employee, from my perspective , who are always as a customer , I having so much more choice, in the past I can have only one choice to pick Marriott hotel in certain city, now I have so many more options after Starwood join in, why the hell do I care about whether they are fighting each other or not?"

So , perspective as a customer, and perspective as an employee , are so different.

What shocking me the most is that, my supersvisor in IHG, such as sales director, GM of this hotel. They have so LITTLE experience when it comes staying at upscale or luxury hotels, other than IHG hotels. They talked a lot , always like to mention Marriott or Hyatt, but never staying at a Ritz or Park. Not even familiar about difference between JW and W...lol

It is a bless to be a customer in this industry, instead of employee. They don't even have the experience of what if feels like to hold a high member status in those airline/ hotel group. But they work in this industry.

This is ironic to me. if you worked as a high position as supervisor in a fine restaurant , you should have lots of experience and knowledge when it comes to fine dining, right?

Last edited by Vince Chan; Jan 23, 2019 at 10:46 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:22 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I think that the manager of a Holiday Inn Express is going to find it hard to understand the mindset of people who stay at a Ritz. And even if said manager gets to stay at the Ritz they won't be paying for it with their own money. I don't think that makes the HIX manager "weird".
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:52 am
Suspended

Oh dear, you should never take your 'guest attitude' to work in a Holiday Inn Express. You might have stayed at many Marriott hotels, but Marriott started as a motel by the high way for the automobile owners, and there is no 'luxury' 'upscale' about it until it grew much bigger.

And your manager is right about W and JW Marriott, they essentially compete in the overlapped sector. W was born from Westin, designed to be a lifestyle upscale brand. The difference between Westin and W is that W means individuality and Westin to be more distinguished and traditional. Westin and Marriott (to some extend Sheraton) are all competing in the same sector. W and JW Marriott also compete in the same segment that overlaps. There are differences among these two brands and characteristics, but essentially, to hospitality industry and to travel agents that trying to sell a room, W and JW Marriott are two brands that are in the same category.

Your managers are also right about the merger of Sheraton and Marriott, they have too many brands that are confusing customers. There was a great article by Business Traveller on this issue, you should google it.

As a hotel employee, hotel employee rate is a privilege, why would you waste money to book a luxury hotel when you have a great rate as an employee? In fact, all the non-frequent flyers would see people paying 5 times more of room rate to enjoy the so called benefits crazy.

I think your experience of working for this Holiday Inn Express in central Taiwan is a poor show of yourself. There is lacking of professionalism from you to do the job properly and to understand the industry properly, and to cherish the experience with your co-workers. Plus your post also demonstrated that you looked down at your co-workers and managers which is very offensive to any industry. As a guest, you might feel good about yourself when you step in a W or JW Marriott, or even a Ritz if you splash your cash around. These feel good factor is everything to do with brand names and what the brand holders wish you to believe. But in reality, a good hotel provides a good bed for a good night sleep and good service as extra. There is no difference between a room in W and a room in Holiday Inn Express if to have a good sleep is your aim to stay at a hotel.

It is not the hotel workers have been 'wired'. The problem is that your understanding of 'brand position' is very amateurish and it affected your attitude. You might think of working for Ritz is grandeur and your ex-coworkers in Holiday Inn Express has no class, but your post is making yourself looking 'wired' than ever.

Just my two cents.
dimon84, RJ77 and ZBigFam like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao
Marriott started as a motel by the high way for the automobile owners, and there is no 'luxury' 'upscale' about it until it grew much bigger.
How true. I spent years traveling and mostly in Marriotts because that was our corporate contract. I remarked one night to a bartender that Marriott was the most reliable place for a solo traveler to get a late night meal upon arrival - both because the lobby bar always served food and I always knew they had a pretty good burger. He said it was part of their culture and went back to the days when Marriott ran a burger joint and a motel. I can't attest to markets where beef isn't served, but in places where people know a good burger, Marriott tends to deliver at least as good of one as you'd get in a local sportsbar.

Hiltons, by contrast, often don't have convenient eating options for solo travelers (that is, the bar menu sucks or does not include real food) and has served up some utterly terribly burgers in some different places.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
I was a regular flyer , traveler, just like everyone else here. I like to stay at nice independent hotel or luxury hotel sometimes , most of times I prefer elite member status and chain hotels which is reliable and high quality . I usually pick is Marriott some times Hilton or Hyatt.

I never work in the service industry before, I was in the manufacturing /sales industry.

