Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2018 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview

2018 discussion thread
Print Wikipost

2019 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I can't believe I even bothered to open my phone for this. Good luck guys, I'm going back to my beer.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Skink
I'm still seeing the old list.
Frankly, you're better off.
redreeper, ALGU, 336 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:14 am

Crowne Plaza Toulouse looks like one of the few interesting hotels. List overall is bad.

Programs: *A
HIX Inverness was actually on my travel list so that's a decent option for 15k.5k options are a joke though

Programs: AS,UA
The Intercontinental MSP Airport is a good property for 15,000

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by Skink
I'm still seeing the old list.
I think you'll find that the 5k list just looks an awful lot like the dreadful stragglers from the last list but are infact the new list :-(
Skink likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
I just happened to be travelling to Cleveland later this week, and the Beachwood INDIGO for 10,000 point worked out well. Cash price for the same room is $109+tax.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:20 am

Crowne Plaza Beirut is good at 10k. Spent 10 days there when it was 5k back in the day, they gave lounge access at a Plat, which had decent evening snacks and a several hours of free drinks.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Never mind :-(
If you happen to already be planning a stay at one of these hotels - result !!

I remember (the good old days !) whereby this list would actually inspire me to take a trip or three I hadn't been planning on. you

Now if only Qatar were doing one of their old sub 1k biz flights to Thailand I could make use of those two hotels !
Allegedly the IC is in the un-seedy part of town.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by medellinfein
Crowne Plaza Toulouse looks like one of the few interesting hotels. List overall is bad.
At least a CP will usually give a Spire Elite member lounge access on a reward stay. Very little chance at an IC anymore :-(
medellinfein likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:34 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:31 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:35 am

I'm going to Beijing in the window and while I figured it wasn't centrally located, I thought I would look at that HIX that is on the 5k list.

Those are some pictures! I don't have time to research now, but is it next door to a refinery or something? I like how they have those photos are front and center. It made me laugh.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR PLAT
i booked the IC Pattaya talked to the reservation girl at the IC and for 1500 baht per night can upgrade to pool terrace with lounge benefits. not really excited about pattaya been there alot for work but never been to this property
Skink likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Enjoy the Alps by the way - whereabouts are you? I know I'm the only one in my local Bierstbl in Bregenz watching the IHG page!
I was up doing a hiking trail on the snow at Anzre, which was surprisingly good (I thought it was going to be heavy going and tiring, anything but). The people in the postbus were mostly locals, one or two Swiss skiers and a handful of schoolchildren. Now I am home, I have just fired up the computer to have a look at Pointbreaks, but wrote this post first...
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Never mind :-(
If you happen to already be planning a stay at one of these hotels - result !!

I remember (the good old days !) whereby this list would actually inspire me to take a trip or three I hadn't been planning on. you

Now if only Qatar were doing one of their old sub 1k biz flights to Thailand I could make use of those two hotels !
Allegedly the IC is in the un-seedy part of town.
You must be thinking back at least a decade, when the economy nearly collapse... Also, back then, many promotion codes stacked, so it was possible to get thousands of points per hotel stay... and this was before the crazed credit card churning practices. Back then, I valued 5000 points at almost $50. Today, I think it is barely worth $25.

Anyway, there are some gems on the new list. I'm not an IHG apologist, but quite frankly, for years, I think people are complaining for the sake of complaining. Who cares if the IC in London or Paris is on the PB list if I can't go there? How many people will spend hundreds (if not more) of dollars to plan a trip to save a measly few hundreds (if not less) on a point breaker? I'm sure there are some, but the people with that freedom AND ability to make a trip worthwhile (considering value of time, cost of transportation, and actually wanting to visit the city/location) is truly rare.

Also, the 'good hotels' on the PB list generally get booked within minutes if not seconds of going live. This has been the case for at least half a decade.

I do a lot of personal travels, and generally enjoy 1 - 3 PB stays per year, mostly on road trips in America. I do notice the pickings are getting slimmer in general.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.