Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG 1Q 2019 Multi Brand Promo (15 JAN - 30 APR) - registration open

Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beachmouse
A new year and a new IHG promotion. Answers to some Frequently Asked Questions below:

For newcomers to IHG promotions, note that Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn (including Holiday Inn Resorts) are two different brand categories for these things. If your dashboard says 'stay at a Holiday Inn Express' as one of the tasks and you stay at a Holiday Inn, it will NOT credit for the Holiday Inn Express task. (and vice versa)

For a task that says 'Stay X number of times at a Holiday Inn Express' (or Holiday Inn, Intercontinental, etc.) each stay must be at a different property for it to fully credit rather than staying at the same property multiple times.

An award stay only counts toward a task that specifically requires an award stay and will not count toward other tasks and night requirements for the purposes of the promotion. (Award stays do count toward general elite qualification, but that's outside this promotion)

'Redeem points' award nights only count for the 'redeem points' task and no other tasks. (example- an award night does not count toward 'Stay X number of nights')

At IHG, points + cash stays are simply points stays where you bought some of the points at the time of the reservation. Once you finish the reservation, a points + cash stay shows as a points stay. Thus points + cash stays only count for tasks where they are specified, and not other tasks.

Doing a points + cash booking and then cancelling it does NOT trigger a 'buy points' task completion. A 'buy points' task is a points transaction that is processed through points.com

The 'pay with your IHG credit card' task has typically been very slow to post. If it does within about two weeks of completing a stay, that's relatively quick, and it will often be several weeks beyond that, depending on when your statement closing date is and how IHG's system sweep is timed.

Some offers require booking within the promotion period in addition to staying during the promotion period.

Registration & dashboard link:

https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/offers/multibrand2019
Print Wikipost

IHG 1Q 2019 Multi Brand Promo (15 JAN - 30 APR) - registration open

Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My offers:

Discover Our Brands
Stay at 3 brands and get 14,400 bonus points.

Stay at Holiday Inn®
Stay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotel(s)—including Holiday Inn Resort® and Holiday Inn Club Vacations®—and earn 5,600 bonus points.

Saturday Stays Bonus
Stay 2 weekend(s), including a Saturday night and another night, and earn 3,200 bonus points.

Earn More, Faster
Earn 6,600 bonus points when you book 3 Bonus Points Package stay(s) and get to your next reward faster.

Stay a Little Longer
Earn 12,000 bonus points when you book 2 stay(s) of 4 or more consecutive nights.

Spend on your IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
Book and pay for one stay with your IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card and earn 1,500 bonus points.

February Bonus Offer
Stay once in February and get 3,000 bonus points.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:16 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by iggyray
I am trying to understand the requirement for bonus packages, as there are two options:
1. The regular bonus points package, as always
2. Option to purchase 1000, 2000, or 3000 points together with the reservation for $4.50/1000

Now my question is will a booking with the second option, when I pay extra $4.50 for 1000 points count towards the "bonus points package" activity, or this must be something marked as "Bonus Points PACKAGE"?
I would like to know this too, but at all the hotels I look at, it seems like option 1 costs the same as option 2 + buying 1000 points.

And with option 1 it also lets you buy an extra 1000 or 2000 points which appears to be equivalent to option 2 + 2000 or 3000.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:25 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I noticed something unsettling - on the website my Achievement Bonus shows as COMPLETE 4 OF 5, but I got an email from IHG which says COMPLETE 4 OF 4.

Now I'm not sure whether I can skip one of them or whether 4 of 4 means the Feb offer (below the main ones) isn't counted??
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Mine is impossible if I don't travel - the closest IHG city is Hamburg and there are only 3 brands:Discover Our Brands
Stay at 4 brands and get 33,600 bonus points.
Saturday Stays Bonus
Stay 2 weekend(s), including a Saturday night and another night, and earn 8,400 bonus points.
Stay at 4 IHG® Hotels
Stay at 4 IHG® hotel(s) and earn 2,800 bonus points.
Earn More, Faster
Earn 6,600 bonus points when you book 2 Bonus Points Package stay(s) and get to your next reward faster.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
This is a dumb promotion this time round, really dumb. I have two bonus points bookings as a challenge and the two hotels at which I want to stay in early February don't offer bonus points packages (Valencia, Spain). Result? I went and booked a Lonely Planet recommendation in the city center using hotels.com. I would make that bit more effort if the points on offer were more than 40,000, but with the recent devaluations I think they are taking the mickey.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I've decided I'm out for this promo. I'm not even going to try. To get the lion's share of the points offered I'd have to stretch pretty hard from my planned travel pattern. It's just not worth it. I've decided instead to spend Jan-Apr doing more Burn than Earn when it comes to hotel points... across all the programs I collect points with. With constant hotel inflation sapping the value of earned points it's time to get some points off the books!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Accor Gold
After not finishing the last two promos I now have my biggest offering ever, 52,800 base points + 52,800 completion bonus,
requiring 2x4n stays, 3 weekends, 4 brands, 2 IC's (so minimum 12 nights)...