I had an experience in working as sales for cooperate in one of HIX hotel in great china area. If you pm me I can tell you which one. Not in mainland , owner are developing an indigo, and it 's not going to be successful one.

I leave that hotel very soon for 3 months, I really hate that job. I 'm not going to be too detain for this part but I would like to share my observations:

I found those manager/supervisor who worked for a certain group in the hotel industry are so weird.

Fist, they claimed themself as a successful image . As my supervisor who worked in IHG, they like to judge , to mentioned about specific competitor , especially Marriott.

But they don't even hold ANY elite member status from any hotel group. They have very little experience as a guest in other hotel group. I, as an employee, having so much more hotel experience and even higher elite status....

They usually travel stay in IHG using the cheapest employee rate and staying at a standard room. When I quite my job, I really want to ask them, If I had, and I actually did, have a Marriott P, or Hyatt Globalist, which allowing me to CO on 4 pm ,suite UP, lounges, VIP experience, why should I using employee rate staying at a standard room in a not so luxury but calling themself luxury-intercontinental?

And they usually having WRONG information and knowledge for its competitor. For example, our director told me that W and JW Marriott are same type of style, I was like"..WHat...???"...seriously?

And she told me that Marriott and Starwood together is no good, they are having too many brands and are confusion, they are fighting each other in the same area.
But I want to tell her, " that's from your perspective as a hotel industry employee, from my perspective , who are always as a customer , I having so much more choice, in the past I can have only one choice to pick Marriott hotel in certain city, now I have so many more options after Starwood join in, why the hell do I care about whether they are fighting each other or not?"

So , perspective as a customer, and perspective as an employee , are so different.

What shocking me the most is that, my supersvisor in IHG, such as sales director, GM of this hotel. They have so LITTLE experience when it comes staying at upscale or luxury hotels, other than IHG hotels. They talked a lot , always like to mention Marriott or Hyatt, but never staying at a Ritz or Park. Not even familiar about difference between JW and W...lol

It is a bless to be a customer in this industry, instead of employee. They don't even have the experience of what if feels like to hold a high member status in those airline/ hotel group. But they work in this industry.

This is ironic to me. if you worked as a high position as supervisor in a fine restaurant , you should have lots of experience and knowledge when it comes to fine dining, right?
I believe you are the same person who posted a Chinese version of your post on Flyertea last week or so. I'm not a member there but I browse threads in that forum from time to time. I believe I know which specific hotel you are referring to.

In fact, I just stayed there a few days ago to take advantage of the recent government subsidy. I was not really impressed by the hotel. Specifically, I found it funny that they insisted that I choose my upgrade between a larger room or a room with view, and that I cannot get a larger room with view.
Vince Chan likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK, in China, IHG hotel, not on the mainland....we're talking about one of the Hong Kong properties?

Or is Great China Area a euphemism for Taiwan?

It's Flyertalk. We name names here. Which hotel?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Oh dear, you should never take your 'guest attitude' to work in a Holiday Inn Express. You might have stayed at many Marriott hotels, but Marriott started as a motel by the high way for the automobile owners, and there is no 'luxury' 'upscale' about it until it grew much bigger.

And your manager is right about W and JW Marriott, they essentially compete in the overlapped sector. W was born from Westin, designed to be a lifestyle upscale brand. The difference between Westin and W is that W means individuality and Westin to be more distinguished and traditional. Westin and Marriott (to some extend Sheraton) are all competing in the same sector. W and JW Marriott also compete in the same segment that overlaps. There are differences among these two brands and characteristics, but essentially, to hospitality industry and to travel agents that trying to sell a room, W and JW Marriott are two brands that are in the same category.

Your managers are also right about the merger of Sheraton and Marriott, they have too many brands that are confusing customers. There was a great article by Business Traveller on this issue, you should google it.

As a hotel employee, hotel employee rate is a privilege, why would you waste money to book a luxury hotel when you have a great rate as an employee? In fact, all the non-frequent flyers would see people paying 5 times more of room rate to enjoy the so called benefits crazy.

I think your experience of working for this Holiday Inn Express in central Taiwan is a poor show of yourself. There is lacking of professionalism from you to do the job properly and to understand the industry properly, and to cherish the experience with your co-workers. Plus your post also demonstrated that you looked down at your co-workers and managers which is very offensive to any industry. As a guest, you might feel good about yourself when you step in a W or JW Marriott, or even a Ritz if you splash your cash around. These feel good factor is everything to do with brand names and what the brand holders wish you to believe. But in reality, a good hotel provides a good bed for a good night sleep and good service as extra. There is no difference between a room in W and a room in Holiday Inn Express if to have a good sleep is your aim to stay at a hotel.

