Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerTalker688786
Ambassador programme will change on 1st February 2019. This will start with Royal Ambassador's benefits. Then, all other Ambassador will have new benefits from 1st March 2019.

For Royal Ambassadors, the new benefits starts from 1st FEB 2019 will be:
  1. EARLY CHECK-IN from 10AM (instead of 8AM)
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY [CONFIRMED AS IN GREATER CHINA REGION ONLY, On 1st March, it seems IHG quietly made a U-turn again, now this benefit only APPLIES TO IC HOTELS IN MAINLAND CHINA ONLY, Hong Kong IC hotels are excluded on the last minute U-turn.]
  3. UP TO TWO COMPLIMENTARY FULL BREAKFASTS PER DAY IF THERE IS NO CLUB LOUNGE
  4. UPTO 50USD/200RMB/400HKD MINIBAR CREDIT PER DAY (200USD/800RMB/1600HKD PER STAY MAX)
  5. WAIVED DESTINATION/AMENITY FEES
  6. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  7. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE (See below)
  8. [Officially Added Benefits] FREE NIGHTS AT AN IHG PROPERTY (capped at 70K points value)
  9. [Officially Added Benefits] HERTZ GOLD PLUS REWARDS PRESIDENTS' CIRCLE MEMBERSHIP

For all other Ambassadors, the new benefit starts on 1st MARCH 2019:
  1. GUARANTEED PLATINUM ELITE STATUS IN IHG REWARDS CLUB
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  3. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  4. WELCOME FRUIT PLATTER (instead of welcome fruits and gifts) <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  5. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR STAYS IN GREATER CHINA ONLY:
• One complimentary breakfast every night you stay
• 15% discount on restaurants and bars

AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GURANTEE work as bellow:
  1. Guaranteed Room Upgrade: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  2. 16:00 (4p.m.) Late Check-out: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  3. New Club InterContinental Lounge Access or alternative Club experience: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit of USD100 per night, not exceeding the Club InterContinental upgrade supplement value, applies to Royal Ambassador only.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Ambassador from 1st March 2019 (now confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Changes to Ambassador from 1st March 2019 (now confirmed)

Ambassador programme will change on 1st February 2019. This will start with Royal Ambassador's benefits. Then, all other Ambassador will have new benefits from 1st March 2019. Below is the information I got hold of on December 9th, a training material from a Chinese IC hotel (there are 46 of them so do not attempt to guess which one...lol). I have typed every word I saw from the document in the wiki, it is as below:

For Royal Ambassadors, the new benefits starts from 1st FEB 2019 will be:
  1. EARLY CHECK-IN from 10AM (instead of 8AM)
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY
  3. UP TO TWO COMPLIMENTARY FULL BREAKFASTS PER DAY IF THERE IS NO CLUB LOUNGE
  4. UPTO 50USD/200RMB/400HKD MINIBAR CREDIT PER DAY (200USD/800RMB/1600HKD PER STAY MAX)
  5. WAIVED DESTINATION/AMENITY FEES
  6. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  7. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE (See below)
For all other Ambassadors, the new benefit starts on 1st MARCH 2019:
  1. GUARANTEED PLATINUM ELITE STATUS IN IHG REWARDS CLUB
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY
  3. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  4. WELCOME FRUIT PLATTER (instead of welcome fruits and gifts)
  5. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE
AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GURANTEE work as bellow:
  1. Guaranteed Room Upgrade: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  2. 16:00 (4p.m.) Late Check-out: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  3. New Club InterContinental Lounge Access or alternative Club experience: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit of USD100 per night, not exceeding the Club InterContinental upgrade supplement value, applies to Royal Ambassador only.
However, IHG updated their website on 17th December (ahead of schedule), and we sadly learned that breakfast will be offered in Greater China InterContinental Hotels only (that include Hong Kong for people travelling there). All other IC hotels around the world will be offered US$20 food and beverage credit PER STAY (very mean!!!).

ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR STAYS IN GREATER CHINA ONLY:
• One complimentary breakfast every night you stay
• 15% discount on restaurants and bars
So far only the Ambassador new benefit part is confirmed. The full T&C had not been published yet. Please wait and see. And please kindly discuss the new benefit only.

Last edited by FlyerTalker688786; Dec 18, 2018 at 3:06 am Reason: Add information
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by chongcao
Ambassador programme will change on 1st March 2019. Some changes are categorised as below:

Good news:
- One free breakfast for all Ambassador members staying in Intercontinental
- Guaranteed Platinum membership when acquire Ambassador membership
- Complimentary weekend voucher will be delivered via E-certificate rather than paper, but no date for this new benefit yet

Some bad news
- Welcome fruit and Ambassador welcome gift will be changed to welcome fruit ONLY
- No more unlimited free mini bar for Royal Ambassador, but a credit of US$50 daily and a cap of USD$200 for the stay
- Earliest check in time is 10am, no longer 8am for RA

Some big changes, there is a new thing called Ambassador Benefit Guarantee:
- 4pm late check out is guaranteed for Ambassador members, otherwise a voucher of USD$50 or 10000 points will be given
- Room Upgrade Guarantee: if no upgrade, USD$50 credit or 10000 points will be given (More room categories at certain hotels, any one?)
- For RAs, if no Club Lounge access available, the member will give be given a USD$100 credit for F&B and Spa treatment PER NIGHT
- Also for RAs, if no Club Lounge available, member will get TWO free full breakfasts daily in hotel restaurant, that is on top of the $100 daily credit

Something extra for RAs:
No resort fees/destination fees/Amenity fees whatsoever it is called nowadays.