And for the wife... 40,400 base + 20,200 completion bonus,
requiring 6 nights, 2 weekends, 2 bpp, 1 p+c, 3 brands and 2 hotels (so minimum 3 x 2n stays)
and if she stays 3 nights can keep the Gold membership for the rest of the year
[Given that she retained Gold at the end of 2018 I think the tasks were coded before mid-December]

Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
Something odd is going on.

When I registered on Thursday (3rd Jan) my 'Achievment Bonus' was 'Complete 4 out of 5 offers to earn an additional 71,700 points (I took a screen print of it along with the tasks so have a hard copy).

Today it has changed to::

Your Achievement Bonus
Complete 5 of the 5 offers and earn (an additional) 71,700 bonus points.

Has anyone else's number of tasks for the Achievement Bonus changed?

BM
Mine has changed, too, for the worse. 4 of 5 (5th being stay once in Feb for 2000 pts) to 4 of 4 (with the Feb stay being just an extra incentive, I suppose, but not one of the 4). Discouraging.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
For me, among those tasks above, the killer is this weekend stay involving a Saturday and one other night. I am just not going to do that, or even go out of my way to do it. I don't think I ever did it, because I only had that task once before and I believe that there is only a certain level of inconvenience you should go to in order to complete these promotions. When I first participated in Accelerate (Into the Nights or something it was called back then) my target was something like 127,000 points, with reasonable goals. It was actually worth a bit of inconvenience, but nowadays the inconvenience is just not worth the reward (don't forget all the devaluations).

If I might make a suggestion, I believe IHG going forward should think about doing much more simplified versions of these promotions, along the lines of the current Hilton one: you get 2,000 points for each booking, and an extra 10,000 after each 5th stay. That is uncomplicated and drives bookings and business without the need to jump through all these silly circus hoops. I can't believe that these IHG promos really drive a lot of bookings any more. Most ordinary people can't be bothered with all the faff involved.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Concerto
For me, among those tasks above, the killer is this weekend stay involving a Saturday and one other night.
The difficulty of doing two 2-night weekend stays is a big part of the reason I've chosen to sit this one out. I make weekend trips at least once a month and always consider IHG properties when doing so, but many of my weekend trips are 1-nighters. And many of those that are 2 nights are "1 night here, 1 night there". It's generally only once or twice a year that I stay a whole weekend at one hotel. Now IHG wants me to do that twice in one quarter with them for a small bonus.

If I might make a suggestion, I believe IHG going forward should think about doing much more simplified versions of these promotions, along the lines of the current Hilton one: you get 2,000 points for each booking, and an extra 10,000 after each 5th stay.
I think IHG and HH are trying to incentivize slightly different behavior with their promos. HH's traditionally simple bonuses that reward every stay/night are saying, "Stay with us, not our competitor." IHG's task-oriented bonuses say, "Stay with us more than you have in the past." That includes not just switching routine stays from other brands but stretching your travel pattern with extra days, brands, and locations you normally don't travel.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by Ismilee
Mine has changed, too, for the worse. 4 of 5 (5th being stay once in Feb for 2000 pts) to 4 of 4 (with the Feb stay being just an extra incentive, I suppose, but not one of the 4). Discouraging.
I did put in a complaint about it, however all I got was an e-mail saying there had been an error on a very small number of accounts which had now been corrected.

About par for the course with ihg I am afraid.

BM
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: HH Dia, IHG Dia Amb, MB Ti, WoH G, OWE
Originally Posted by Concerto
This is a dumb promotion this time round, really dumb. I have two bonus points bookings as a challenge and the two hotels at which I want to stay in early February don't offer bonus points packages (Valencia, Spain). Result? I went and booked a Lonely Planet recommendation in the city center using hotels.com. I would make that bit more effort if the points on offer were more than 40,000, but with the recent devaluations I think they are taking the mickey.
In case bonus pts pkg didn’t appear on desktop’s web browser, try use App instead.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:57 am

Do AAA rates count for this promotion?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bobby21
Do AAA rates count for this promotion?
AAA rates have always counted in the past- they typically run about a 10% discount and it generally takes 25% or more of a discount to have it become non-qualifying
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:51 am

Thanks beachnouse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.