It is not the hotel workers have been 'wired'. The problem is that your understanding of 'brand position' is very amateurish and it affected your attitude. You might think of working for Ritz is grandeur and your ex-coworkers in Holiday Inn Express has no class, but your post is making yourself looking 'wired' than ever.

Just my two cents.

Hey IHG guy, do you also feels good about yourself posting incorrect information ?

Please check all the responses from your statement that W was born from Westin.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...l#post30731456

Again. such shame, this is the behavior of IHG people, posting incorrect info, twisting fact, my ex-manager even told our employee that" new Marriott " does not allowing Plat member to get suite upgrade anymore.

Yes, people can get confused about so many brands under Marriott. But I doubt anyone who really would Pay and STAY in JW or W would not able to tell the difference!You will probably heard someone said that Andaz and W is competing in the same market, but who would think that JW Marriott and W hotel are targeting the same customers! Your incorrect information and totally wrong knowledge for those, just like my poor Sales director supervisor, is not going to help you ! You need to CORRECT your post!

Based on what and where do you get the idea that W was born from Westin? When 10 Starwood guests were told me it was totally wrong !

It's so Stuipid that those information are coming from and GM and sales director of and IHG, instead of a 3 years old.

If you don't understand anything other than IHG, please don't say anything, or passing and even educated those incorrect information to your co-workers!

You are right about my attitude for this job, my previous job allowing me to have almost double salary comparing to IHG, why would I stay there and using the empoyee rate?

I respect everyone one from GM to housekeeping when I stay in each Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, but I would never respect those kind of manager who feels so good about herself, who actually know so little about its competitor, and passing wrong information to co-workers!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
OK, in China, IHG hotel, not on the mainland....we're talking about one of the Hong Kong properties?

Or is Great China Area a euphemism for Taiwan?

It's Flyertalk. We name names here. Which hotel?
don't stay there!

If you really need to know, pm me.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus

Just my two cents.
+1 on this post.
As someone that works for Marriott (Ritz actually), I can agree with lots of what's said here.
There is a lot of overlap b/w the brands now since the merger. This is even talked about/discussed internally.
The brands comparison chart is like a spider web!

Sure working at the Ritz sounds flashy but it's just a job when all is said and done.

Sounds like OP is working with people that he doesn't get along with (for one reason or another), so maybe it's time to look for a new job?
dimon84 likes this.

Last edited by iceblueshoes; Feb 3, 2019 at 2:50 pm
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:32 am
Suspended

Hey IHG guy, do you also feels good about yourself posting incorrect information ?

Please check all the responses from your statement that W was born from Westin.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...l#post30731456

Again. such shame, this is the behavior of IHG people, posting incorrect info, twisting fact, my ex-manager even told our employee that" new Marriott " does not allowing Plat member to get suite upgrade anymore.

Yes, people can get confused about so many brands under Marriott. But I doubt anyone who really would Pay and STAY in JW or W would not able to tell the difference!You will probably heard someone said that Andaz and W is competing in the same market, but who would think that JW Marriott and W hotel are targeting the same customers! Your incorrect information and totally wrong knowledge for those, just like my poor Sales director supervisor, is not going to help you ! You need to CORRECT your post!

Based on what and where do you get the idea that W was born from Westin? When 10 Starwood guests were told me it was totally wrong !

It's so Stuipid that those information are coming from and GM and sales director of and IHG, instead of a 3 years old.

If you don't understand anything other than IHG, please don't say anything, or passing and even educated those incorrect information to your co-workers!

You are right about my attitude for this job, my previous job allowing me to have almost double salary comparing to IHG, why would I stay there and using the empoyee rate?

I respect everyone one from GM to housekeeping when I stay in each Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, but I would never respect those kind of manager who feels so good about herself, who actually know so little about its competitor, and passing wrong information to co-workers!
Pal, please do not insult your fellow forum member by accusing anyone who is saying something you do not like to hear is IHG guy. There is no need for that.

if you can not get your head around the history of W brand that was developed based from Westin, I suggest you to learn more. And if 10 of Stanwood guests told you that is not true, maybe you should start to learn how to find the good source.

