Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki was copied from 2018 thread
Created WIKI Mar2017 purely to add the "new" IHG PB List URL as I can't find by screen navigation since IHG changed the reservation screens etc, and the old url if saved no longer works either.

Just got fed up trying to find , much easier to store in wiki, hope this helps others

Pointbeaks changed the amount of points needed: This is discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1890423-point-breaks-now-5k-10-15k.html

This thread is about the discussion about the locations and the actual list, please use the thread above for discussions about the increased number of points needed for pointbreak redemptions.

SCUBACCR

Use this URL for "Live" PB Listing:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks.html

The PREVIEW list usually appears on IHG's blog first
https://blog.ihg.com/ihg-rewards-club-pointbreaks-preview

2018 discussion thread
Print Wikipost

2019 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ryanp
I would completely rule out that hotels have any say over award night inventory in the short run. Over short time horizons, the compensation a hotel receives from IHG for alternative award inventories is essentially known. If you then let the hotel decide how much award inventory to release, you'd be making the hotel a monopolist. It would maximize its rent at the great cost of IHG. IHG would never allow that.

I assume hotels and IHG agree over award inventory as well as the compensation schedule far out in advance. The rev par manager then cannot change the award inventory unilaterally (he'd require IHG's explicit agreement).
That is true. But that is not to say hotel has no authority over this. The said hotel can close off availability of standard room (or lowest category of rooms) by either showing fully booked, or out of order, to deter the requirement of award inventory. IHG only require the award availability when the standard rooms are still available.
FlyerTalker78341 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by chongcao
That is true. But that is not to say hotel has no authority over this. The said hotel can close off availability of standard room (or lowest category of rooms) by either showing fully booked, or out of order, to deter the requirement of award inventory. IHG only require the award availability when the standard rooms are still available.
So basically, all a property has to do to completely block award availability is to categorise only a few of their rooms as standard, then designate the vast majority of their rooms in a very slightly higher category for an extra $2, then mark the "standard" ones as "out of order" until they hit, say, 90% occupancy and need to sell them?
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
So basically, all a property has to do to completely block award availability is to categorise only a few of their rooms as standard, then designate the vast majority of their rooms in a very slightly higher category for an extra $2, then mark the "standard" ones as "out of order" until they hit, say, 90% occupancy and need to sell them?
That is basically correct. For example, one HIX has King bed and 2 Double Bed. Both in fact are standard room. But the hotel charge $1 more in 2 double beds, then only the King is considered standard or lowest priced rooms. So you see award availability in King but not 2 double beds. Then one HI in Asia could classify 2 floors of twin rooms as standard and the rest of 20 floors as Deluxe, Special View, Superior, High Floor, Business and Executive, although they charge the same room rate between Twin and Deluxe, only the twin rooms show availability in award as Standard.

Whether they put OOO in the room status to wait for 95% magic number or not, that is another story. And no one can prove that. It is only in theory, hotels can get away with that, especially if the hotel only has 75 rooms and only a handful among them are lowest category rooms.

Of course only very very extraordinary cases a rouge hotel would do that, very cowardly. But you occasionally come across a hotel either under Hilton or IHG choose the path for whatever reason on selected occasions (in re-classify the room category, not Out of Order trick, the latter can not be proved unless you can access on property management system).

Nevertheless, another trick hotel can take is to create a potential tour group blocks or a potential meeting delegation blocks or local travel agent blocks so that all standard rooms get blocked until near the time to be released (normally 30days, 21 days of 14 days group block release, take your pick.). But I doubt hotel would intentionally do that, or try this trick more than once per year. Otherwise the sale manager would have a lot to answer for.

To summarise, there are many tricks for hotel to block the standard or lowest priced rooms in order to block award availability. I am not suggesting any hotel is doing all the tricks I mentioned. I am just trying to say that there is always some ways for hotel to manoeuvre the contractual requirement.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:14 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryanp
I would completely rule out that hotels have any say over award night inventory in the short run. Over short time horizons, the compensation a hotel receives from IHG for alternative award inventories is essentially known. If you then let the hotel decide how much award inventory to release, you'd be making the hotel a monopolist. It would maximize its rent at the great cost of IHG. IHG would never allow that.

I assume hotels and IHG agree over award inventory as well as the compensation schedule far out in advance. The rev par manager then cannot change the award inventory unilaterally (he'd require IHG's explicit agreement).
You are clearly not across how IHG manage rewards and how much flexibility hotels have. Essentially hotels are set a minimum, not a maximum number of nights they can offer, and its well known that the smarter REVPAR managers open up rewards nights when their occupancy approaches 100%, as exampled by many of the Sydney hotels at New Years Eve and on a regular basis by HI Singapore who offer Suites at normal room rates when they are close to full. The compensation for rewards nights is based on two things - rack rate and occupancy.

Pointsbreaks are available if reward nights are available.
Hotel has no control over the number of points breaks that are allocated to the property, but do have control over reward nights they can offer, from memory the Silom property quickly reduced availability when they were put on pointsbreaks IIRC

REVPAR managers are their to maximise the rent, its their job! Let me give you an example:

Intercontinental Sydney have award nights for a stay Dec 30 2019 until Jan 2, cost is 195000 points or AUD $1127 per night, and note using points they are non refundable, just as best flex is not refundable. If they were put on the end of year points breaks list, those points breaks would also be non refundable.

Last edited by markis10; Feb 24, 2019 at 6:22 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Do they go live at 5pm today in the UK ?

12:00 Monday, Eastern Time (ET) is 17:00 Monday, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Until when is this list good?? Is it 2 months again or 3?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Do they go live at 5pm today in the UK ?

12:00 Monday, Eastern Time (ET) is 17:00 Monday, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
That is generally their MO.
12:00 Eastern, 17:00 UK, 18:00 in most of Europe.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:29 am

Any preview list out there?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: ICH Plt Royal Amb, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Plat, HHons,
H

Originally Posted by travelbarefeet
Any preview list out there?
only the 4 mentioned earlier
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Concerto
I'm afraid that is probably going to be the case. But I hope for a reasonably good choice of European properties.
I hope for this too. At a bit of a loose end for a couple of weeks in late March and early April and looking for something within a day's drive of Bregenz, Austria (which covers a good chunk of Europe).
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:03 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:31 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: AS,UA
I hope for this too. At a bit of a loose end for a couple of weeks in late March and early April and looking for something within a day's drive of Bregenz, Austria (which covers a good chunk of Europe).
The Holiday Inn in Villach Austria (5 Hour Drive) is a great property and its only 15k a night normally, right in the city center. We went this past year and they had some kind of symphony playing on the river and we could see it from our room
Brendan and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
You could even get a train Super Sparpreis like I did last week from Switzerland to Duisburg - only cost 14 Euros!

I must be the only person winding over the Alps right now in a yellow Swiss postbus eagerly looking at Pointbreaks! Nobody else would understand the nuttiness of it! List will probably go live while I'm in the train later.
Brendan, redreeper and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lebowski2222
The Holiday Inn in Villach Austria (5 Hour Drive) is a great property and its only 15k a night normally, right in the city center. We went this past year and they had some kind of symphony playing on the river and we could see it from our room
Of course! I had forgotten about Villach. I stayed there a few years back on a drive down to Croatia. A very decent property and a handy overnight stop after a cheeky early finish on a Friday! There is a decent restaurant and a snug little Bierstübl downstairs if I remember right. Thanks for the reminder.

Originally Posted by Concerto
You could even get a train Super Sparpreis like I did last week from Switzerland to Duisburg - only cost 14 Euros!

I must be the only person winding over the Alps right now in a yellow Swiss postbus eagerly looking at Pointbreaks! Nobody else would understand the nuttiness of it! List will probably go live while I'm in the train later.
Ha! Yes, our hobby is somewhat of a niche one! I've given up trying to get friends involved. Previously they just thought I was nuts - now they know I am!
redreeper likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That's pretty much my experience. For most there is far too much hassle and yroutro involved, so they prefer the easier route of travel packages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.