Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Points Devaluation ***January 25th***

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Keyser
not so bad....there are about half a dozen properties where i typically use points....only 1 has gone up by 5k points while the rest remain the same....
Every single property I’ve used points at the last few years, in places as diverse as PDX, LAS, PHX, LHR has gotten an increase the last couple of years. This year it’s PHX and LHR (staying at both in 2019, both got jacked). So it’s definitely a case of “your mileage may vary”.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So it’s definitely a case of “your mileage may vary”.
of course it is....its the same thing every year when cat changes happen....
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by turner32
The greatest redemption value I've ever seen was IC Park Lane on NYE. Cash rate for Classic room was Ł1380, but was available briefly for 70'000 points.
[secret] There is one IC by an African airport, cash rate always higher than Ł200. Still at 30K redemption. A bargain if you need the room. [/secret]
355F1 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
For this promo I need three nights booked with bonus points packages.

However, none of the hotels I am looking at seem to offer them!

Have these bonus points packages been pulled? Can anyone provide an example of a hotel offering them?

Even if I book via https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/de...points-package I cannot see them on the 10 or so hotels I looked at.

Thanks.
I've managed to book those bonus point packages using the IHG app, it's not showing on any of the desktop versions.

locked down with indigo Antwerp and CP brussels
good luck
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

Well... I’m not sure how it’s different, but if you can get less with the same amount of points, then your points are worth less, hence you’re getting less value for what you have. If that isn’t a devaluation, please explain what is, in your view
This term is thrown around too much. To me, a devaluation is when the entire program loses value. It's usually accompanied by "here's some great new features we added". Like what Marriott is currently doing. Like when Hilton told you you would now get extra points for elite bonuses, but make existing points worth less. The points were actually devalued. Any existing balances were much more impacted than this.

An increase in point requirement for 10% of properties is inflation to me. Sure you can find a few areas where the cash price may not vary at all (or it is hard to prove a change). I don't say my dollar is devalued when the cash price goes up. "Cash used to get me so much more!" It's called inflation.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The greatest redemption value I've ever seen was IC Park Lane on NYE. Cash rate for Classic room was Ł1380, but was available briefly for 70'000 points.
Except you never had the slightest intention of paying Ł1380 and would have stayed in an equally nice hotel for less...
tbm13 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Except you never had the slightest intention of paying Ł1380 and would have stayed in an equally nice hotel for less...
No, I wouldn't. However, that wasn't my point.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
No, I wouldn't. However, that wasn't my point.
"redemption value" did suggest that was your point.

We all know that there are sometimes crazy prices - be it First Class plane tickets or NYE hotel rooms - but to suggest that "value" and "price" are the same thing is incorrect.

It would be wonderful if people were more honest - "I get a thrill out of thinking that the guy in the next room or plane seat might have paid a fortune" - instead of pretending that they received some amazing "value" from the exact same hotel room that would cost $150 two weeks later.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: IHG
"redemption value" did suggest that was your point.

We all know that there are sometimes crazy prices - be it First Class plane tickets or NYE hotel rooms - but to suggest that "value" and "price" are the same thing is incorrect.

It would be wonderful if people were more honest - "I get a thrill out of thinking that the guy in the next room or plane seat might have paid a fortune" - instead of pretending that they received some amazing "value" from the exact same hotel room that would cost $150 two weeks later.

No. I didn't stay. It was just an observation, that there was value to be had if someone wanted/needed to stay at that property on that particular night. I don't know why you're trying to make such a big deal about it. I was simply saying that 70'000 points for a Ł1380 room is a very good redemption, by any standards. I think most would agree.
Keefy-boy likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The properties on the list which I am familiar with have price changes that mostly make sense. Cincinnati and El Paso getting a general bump doesn't make a lot of sense to me given the cash rates. Add the usual SEA/RDU/AUS/BNA popularity and it is not too bad overall.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
This is no surprise when IHG is selling huge amount of points for 0.5cpp and with new IHG card that gives 4th night free.
tbm13 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
The PDF now says "Effective 25 January 2019".
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I went through a similar scenario. My room was $1400 in Times Square on NYE or 70k points. Would I have paid that out of pocket? No. Would I have found an equal room and location, for less money? Also no.

For as much as everyone dogs IHG rewards, there are some damn good returns.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:25 pm

Thanks @Lionheart. You have eagle eyes!

Can the thread title be changed to eff Jan 25?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Troopers
Can the thread title be changed to eff Jan 25?
Done.

--jpdx, IHG Co-Mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.