About 10k short for spire - any ideas?

Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
About 10k short for spire - any ideas?

I'm running about 10k short for spire qualification this year after I had a few trips cancel during the year

The Virgin Atlantic transfer path seems closed according to the interwebs. Is there any other qualification path / idea out there? I could mattress run for a night or two, but probably not enough to make up the difference. I have the older credit card so I could put some money on it, but $10k of spend doesn't seem worthwhile - and it would probably post in the following calendar year due to my billing cycle.

Thanks in advance for some ideas!
Sisyphus1carus likes this.

Last edited by leland; Dec 10, 2018 at 8:13 pm Reason: typos...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by leland
I'm running about 10k short for spire qualification this year after I had a few trips cancel during the year

The Virgin Atlantic transfer path seems closed according to the interwebs. Is there any other qualification path / idea out there? I could mattress run for a night or two, but probably not enough to make up the difference. I have the older credit card so I could put some money on it, but $10k of spend doesn't seem worthwhile - and it would probably post in the following calendar year due to my billing cycle.

Thanks in advance for some ideas!
You're in Seattle? Two mattress runs at Seattle hotels that offer the 5K bonus package would more than do it. Holiday Inn Express Airport can be had for $129 + tax this weekend.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Stuck on a remote island until 30th Dec....
Anyone aware of a tame IHG property which will credit you the points for a stay even if you are an "accidental" no-show ?!

PMs welcome.
leland likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Cool. That could do it for me. Of course I'm out of town this weekend...Will check dates when I'm around to see if I have options. Now to decide how much Spire is worth to me? The 25k points at 0.3cpp is $75 in value. That's not altogether worth it. If I earn another 25k points from incremental bonus during the year that's bringing me closer to $150. Still not really adding up unless I change my valuation rate... and if I decide this has entertainment value versus hassle factor I do better still

Also turns out I'm about 13k points away as my most recent stay not as lucrative as I thought, and the points were counted in Euros, not dollars...Put that aside does anyone know if Chase UR counts for elite? That would be a good way to get that last 2-3k.

Last edited by leland; Dec 11, 2018 at 12:43 am
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
I read somewhere that Chase UR still count while Virgin don't.
Definitely do some googling on that as it might be your way to Spire :-)
leland likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by leland
Cool. That could do it for me. Of course I'm out of town this weekend...Will check dates when I'm around to see if I have options. Now to decide how much Spire is worth to me? The 25k points at 0.3cpp is $75 in value. That's not altogether worth it. If I earn another 25k points from incremental bonus during the year that's bringing me closer to $150. Still not really adding up unless I change my valuation rate... and if I decide this has entertainment value versus hassle factor I do better still
IHG is devaluing faster than Venezuela, but 0.3 cents is pretty low... There are a lot of 70k hotels costing more than $210 per night all-in.

IIRC existing Spires signing up for Ambassador can often have their status extended indefinitely without actually meeting the requirements. YMMV.
leland and Sisyphus1carus like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Personally, I don't think Spire is worth chasing too hard. Very few guaranteed benefits other than point boosts. If you want to chase, the 5000 bonus point idea above is probably the most efficient. plan
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jtc246
Personally, I don't think Spire is worth chasing too hard. Very few guaranteed benefits other than point boosts. If you want to chase, the 5000 bonus point idea above is probably the most efficient. plan
Agreed - I was doing it mainly for the points boost.

I'll do a test 1k transfer from UR to see what happens. Even though not optimal for a few final points to push over the top that would be worth the return for me.

My first stay of the new year is at an IC for a week so maybe I'd go for Ambassador, but the YMMV on the extension and the 25k points bonus makes that less appealing to me. That said it could be worth a flyer on it as if it works I'd probably make back a good portion of the points via Spire bonuses.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Stuck on a remote island until 30th Dec....
Anyone aware of a tame IHG property which will credit you the points for a stay even if you are an "accidental" no-show ?!

PMs welcome.
Book a room in your name somewhere, for 2 people and make sure that you include your friend's name. Let the friend check in before you.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
the 5k bonus points will not count towards qualifying points, thus no use.
I needed another 6k to become a Spire so i've picked up a flight from HKG to KIX, stayed in IC Osaka for 2 nights, hello to Spire Elite.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:37 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Bonus point stays up to 5,000 points ARE qualifying for status purposes. I struggle with Spire each year and always look for bargain point bonuses every time I book. This year I made Spire by 600 points only, thanks in part to 14,000 points from bonus point packages tacked onto a few flexible rate stays.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:38 pm

That's impossible... I stayed in HIE in Hk a week ago under a 3K bonus per nighty, my qualifying point for that 2 nights stay was only 4K ish. I'm so gonna email ihg and find out what happened
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by manucanuck
That's impossible... I stayed in HIE in Hk a week ago under a 3K bonus per nighty, my qualifying point for that 2 nights stay was only 4K ish. I'm so gonna email ihg and find out what happened
Not at all impossible, at least in the US and Europe. I do the same as BrightlyBob and use the 5K buyups to help me reach Spire if it looks like I'm going to be coming up short in a given year. Those 5K points (or less) absolutely do count toward Spire.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
5k bonus points count for sure, IF bought from IHG. Sometimes hotels have their own bonus specials, those usually won't count.

https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/de...points-package
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by bob12403
Not at all impossible, at least in the US and Europe. I do the same as BrightlyBob and use the 5K buyups to help me reach Spire if it looks like I'm going to be coming up short in a given year. Those 5K points (or less) absolutely do count toward Spire.
Ha thanks guys, i emailed IHG and they said it was a system error and adjusted it for me...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.