Charged full cash price for award stay

Old Dec 19, 18, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG
Charged full cash price for award stay

My credit card was charged a couple hundred dollars for an award stay at a Crowne Plaza a day after check-out, where I should have had zero charges. The hotel claimed it was an authorization that would fall off 48 hours later. Their claim was a few weeks after my stay, and it has not be refunded a week later. It is an actual charge, not just an authorization. Calling IHG they sound helpful, but all they do is contact the hotel with no results. I've reached out to both the hotel and IHG multiple times over the course of a few weeks. The hotel stopped respond to both me and apparently the IHG folks.

So, my question is, will I face any repercussions from IHG for initiating a charge back? I believe I've tried everything I could, and I'd rather not need to actually pay this amount to the credit card company since the bill is closing soon. Being banned by IHG is my primary concern, seems like companies will do that to their customers even for legitimate reasons for charge backs.
Old Dec 19, 18, 2:45 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
sounds legit chargeback, you had award night, you stayed, were incorrectly billed as either paid night or noshow, and despite contacting hotel the payment not yet refunded.
Old Dec 19, 18, 3:14 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post
sounds legit chargeback, you had award night, you stayed, were incorrectly billed as either paid night or noshow, and despite contacting hotel the payment not yet refunded.
Email the property titled "Chargeback re double billing" giving them 24 hours to refund it before you'll chargeback. Amazing how "Chargeback" in the title gets the attention of slothful hoteliers
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Dec 19, 18, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by harryhv View Post
Email the property titled "Chargeback re double billing" giving them 24 hours to refund it before you'll chargeback. Amazing how "Chargeback" in the title gets the attention of slothful hoteliers
Yes, the proper thing to do per the credit card company policies is to write such an email. Email as above stating specifically that if you do not receive confirmation of a refund within twenty four hours you will dispute the charge. Having that email on record makes it easier to deal with the credit card company.

Also, of course save confirmation emails, or screenshots of your account showing that the stay was an award reservation.
Old Dec 19, 18, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG
Thanks for the input. I've sent out another email to the hotel that will hopefully get their attention as I haven't mentioned doing a chargeback yet. Except over the phone earlier today, but that was to the regular IHG customer service who couldn't even reach the hotel themselves.

Not too worried about getting my money back, should be pretty clear cut from the credit card companies perspective. Just would rather not have a blemish on my IHG record, even if it wasn't my fault at all.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: