Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador Experiences 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Intercontinental Hong Kong

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked basic room received room with a view (wow what a view)

How are the rooms?
Reasonable size but wow! what a view...best view ever.

How is the exec. lounge?
Good...but like most lounges...generic lounge food really...I sometimes don't like that I get lounge access (when on holiday). For work travel it's good.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Some tea.

How was the minibar?
Good, couple of local beers, couple of wines.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
View!! really one of the best views I have ever seen.
-Bad
Had to raise two complaints at the start of our trip. The shower was broken and...something else I can't remember, woops! but they were resolved quickly.
The free drinks voucher is a bit lame, you have to order off a seperate menu and the menu was really poorly presented.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
It was expensive...I am not sure it's worth the cost.

Would you return?
Sure, if I get a good deal!
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Originally Posted by Lewis42
Booked basic room received room with a view (wow what a view)
Reasonable size but wow! what a view...best view ever.
View!! really one of the best views I have ever seen.
I'd say such praise would warrant a picture
FFlash likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
InterContinental Wellington

Yes

Booked basic room on Ambassador Free night rate received Club room with harbour view

How are the rooms?
Still pleasant but probably in need of a refresh now, looking a bit dated. Only issue for us was the very soft bed, which seems to be common at ICs.

How is the exec. lounge?
I really like this lounge. Great breakfast and evening selection, with attentive staff.

Chocolates, macaroons and a fruit plate.

How was the minibar?
Didn’t use but it usually has a couple of beers, half bottle of wine and some soft drinks. No spirits.

-Good
The lounge
Recognition from GM and Club staff as a frequent stayer

-Bad
Bed way too soft for us

On an Ambassador Weekend deal, yes

Would you return?
Absolutely
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:42 am

InterContinental Berlin

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Royal Ambassador

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes!

Superior Room -> Signature Suite (Park Suite)
Note: I have no idea, why I was given this over-the-top upgrade. It is definitely not usual. You can even be sure that you will almost certainly only get a Junior Suite.
If you fancy the Park Suite, it is better to book Club Deluxe and hope, the Club Senior Suites have already been allocated.

How was your room?
In my opinion the most beautiful room of all 558 rooms, even if it is not the biggest (Presidential Suite "Bill Clinton Suite" [600] with ca. 200 sqm).
Size is ca. 140-160 sqm, you may have dinner with up to 10-12 people, a huge 2m bed, bathtub with view to Siegessäule, Bang & Olufsen sound system, meeting room, a small kitchenette, 2 WCs, much storage space...
Just the view is not really spectacular. I prefer the views of rooms with odd numbers in the west wing.

How is the Club InterContinental?
Staff is excellent, breakfast is great and of high quality. But I am not convinced of the served miniature canapés between 5 and 8 pm. There is no choice. You get, what they serve. Take it, or leave it.
Don't fancy the canapés? Have fun with vegetables, fruits, bread, cheese, several dips and oils. You won't have success finding a non-vegetarian alternative.
Cheap champagne, which tastes worse than a comparably expensive sparkling wine and a costly preparation of the canapés for each individual guest is such an unnecessary hassle, so that the additional costs are out of all proportion to the result for the guest.
Often the warm canapés arrive cold. When they changed this new lounge offer in early 2017, I have never booked a club room again. In 2017 I was not an RA.

What was your welcome gift?
Standard Ambassador treatment.

How was the mini-bar?
apple/orange juice, coke (+light), 4 bottles of water, 2x Thomas henry bottles, red bull (+sugar free), 2x beer, 1x prosecco, 5x5cl hard liqueur, Toblerone, Pringles, Haribo, snickers, peanuts, no condoms like in west wing

What was good?
-Staff
-Drink voucher is good for 2 pax, each up to 16EUR at Marlene Bar.
-Room and restaurant breakfast included (10EUR charge for room breakfast a la carte)
-Early check in at 8am worked.

What was bad?
Nothing.

Value for €?
104EUR for a 2500EUR suite with all other benefits when a mediocre Holiday Inn or Indigo would have been 8EUR less. Best value ever ^

Would you return?
Yes, the staff knows me and are nice to me. Price discrepancy between luxury hotels and four-star hotels is comparatively low in Berlin. A no brainer with RA.
Would be even more happy if they don't stick strictly to the 2-level-upgrade the whole year which results 99% in a Junior Suite, what I am expecting.

FLYGVA, ninjalad, turner32 and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
Nice upgrade I do prefer the view from the even nos. I'm there next week and my booking has just changed to a club senior suite(from club deluxe), as an ordinary Ambassador I'm happy.
Well I'm there now and got the Park suite too, to be honest I think I prefer the Club seniors in many ways, maybe I'm just weird
Cielito_ likes this.

Last edited by ninjalad; Feb 1, 2019 at 7:17 pm Reason: Update
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:55 am

IC Real Guatemala City

IC Real Guatemala City

Mostly

Booked cheapest, received what they call Junior Suite on Club floor.

How are the rooms?
Size of about two regular rooms. Living room with sitting area, work desk, separate toilet. Bed room with another sofa, minibar. Bathroom with separate shower and low tub (full with only about 20 cm water). Clean, enough power outlets.

How is the exec. lounge?
Not good.
Lounge is closed on weekend mornings, you can have breakfast in the main restaurant which is relatively good. Otherwise you need to have breakfast in the lounge, limited selection.
No high tea, only coffee etc and some cookies.
In the evening limited selection of some hot and cold dishes

4 fruits and small bottle of water, not refilled

How was the minibar?
Minimalistic, 3 beers, 1 bottle of water, small bottle of red and sparkling wine, no diet soft drinks and 5 small bottles of alcohol.. Also 2 bottles of evian (1 l and 500 cc) on the workdesk

-Good
++ Room Upgrade
++ Great concierge and very friendly staff
+ Nice spa, but it is unpredictable if it is open or not

-Bad
--- I tried to email the hotel before with some questions. They never responded. Asked Ambassador service to contact them, they also did not get a response
--- They have a shuttle from/to GUA airport which is supposed to run one an hour. There was an Aviana crew waiting for the shuttle at the airport for already significantly more than one hour. Better to take a taxi - should be 10 US$ for 3 or 4 km.
-- Lounge
- No turn down service
- No benefit letter or explanation of benefits

Rate was pretty low, value was good

Would you return?
No if I don't need to, but more because of the city and not because of the hotel
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Intercontinental NYC Times Square

Yes. I stayed on January 31st, the day before the new RA benefit changes.
I booked King Bed Superior Room (cheapest) and was upgraded to King Bed Deluxe Family Studio. This particular room is now excluded from upgrades in the T&C, but the gentleman checking me in at the AMB desk told me that they still upgrade RAs to that room during the slow season. This used to be the default upgrade for RAs.
How are the rooms?
The room is spacious for NYC, with wraparound floor to ceiling windows and views of 8th avenue. I would recommend one of the higher floors though. I was on floor 18 and you definitely can't see as much from that low. The seating area with pullout sofa is separated from the sleeping area by a removable barrier. In my opinion these rooms are starting to show their age a bit, but the space and views make up for it. And the beds are still incredibly comfortable.
How is the exec. lounge?
N/A
I was offered choice of 600 points or 2 free drinks at the lobby bar. I chose the two cocktails which retailed for $15 each. A welcome amenity of fruit and nuts was also brought to my room with water, but only after I called down requesting it.
How was the minibar?
Minibar is decent. Plenty of minis, a bottle of red/white, and 1/4 bottle of Moet (really?). They used to have half bottles at least.

-Good
The upgrade was nice, and I enjoyed the drinks at the bar. And parking is still reasonable at $42, whereas the Barclay charges $70.
-Bad
Nothing that I can think of.
I was able to get a rate of $175 which I think is great value. Realistically anything under $250 Is great value at this hotel.
Would you return?
Yes, I will be back.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

How was the minibar?

Mixed, I preferred the contents on my last visit a few years prior but with the exception of only one half bottle of white and the very small Moet piccolo, it was quite decent. What seems to be new is in addition to a decent array of spirits in the minibar there is a set of drinks above the minibar (full bottle of good local blend, 2 half bottles of red, relatively large spirits I think at least 25cl (Goose, Makers Mark, Patron, Tanqueray gin etc.) all included within the minibar benefit
Interesting you mention the larger bottles. When I was there this summer, someone came up to my room with a crate as soon as I checked in. He knocked and said he was there to "remove the large alcohol bottles from the minibar". I questioned him and he insisted he was sent by the manager. I walked down immediately and asked why the alcohol was being removed, and the manager claimed there was a request on the reservation to have the alcohol removed (maybe for religious reasons, addiction, etc.). I informed him that I never made such a request and questioned why they weren't also removing the smaller bottles if this were the case. I believe that the manager made up that story to cover up the fact they didn't want me consuming any of the larger bottles as part of my RA benefit. I had no intentions of consuming the larger bottles, but since they embarrassed me and made me out to be some alcoholic monster who drinks anything in plain view, I took a full bottle of Patron home with me just to spite them.

