Wiki Posts
Search

How does IHG release reward nights?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Delta Plat
How does IHG release reward nights?

Trying to book an award night at the IC Danang (Vietnam). Their award availability is almost non-existent. Does anyone know how these work? Do they just release them all at once at a certain time (which means if I cannot find availability now I would unlikely get it in the future due to the hotel's popularity), or does the hotel release them at will at random time (which means I should keep checking)?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:59 pm

That particular hotel is a tough one. For any other low in-demand hotel, you can book as soon as the reservation calendar opens up 50 weeks in advance or something like that. The new day usually starts at midnight local time. I’ve booked a few hot spots by waiting until midnight and booking right away. You have to book one night at a time this way though.

Actually, what are your dates? I did a few random reward night searches later next year and they were coming up as available.

The Crowne Plaza there is another story though. Booked solid even for paid reservations. Been like that for years.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

I am looking at late January, so maybe that's why. But I am curious how you found availability, since when I pull up their schedule, everyday got crossed out for like a year.l
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:12 pm

Yeah, I know what you’re going thru. I’m not techie enough to explain it. Maybe clear your cache or restart or something. Sometimes it gives no reward availability and when you click on other available dates, the whole year is blocked out. But restart or clear cookies or do something like that and maybe you’ll see availability.

i arbitrarily looked at Jan 15/19 and got reward night availability for 70k.

edit. That calendar being blocked out is what’s happened for me at other hotels, not just this one.

Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Ah this is weird! I can see 01/15 now, if I search specifically for it. The month calendar is still fully crossed out. Can you see if 01/20 is available?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:14 pm

I don’t see availability for Jan 20th or anything +/- 3 days of it. When the link comes up to see the availability calendar, the entire month is blocked out. Yet you can still book the 15th. Weird.

You should try contacting IHG Customer Service to see if they can book it on their end.

Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for checking! I am seeing the same thing! I contacted IHG support and they knew less than me about the issue )
Also found out that in order for our friends, who stay nearby, to come in and have breakfast with us, they will have to pay $45/person. No, that's not the price of breakfast (which is $35/person, not too bad), but just the "entrance fee" to the hotel. Maybe I don't stay at hotels often enough, but this is hillariously unfriendly... Big attractions in Europe don't even cost this much. The wife is annoyed and wants me to look elsewhere )
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
The problem with booking the high-end resorts with IHG is demand gets scooped up too fast because the system is broken. It won't change until these two things change.

1.) IHG credit card holders: This one is being addressed. Anyone can just come off the street, without any stays, and stay at a prime IHG property for free. This kills reward night availability.

2.) The top points rate is far too low. 70,000 points for that room is a "steal" in terms of valuation for IHG points. Combine that with the 4th night free, and it makes complete sense to save up your points for these stays, vs paying cash. Using points should not offer you a "Discount" it should be a way that you're cashing in on what you earned, to not have to spend money out of pocket.

This hotel should realistically not be under 100,000 points per night. Even that is generous.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Super Mario
The problem with booking the high-end resorts with IHG is demand gets scooped up too fast because the system is broken. It won't change until these two things change.

1.) IHG credit card holders: This one is being addressed. Anyone can just come off the street, without any stays, and stay at a prime IHG property for free. This kills reward night availability.

2.) The top points rate is far too low. 70,000 points for that room is a "steal" in terms of valuation for IHG points. Combine that with the 4th night free, and it makes complete sense to save up your points for these stays, vs paying cash. Using points should not offer you a "Discount" it should be a way that you're cashing in on what you earned, to not have to spend money out of pocket.

This hotel should realistically not be under 100,000 points per night. Even that is generous.
How is IHG addressing #1? Just curious as to what’s changing.

Please don’t advocate for higher redemption levels! It wasn’t long ago when that IC would have been 40,000 points. I did break down however, and booked IC Wonderland in shanghai for 70k. That’s the most 1-night redemption I’ve made but that one has a cash redemption rate of about $750usd. But for 70k, I can stay in some small US cities for a week. I think a reseller is scooping up these reward nights. Almost on autobot since the nights are taken before it even hits the open market.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by db1234db1234

How is IHG addressing #1? Just curious as to what’s changing.

Please don’t advocate for higher redemption levels! It wasn’t long ago when that IC would have been 40,000 points. I did break down however, and booked IC Wonderland in shanghai for 70k. That’s the most 1-night redemption I’ve made but that one has a cash redemption rate of about $750usd. But for 70k, I can stay in some small US cities for a week. I think a reseller is scooping up these reward nights. Almost on autobot since the nights are taken before it even hits the open market.
#1 is changing because the free night has a 40,000 point cap. Instead of a couple both signing up for the card for two free nights in Bora Bora, they can no longer do that. Whenever someone talks about poor reward night availability with IHG, they are almost always talking about the premium rooms. Everything else generally has great availability.

Obviously, I would rather redeem rooms for less points, but what else is the fix? Trying to book some of these rooms is a nightmare. Valuations being lopsided, favoring the expensive rooms is a dumb model.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Super Mario

Well, we can spin this in any way we want. Others can also say that because IHG portfolio is so crappy, other than the few IC properties, the rest are just not worth considering compared to other chains. They are using the aspirational IC properties to prop up the valuation of their chase cards, otherwise people would not bother with their cards. They either make money via selling the rooms cash, attracting loyal customers, or via credit card transaction / annual fees. I am sure in their calculation, this is worth it, that's why they have the system the way it is. In that way, the system isn't really broken for IHG.
On top of that, scarcity could be real, or artificial. How does one know how many room do they release per property per day for reward nights? If they give out one room per day for this property (hypothetical), and that's it, then go blame them, not the people who book the rooms. I suspect this property is doing just that, as suspiciously, there is exactly one room available in the few days I manage to catch award availability.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
individual properties will open up 5% of their total inventory for bookings under certain discounted rates, that includes employee rates and reward nights and of course complimentary stays for eg gift voucher etc, also if it reaches a certain occupancy they will have the right to black out also.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It's simple, don't use the calendar function. Never worked. You need to search for the specific dates. Still tough at this property, but Jan is low seasons.

The CP in Danang is not even open for revenue bookings. It is 100% catering to Chinese tour groups and even if one could get a room there, I wouldn't take it. IHG should just remove that property from the list.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:49 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond

Originally Posted by manucanuck
individual properties will open up 5% of their total inventory for bookings under certain discounted rates.... also if it reaches a certain occupancy they will have the right to black out also.
Smart REVPAR managers know when they reach certain occupancy levels it’s actually better to open up reward nights, ie HI Singapore will often open club room/suites to points at busy times

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.