Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2018 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview

2018 discussion thread
Print Wikipost

2019 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
wow, 5 US properties in the 5k cat. my how breakpoints have fallen.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:44 am

Garbage as always
est-gratuite likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Handily, one hotel I stay at a bit is half as much at 10k points a night.
Did select Fri/Sat night at a cash + points rate of 5k / around £43 per night, so 10k + £86 (to complete my Accelerate target of cash+points) but it came up with a deduction of 20k points after I completed the booking. A pending payment of £86 is also showing against my card.

Added: Seems to have adjusted itself now and the app is showing me having purchase 2 x 5k points and spent 2 x 10k points. Overall balance has increased by 10k.

If all works out, it should be around 5k points + £86 for my £250 stay
i.e.
10k points from account.
£86 cash to buy 10k points (usually just under £5 per 1000 for a bonus points package so a bit more here)
4500 points back for my accelerate cash + points stay.
300 welcome amenity points.

I assume it's just straight cash that would yield a Fri/Sat night stay for the purpose of completing another accelerate task?
db1234db1234 likes this.

Last edited by xenole; May 28, 2019 at 12:29 pm
Old May 28, 2019, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
This is a mixed bag, but actually not a bad list compared to previous offerings.

HI Durban Umhlanga is a decent property at 5k and one that I would happily snap up a week or two in if it were in the right season for me.

HI Schindellegi Zürichsee is a good deal at 10k. I won't bother, because it's only an hour and a half down the road, but I would say it's the best deal of the European properties on the list.

The one I am seriously considering is a few days in Leipzig. Yes, it's a cheap property. But at 5k, it'll a pleasant weekend away.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by travelbarefeet
How did you know it was going to be on the list?
Like me booking IC MSP minutes before the list was posted, it was wishful thinking in that I searched for Minneapolis hotels (or Houston here) and a point break came up.

This method works well if you have preexisting travel plans as you likely already did the research beforehand and know what the hotels regular redemption rate is plus you’re ready to act quickly and pull the booking trigger so to speak.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by RAPC
Not sure if it is an opening offer, or if it is going to be on the PB list, but the Crowne Plaza London - Albert Embankment is on for 15k. That is a bargain, especially for the summer months.
Something I could actually use - alas no rooms with points on my date (which I assume had been the case before the points breaks were in play).
Old May 28, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
The Florida offerings are kinda nice! Booked a 5 night stay at CP Melbourne
Old May 28, 2019, 11:21 am

5k for Montevideo is a great deal to visit the most progressive country in South America (possibly all the Americas)
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Leipzig sounds a really good deal for only 5,000. And I'd love to go to Uruguay, but it's not in my plans at the moment.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Need to be in Hamburg so the Hafencity offer is great - the only bad thing is parking.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by garkman
5k for Montevideo is a great deal to visit the most progressive country in South America (possibly all the Americas)
There is no way around it - Uruguay is not a cheap country for travellers. In fact, it's probably the most expensive place in South America, especially should you choose to take a trip here during the peaks months of January and February.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

There is no way around it - Uruguay is not a cheap country for travellers. In fact, it's probably the most expensive place in South America, especially should you choose to take a trip here during the peaks months of January and February.
Depends on how you define cheap, I guess. Paying under $25 for a hotel in the very walkable city center is a good start. Getting 22% VAT automatically refunded when using a foreign-based credit card at restaurants is a huge bonus too. Take a cheap ferry to Buenos Aires to make a great 2-country trip for cheap.
mlhall likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Concerto
Leipzig sounds a really good deal for only 5,000. And I'd love to go to Uruguay, but it's not in my plans at the moment.
Leipzig looks like a great deal, but the location only seems practical if you have a car (which I do).
Old May 28, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Leipzig looks like a great deal, but the location only seems practical if you have a car (which I do).
And I don't. Thanks for letting me know! What about the Zürich option? Seems to be quite a long way out in the hills south of the lake. Should be reachable by public transport, knowing Switzerland. I was thinking of taking a night there just to recover from the work I've had recently, 13 hour days including Sundays.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:41 pm

CP Minsk is a great deal at 10K pts. Wish I had plans to visit there during the summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.