But now with the $50 cap I'm sure those bottles are out of reach and they're happier than ever.
turner32 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I took a full bottle of Patron home with me just to spite them.
All though I completely understand your position and how pathetic the hotel (manager) acted, a more appropriate course of action would probably have been to open the bottle and leave it completely full in the middle of the room (safely within the T&C). Instead you might have added fuel to the fire for the hotels that have complained about RAs who take the premium alcohol with them upon check-out.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Yes. I stayed on January 31st, the day before the new RA benefit changes.
I booked King Bed Superior Room (cheapest) and was upgraded to King Bed Deluxe Family Studio. This particular room is now excluded from upgrades in the T&C, but the gentleman checking me in at the AMB desk told me that they still upgrade RAs to that room during the slow season. This used to be the default upgrade for RAs.
How are the rooms?
The room is spacious for NYC, with wraparound floor to ceiling windows and views of 8th avenue. I would recommend one of the higher floors though. I was on floor 18 and you definitely can't see as much from that low. The seating area with pullout sofa is separated from the sleeping area by a removable barrier. In my opinion these rooms are starting to show their age a bit, but the space and views make up for it. And the beds are still incredibly comfortable.
How is the exec. lounge?
N/A
I was offered choice of 600 points or 2 free drinks at the lobby bar. I chose the two cocktails which retailed for $15 each. A welcome amenity of fruit and nuts was also brought to my room with water, but only after I called down requesting it.
How was the minibar?
Minibar is decent. Plenty of minis, a bottle of red/white, and 1/4 bottle of Moet (really?). They used to have half bottles at least.

-Good
The upgrade was nice, and I enjoyed the drinks at the bar. And parking is still reasonable at $42, whereas the Barclay charges $70.i
-Bad
Nothing that I can think of.
I was able to get a rate of $175 which I think is great value. Realistically anything under $250 Is great value at this hotel.
Would you return?
Yes, I will be back.
With the Barclay and TS now offering little in tne way of real upgrades, I think I would be looking to Hilton or Marriott in future or Kimpton.
ILS2 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Spire Royal Ambassador

Yes, Very much,so.

Booked 7 nights Executive Room with Advance Purchase Rate, received Junior Suite “River View” on 2nd floor. But this room is partial river view, almost city view. And loud quarrel voice was coming from the next room in the midnight. So I asked duty manager to room change. Then moved to Penthouse Suite from 2nd night.

And after few days, I asked to up-sell to the Dom Perignon Luxury Suite.

How are the rooms?
[Junior Suite]
47sqm. Just only spacious than Standard Executive Room.

Video of Junior Suite :

[Penthouse Suite]
65sqm duplex style suite room. This room has unique balcony on the upper level. You can enjoy beautiful Amsterdam skyline from here.

Video of Penthouse Suite:

[Dom Perignon Luxury Suite]
This 102sqm iconic luxury suite room was originally able to configured divide by 55sqm Dom Pérignon Executive Suite and 47sqm Dom Pérignon Junior Suite. Full configuration is called Dom Pérignon Luxury Suite. As of 2019, only full configuration is sold in public. 2x bathrooms, 2x mini-bars, 3x Philips LCD TV, Fendy’s furnitures, Dom Perignon designed bathrobes and towels. This rooms can be connected to the next Standard Executive Room.

Video of Dom Perignon Luxury Suite :

How is the Club Lounge?
N/A
As of today, No Club Experience provided, but FOC breakfast.

What was your welcome gift?
Can of stroopwafles, Chocolate (first night at a Junior Suite), bottle of Dom Perignon Champagne, and a savory snack plate (after moved to the Dom Perignon Luxury Suite)

How was the mini-bar?
For in-fridge items, 2x bottles of Heineken, and 1x demi bottle of white wine, alcohol beverages are that’s all. And plenty of bottled waters, some small selection of sodas.

For open mini-bar, all demi size of spirits, red wine, and 4x nuts selections. Welcome letter said that open mini-bar is NOT free for RAs. To be honest, really confused. (RA credit is not applied??) I didn’t touch them.

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes, one of the most plenty plate I have ever received.

GOOD
++++++++++ Guest recognitions
++++++++++ Dom Perignon Suite
++++++++++ Delicious Breakfast with free flow Champagne
++++++++++ Friendly people from GM to housekeeper
+++++ Water pressure of shower
+++++ Level of housekeeping

BAD
——- Loud quarrel voice was coming from the next room in the midnight. (Even though this is not a hotel’s fault)
——- Tasteless Junior Suite.
— RA benefit information is not clear

Value for $ or Rewards Club Points?
Yes

Would you return?
Yes, Definitely. Here is really beautiful and excellent hotel.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
IC Marceau Av

Ehhh... not overly

Basic, received highest non-suite

How are the rooms?
Ok...small desk etc. Size is ok but furnished more like a shoddy Hotel Indigo

How is the exec. lounge?
Does not have one. Instead offers completely free minibar and breakfast...

Chocolate with the eiffel tower on

How was the minibar?
Ok, pretty good. Nothing special though. No complaints either.

-Good
- Price compared to the other IC was good.
- Location is good
- Staff are good

-Bad
- Pretty awful food in the evening bar / restaurant. I ordered a Croque Monsiuer and I returned it after 1 bite. This is the first time in my life I have returned food.