I can tell you the history of W brand and I can tell you the reality about brand positioning. But one thing I can not teach you is how to respect other people, that include your manager, your Co workers, your fellow forum members and someone told you useful information and you choose to disregards. Good luck to your next job.
shoven, iceblueshoes and dimon84 like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Pal, please do not insult your fellow forum member by accusing anyone who is saying something you do not like to hear is IHG guy. There is no need for that.

if you can not get your head around the history of W brand that was developed based from Westin, I suggest you to learn more. And if 10 of Stanwood guests told you that is not true, maybe you should start to learn how to find the good source.

I can tell you the history of W brand and I can tell you the reality about brand positioning. But one thing I can not teach you is how to respect other people, that include your manager, your Co workers, your fellow forum members and someone told you useful information and you choose to disregards. Good luck to your next job.
W is based from Westin? Sure, prove it, where is your source, why everyone in Marriott forum having different voice about it???

Oh yeah, it looks like you might have not read the post I started just for you , brother.

Or, all those response , all those experienced traveled from Marriott forum that response to both of your statement" Jw and W is competing in same market", " W was born from Westin" are BOTH INCORRECT. So maybe, if you are right, me and all those people form Marriott forum are all dummies.

It would also be childish for me that to accused someone's knowledge or understanding of a certain things is "amateurish" just because you don't agree with me, doesn't mean you and my IHG GM, sales director are correct. As matter of fact, from what I verified at Marriott forum, three of you guys are all wrong from your statement of Marriott brands.

Yeah, I do respect all those responses at Marriott forum for your statement, I even thank them for that verified for me, but have you seen it? Or you might think that Marriott forum here at Flyertalk is not a useful site? Just because what they said is different to you?

I am also stupid enough to argue with a GM and sales director at HIX whom probably both never stay at a JW or Ritz.

I would never spend a penny in my lifetime at IHG related hotels and business.

Good luck to you and your "useful information", you must be staying at thousands of Marriott/SPG hotels to know so much knowledge about W and Westin that neither of us at Marriott forum traveler heard of .

You can keep it, I don't need that.
MasterGeek and submonte like this.

Last edited by Vince Chan; Feb 3, 2019 at 9:01 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:21 pm

I'm now calling BS on basically this whole thread. OP won't even name the property.

Totally off-topic, but...

Are JW and W competitors? Throughout much of the past 20 years, if I was in the market for a big-city stay, I'd consider both of these brands as upper-upscale type hotels. They have different styles of course, but yes I would definitely say they were competing. I was a Starwood, Marriott, and Hilton member (usually in the Gold/Plat/Diamond range), so I'd look at both of these two and get rates from the Conrad while I was at it. So the notion that they weren't competitors seems strange. Their target demographics may have varied a little bit, but there was a huge amount of overlap.

Did W come from Westin? Well, Westin was a prominent Starwood brand, and then W emerged as a slightly more upscale and somewhat trendier version of that in the 1990s. So it seems reasonable to assume that some of the Westin people were involved in helping launch W. That makes more sense to me than to think of it as a St Regis offshoot, although I suppose there was some influence from that end as well.

Now there are 30 brands that Marriott has to try and differentiate in one program. I honestly don't know enough about the hotel industry to know why people think that's a great strategy. From the guest point of view, I would have been happy if they'd consolidated a few of them.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:23 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
It’s a laughable concept that a frequent guest would know more about hospitality than staff! Thanks for the amusing quip that is the first post . While you maybe a frequent guest, all your experience is about the end product, not how it got there, what the economics are of providing it (ie REVPAR) and what are the best practices for the owner.

I can honestly say I spend every night in a hotel and have done so for years, and I doubt I know 5% of what’s needed to run a hotel. As for W coming from Westin, that is a fact, it was announced just after Starwood aquired their first chain, Westin in January 1998, as a more localised example of a business hotel compared to the previous cookie cutter format. Starwood aquired ITT a month later, bringing Sheraton into the range.

Last edited by markis10; Feb 9, 2019 at 5:38 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by markis10
It’s a laughable concept that a frequent guest would know more about hospitality than staff! Thanks for the amusing quip that is the first post . While you maybe a frequent guest, all your experience is about the end product, not how it got there, what the economics are of providing it (ie REVPAR) and what are the best practices for the owner.
It is definitely time now to comment. A frequent guest like OP who regularly stays at midscale to luxury hotels worldwide may have an even much better idea of hospitality than an x-arbitrary manager who runs a midscale hotel somewhere (in Greater China or elsewhere in the world). The manager might have learned what is REVPAR and what should be good for the owner but that does not mean the guests will be satisfied with the outcome of his management and what they understand as hospitality.
Vince Chan likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
. But I doubt anyone who really would Pay and STAY in JW or W would not able to tell the difference!

you will be surprise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.