No reason to doubt what you say. But it all seems rather silly: you'd think they'd want to make the programme more attractive rather than antagonise members while creating more work and confrontation on the minibar front.
turner32 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
No reason to doubt what you say. But it all seems rather silly: you'd think they'd want to make the programme more attractive rather than antagonise members while creating more work and confrontation on the minibar front.
Almost feel like that the benefit is a combination of Kimpton and InterContinental. I guess they are preparing that at some stage Ambassador programme will be extended to Kimpton and Regent. This is my guess only though.
submonte likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Why only 1 free breakfast ?
If im with someone in the room i want 2 free breakfasts.
Also...is that 1 free breakfast every single day im in the hotel, or just 1 per stay ?
Tenplus401 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Why only 1 free breakfast ?
If im with someone in the room i want 2 free breakfasts.
Also...is that 1 free breakfast every single day im in the hotel, or just 1 per stay ?
it is ONE FREE breakfast PER NIGHT if the member is ambassador member in IC hotels.

I don't have information about 2 people stay in a room yet. Presumably if both are ambassadors then both should be given breakfast. Otherwise it is the hotels call. The new benefit only guarantee a free breakfast for ambassador member. I am sorry that I can not answer your question in this regards but I would assume the worst of IHG.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
Some big changes, there is a new thing called Ambassador Benefit Guarantee:
- For RAs, if no Club Lounge access available, the member will give be given a USD$100 credit for F&B and Spa treatment PER NIGHT
- Also for RAs, if no Club Lounge available, member will get TWO free full breakfasts daily in hotel restaurant, that is on top of the $100 daily credit
That is a big plus for properties without a lounge. Wow.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'd be happy with a free breakfast, even if it's just one. That's one of the main reasons I book at Hilton over IC's.
What concerns me is the "out" given for a lack of late-checkout or upgrade. What if properties start to decide that as a business practice it's easier/cheaper/better to give the "penalty" than to truly honor the benefit? I can see this going down a slippery slope.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
That info sounds a lot like what I was being told a few weeks ago by a club lounge manger apart from the breakfast part, I have to say I don't like the sound of the mini bar cap I spent 14 nights during my last stay in Hua Hin!!! also the if no upgrade part sounds like if the hotel is busy they will just try to avoid the upgrade especially if there is a big jump in price between booked room type and a nice suite.

Lots to think about in the new year.....
Raynyan likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
ok, as RA ,I now just need book the usd100-150 IC's that lack a lounge.
o usd50/day minibar credit
o usd100/day f+b/spa credit (so use for minibar above $50, lunch/dinner/drinks)
o foc restraunt breakfast ?? <== 50% of IC's on corp rate include breakfast anyway

BUT
usd200/stay minibar cap is useless on a longer stay, so every 5th night swap for 1night at eg nearby Marriott . I often stay 9nights, weekend/weekdays/weekend, won't happen under new minibar cap

I have an IC stay starting tomorrow, Tues 11th Dec at one of my regulars, so i guess i'll be asking too
Raynyan likes this.

Last edited by scubaccr; Dec 10, 2018 at 1:51 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:46 pm

Source ?
Raynyan likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Cielito_
Source ?
there is definitely some changes coming, but i think exactly what is still subject to talks+agreement between IHG and hotels, and already differences from earlier chatter, eg usd200 cap sounds more like it comes from hotels pushing back than IHG, IHG would otherwise implement 1st Jan (or 1st Feb) at stat of new RA year

Also i book clubrooms despite free lounge to get a suite, often even 1cat up is then well over usd50m plus club is 100usd or more than entry level room. I'd be disgusted with a 50usd credit, in lieu of expected suite upgrade over 50usd extra for a club room, and doesnt compensate for a zero upgrade
Raynyan likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by scubaccr
BUT
usd200/stay minibar cap is useless on a longer stay, so every 5th night swap for 1night at eg nearby Marriott . I often stay 9nights, weekend/weekdays/weekend, won't happen under new minibar cap
Me too. But my most biggest shock is 8AM early check-in will be changed to 10AM...

hclee01 likes this.

Last edited by Raynyan; Dec 10, 2018 at 2:28 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by scubaccr
there is definitely some changes coming, but i think exactly what is still subject to talks+agreement between IHG and hotels, and already differences from earlier chatter, eg usd200 cap sounds more like it comes from hotels pushing back than IHG, IHG would otherwise implement 1st Jan (or 1st Feb) at stat of new RA year

Also i book clubrooms despite free lounge to get a suite, often even 1cat up is then well over usd50m plus club is 100usd or more than entry level room. I'd be disgusted with a 50usd credit, in lieu of expected suite upgrade over 50usd extra for a club room, and doesnt compensate for a zero upgrade
I agree there has been a lot of chatter all very similar so definitely something is on the cards, I also think 50usd /10k points in lieu of an upgrade would be a disgrace, I don't always go for a room that gets me a high cat upgrade it depends on location and what my plans are but there are some locations where I really value the option of booking a room that gets me a nice suite especially for leisure on an extended stay.

I have a few nights at the O2 next week so will see what the chatter is like there but I think it will be much the same as I heard in Thailand a few weeks back.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Raynyan

Me too. But my most biggest shock is 8AM early check-in will be changed to 10AM...

will use 8am checkin tomorrow, already checked booked IC is not sold out for tonight/Monday.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cielito_
Source ?
Sorry I can not post nor trace the origin. But the information posted seemed to be internal training material. I would like to guess it is from someone who might be working for an owner of a Chinese IC branded hotel. That is all I can tell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.