I paid using $. It isn't bad value but only to be used as a 'base' and not to enjoy the hotel!

Would you return?
If the price of the other IC is too expensive.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
IC Sandton

Yes

Booked basic room received initially a Club room. As this had serious cleanliness issues I received a Suite

How are the rooms?
Quite large, separate living room with dining table for 4, large corner with couch 2 lounge chairs B&O TV system and separated from this a desk. Half toilet left of the entrance. Bedroom with separate luggage room. Full bath with tub and shower

How is the exec. lounge?
Good...especially the staff is exceptional. High tea is the highlight of the offers. In the evening you get 3 hot canapes and some cold cuts. For breakfast you can order hot items. Found it only packed in the morning for breakfast

A bottle of red

How was the minibar?
Good, couple of beer, wine and a local sparkling wine. Very reasonably priced. As RA its difficult to get to the limit

-Good
Location, the hotel is attached to a huge mall and convention centre. You can get to Mandela Square without getting wet . Staff at club level is very accomodating.

-Bad
Significant cleanliness issue in the initial room. As it was taken care of, it was fine for me. Went first to the general priority CI. The lady looked at me and disappeared without saying anything. Finally somebody else showed up and directed me to the club lounge for check-in

not cheap given local circumstances. but definitely a good business hotel

Would you return?
Sure, when in the area
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:43 am

Intercontinental Prague

Yeah

Booked basic, received Executive Suite. I was upgraded to this about ~2 weeks ahead of my stay

How are the rooms?
Large, seperate bedroom and living area. It has a seperate bath...I don't really have any complaints. the rooms are fine.

How is the exec. lounge?
I am not sure why but I both love this lounge and dislike it at the same time. The views from it are a bit meh...but selection on offer is good.
1. Breakfast is good...normal small lounge buffet and a menu to order.
2. Afternoon tea is fine, some sandwiches and cake. Nice enough
3. Dinner is good, it's actually enough for a full meal and there is real food. Normally some vegetables, meat, fish and carb. It's good. Only thing is missing is bread!
4. There is a selection of booze (sparkling, wine, spirits, beer...) but they put this away at 19:30 which feels a little early but no big deal.

Bottle of red wine as usual

How was the minibar?
I would say "standard". Has beers, wine, spirits, soft drinks... Nothing of particularly great quality just good all round average minibar for an IC. The only downside is i would prefer more water in the minibar,

-Good
- Upgrade
- Breakfast in main restaurant OR Club lounge
- Lounge

-Bad
- It feels a bit like a shopping mall down stairs with all of the shops around etc... saying that, I enjoyed gawping at the Rolls Royce's

Hmmm, a tough one. It wasn't all that cheap when I was there but with RA it is great value. In Prague there are many nice hotels at a lower cost.

Would you return?
I always do!
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:42 am

IC New York The Barclay

Pleasant final stay at this property

Booked Executive King long before this property decided to exclude all suites from upgrades, originally "upgraded" to Barclay King (same s**t different wrapping), but eventually upgraded to Deluxe Suite after some emailing.

How are the rooms?
Deluxe suites are great. Located at the end of the hall, so not bothered by the hallway noise (which most certainly is an issue the closer you are to the elevators). Comfortable bed, separate tub / shower, living-room with sleeper sofa.

How is the exec. lounge?
Decent breakfast, but the evening spread is mediocre. The drink offerings are nothing special. Definitely not worth paying for as a solo traveler. Nice staff!

Chocolates & fruit

How was the minibar?
They offer good quality stuff, but at fantasy prices (Champagne at 70++ USD). 50 USD RA credit is of little value here.

-Good
Room
Lounge breakfast
Lounge staff
Lobby bar (expensive, but a nice place for a few drinks nonetheless)
No destination fee (and did not have to actively get it removed)

-Bad
New upgrade policy (Barclay King is now the highest category available for upgrade)
Minibar is a recipe for stress and check-out issues for RAs (the hotel is embracing the 50 USD limit wholeheartedly and enthusiastically)
Front desk staff will never win hospitality awards

For the price I paid: Sure!

Would you return?
No, this was my final stay at this property. With the new changes there is little or no added value for RAs at this hotel, so no reason to remain loyal.

Even as a fairly frequent guest, I get the feeling this hotel really wants to get out of all Ambassador commitments, perhaps IHG all together. They choose the path of least resistance and stick to the rules. Future RAs should expect no upgrades beyond Barclay King (and all rooms below Deluxe Suite are basically the same - so in reality zero upgrades), enjoy a Coke and a bottle of water from the minibar before hitting 50 USD cap (with taxes and fees) and mediocre lounge offerings in the afternoon / evening.
Unterwegs, FLYGVA and 336 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.