Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2018 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview

2018 discussion thread
Print Wikipost

2019 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:18 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:31 am
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
It's the Crowne Plaza Manchester - Oxford Road. Not in Oxford.
Just a word of warning if looking to stay there. There is no car parking on site. You are directed to the NCP car park on Booth Street West (not cheap either).

However, when I stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago, at least half a dozen guests reported their cars had been broken into overnight. Speaking with the lady on reception she stated this was not an unusual occurrance either.

BM
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
Just a word of warning if looking to stay there. There is no car parking on site. You are directed to the NCP car park on Booth Street West (not cheap either).

However, when I stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago, at least half a dozen guests reported their cars had been broken into overnight. Speaking with the lady on reception she stated this was not an unusual occurrance either.

BM
Sounds like a real gem!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:56 am

Is pointbreaks the same as advance purchase?

i read somewhere the pointbreaks reservation is like an advance purchase. If cancel or change is needed, no points will be returned to account, is that correct?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by lililolo
i read somewhere the pointbreaks reservation is like an advance purchase. If cancel or change is needed, no points will be returned to account, is that correct?
not true....
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:07 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Keyser
not true....
Can be true if their best flex has the same conditions, which can happen, who would have thought it, a flexible rate that is not err flexible?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Philodemus
Loyalty Lobby reports that IHG has released a preview list of four hotels which will be on the next Pointbreaks list. They are:https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/02/22/...ruary-25-2019/
Oh no, I guess that means the 5k/10k list will be trash (if there are even any properties on it) since they aren't releasing any info about them.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I'm afraid that is probably going to be the case. But I hope for a reasonably good choice of European properties.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by markis10
Can be true if their best flex has the same conditions, which can happen, who would have thought it, a flexible rate that is not err flexible?
anything is possible....but in this instance, so far i have never come across a pointsbreaks reservation that has been non-refundable....they follow the same rules as an average points reservation that can typically be cancelled without a penalty a day or two or three days before the check-in date....
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:50 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Keyser
..they follow the same rules as an average points reservation that can typically be cancelled without a penalty a day or two or three days before the check-in date....
Award bookings usually mirror best flex conditions, which was my point, sometimes with IHG flex is not so flex, and I have seen non refundable point breaks, in that case it was a rare pointbreaks release for a hotel in their peak season, where the rev par manager knew that would get good $$$ for offering rewards nights.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:07 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:31 am
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Award bookings usually mirror best flex conditions, which was my point, sometimes with IHG flex is not so flex, and I have seen non refundable point breaks, in that case it was a rare pointbreaks release for a hotel in their peak season, where the rev par manager knew that would get good $$$ for offering rewards nights.
dates during special events can often lead to different booking terms than the norm....i've come across non-refundable award bookings at other hotel chains as well....but that was not what the op asked....they wanted to know if all pointbreak reservations were non-refundable....the answer is that they aren't....
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mster
I've seen IHG hotels require cancellation as far as 2-4 weeks prior on flexible / award bookings which include peak travel dates. So yes flexible booking types can definitely be non-refundable *if* you book after the cancellation deadline for the dates involved has passed.
if you book after the cancellation deadline then every booking is non-refundable & no longer 'flexible'....doesn't matter if its a pointsbreak, revenue or normal award booking....that was not the question the op asked....they wanted to know if every pointsbreak booking is a non-refundable booking....the answer to that is 'no'....they work like a normal award booking which typically have a one of two day prior cancellation policy....exceptions will always be there just like there are with certain dates & bookings with pretty much every hotel chain....
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:10 am
Suspended

I would completely rule out that hotels have any say over award night inventory in the short run. Over short time horizons, the compensation a hotel receives from IHG for alternative award inventories is essentially known. If you then let the hotel decide how much award inventory to release, you'd be making the hotel a monopolist. It would maximize its rent at the great cost of IHG. IHG would never allow that.

I assume hotels and IHG agree over award inventory as well as the compensation schedule far out in advance. The rev par manager then cannot change the award inventory unilaterally (he'd require IHG's explicit agreement).
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by ryanp
I would completely rule out that hotels have any say over award night inventory in the short run. Over short time horizons, the compensation a hotel receives from IHG for alternative award inventories is essentially known. If you then let the hotel decide how much award inventory to release, you'd be making the hotel a monopolist. It would maximize its rent at the great cost of IHG. IHG would never allow that.

I assume hotels and IHG agree over award inventory as well as the compensation schedule far out in advance. The rev par manager then cannot change the award inventory unilaterally (he'd require IHG's explicit agreement).
Don't make these assumptions. IHG's enforcement mechanism is very weak. Check out this hotel
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...cw.ma.ul.ki.va

Or this one
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...cw.ma.ul.ki.va

You won't find any availability for point redemption all the way out to eternity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.