Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerTalker688786
Ambassador programme will change on 1st February 2019. This will start with Royal Ambassador's benefits. Then, all other Ambassador will have new benefits from 1st March 2019.

For Royal Ambassadors, the new benefits starts from 1st FEB 2019 will be:
  1. EARLY CHECK-IN from 10AM (instead of 8AM)
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY [CONFIRMED AS IN GREATER CHINA REGION ONLY, On 1st March, it seems IHG quietly made a U-turn again, now this benefit only APPLIES TO IC HOTELS IN MAINLAND CHINA ONLY, Hong Kong IC hotels are excluded on the last minute U-turn.]
  3. UP TO TWO COMPLIMENTARY FULL BREAKFASTS PER DAY IF THERE IS NO CLUB LOUNGE
  4. UPTO 50USD/200RMB/400HKD MINIBAR CREDIT PER DAY (200USD/800RMB/1600HKD PER STAY MAX)
  5. WAIVED DESTINATION/AMENITY FEES
  6. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  7. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE (See below)
  8. [Officially Added Benefits] FREE NIGHTS AT AN IHG PROPERTY (capped at 70K points value)
  9. [Officially Added Benefits] HERTZ GOLD PLUS REWARDS PRESIDENTS' CIRCLE MEMBERSHIP

For all other Ambassadors, the new benefit starts on 1st MARCH 2019:
  1. GUARANTEED PLATINUM ELITE STATUS IN IHG REWARDS CLUB
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  3. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  4. WELCOME FRUIT PLATTER (instead of welcome fruits and gifts) <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  5. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR STAYS IN GREATER CHINA ONLY:
• One complimentary breakfast every night you stay
• 15% discount on restaurants and bars

AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GURANTEE work as bellow:
  1. Guaranteed Room Upgrade: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  2. 16:00 (4p.m.) Late Check-out: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  3. New Club InterContinental Lounge Access or alternative Club experience: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit of USD100 per night, not exceeding the Club InterContinental upgrade supplement value, applies to Royal Ambassador only.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Ambassador from 1st March 2019 (now confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
At first I wasn’t too bothered by the $50 per day minibar benefit, but after checking out of the IC DC Wharf today I’m thoroughly annoyed.

I consumed one beer ($8) and used the larger bottle of Tito’s vodka ($39). I thought I was within my $50 nightly allowance. When I checked out there were $63 in minibar charges. Not only do they charge inflated prices, but there is a 20% restocking fee (!!) along with taxes. So my $47 minibar consumption turned into $63 and they wanted me to pay the additional $13.

If other hotels follow suit, the minibar allowance effectively goes from $50 to about $38 which is ridiculous. I was at the IC NYC Barclay last week and the HALF bottle of champagne was $70.

I’m hoping that hotels will allow for $50 retail consumption, and will waive taxes and fees for RAs. Otherwise I’m changing programs next year. RA is no longer worth chasing.
Cielito_ likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
At first I wasn’t too bothered by the $50 per day minibar benefit, but after checking out of the IC DC Wharf today I’m thoroughly annoyed.

I consumed one beer ($8) and used the larger bottle of Tito’s vodka ($39). I thought I was within my $50 nightly allowance. When I checked out there were $63 in minibar charges. Not only do they charge inflated prices, but there is a 20% restocking fee (!!) along with taxes. So my $47 minibar consumption turned into $63 and they wanted me to pay the additional $13.

If other hotels follow suit, the minibar allowance effectively goes from $50 to about $38 which is ridiculous. I was at the IC NYC Barclay last week and the HALF bottle of champagne was $70.

I’m hoping that hotels will allow for $50 retail consumption, and will waive taxes and fees for RAs. Otherwise I’m changing programs next year. RA is no longer worth chasing.
In the new RA T&C, it does indicate the $50 minibar credit is inclusive of service charge and taxes. Yeah, not good.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Isn't the reason for the inflated prices of the minibar due to the costs of maintaining the product? Which would include the cost of restocking it already calculated into the prices. Otherwise, it's cheaper to use room service.

Last edited by Fanjet; Feb 7, 2019 at 8:40 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66

This is what I predicted in one of these threads. Especially for IC's in the USA. They have effectively eliminated the mini-bar benefit because it was all about stress-free consumption. They just added a lot of stress to their best customers. I'm sure they had their reasons, but those reasons don't appear to be well thought out from my perspective.
turner32 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
On the minibar - I've just finished a stay in Hong Kong. 5 nights - so a daily limit and maximum allowance applied.

It was one experience only, but it didn't seem like this new rule was easy for the staff at check out. The staff member had to bring out a minibar price list and do frantic manual maths on an actual calculator. (I don't mind rules being applied, but I really value a swift check out...this took 10 minutes).

I'm a regular guest at this property and don't really remember there being much fuss about minibar at checkout (previously as Ambassador). This time they were quite vigilant. And this is a property where there aren't really any large value items in the minibar - half bottles of wine being the most expensive.

There is an express check out at this property but I couldn't be bothered keeping a spreadsheet of my minibar consumption...what a bother. So I didn't want to chance a miscalcuation that would be very difficult to contest once I'd left the hotel.

When people sugested the accounting/policing of the US$50 allowance would cost more than the previous free bar, I wasn't sure.

Now I can see it might....certainly a lot of extra fuss for a potentially small saving, at least at some properties.
turner32 and cazane like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by DonPedro
On the minibar - I've just finished a stay in Hong Kong. 5 nights - so a daily limit and maximum allowance applied.

It was one experience only, but it didn't seem like this new rule was easy for the staff at check out. The staff member had to bring out a minibar price list and do frantic manual maths on an actual calculator. (I don't mind rules being applied, but I really value a swift check out...this took 10 minutes).

I'm a regular guest at this property and don't really remember there being much fuss about minibar at checkout (previously as Ambassador). This time they were quite vigilant. And this is a property where there aren't really any large value items in the minibar - half bottles of wine being the most expensive.

There is an express check out at this property but I couldn't be bothered keeping a spreadsheet of my minibar consumption...what a bother. So I didn't want to chance a miscalcuation that would be very difficult to contest once I'd left the hotel.

When people sugested the accounting/policing of the US$50 allowance would cost more than the previous free bar, I wasn't sure.

Now I can see it might....certainly a lot of extra fuss for a potentially small saving, at least at some properties.
Oh wow what a mess this mini bar benifit has become, to much hassel for sure
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
In general I was in favour of the new RA rules. Sure, I am a new RA but they still gave me what I wanted.

In cities where there is something nice to see from the window, I could expect an upgrade so I had that quality view (Paris, London PL, Budapest, Istanbul, 2 x Hong Kong, Sydney centre, perhaps Warsaw). As Ambassador I had to pay more to ensure the same upgrade.

Plus club - which in most of these cities, plus Montreal, Bangkok, Singapore and more - were great. In the past I paid more for those too.

(And by the way - I haven't ended up paying less per room as RA - the two level upgrade is enticing. Plus I am staying more often. So a win for IHG, I would say.)

Then, as I had understood the new T&Cs - where an IC had no club, there would be an "experience", or a US$100 F&B voucher. That was the icing on the cake. Perfect - I would at last stay at Amsterdam, Bordeaux, Marseille, Oporto etc. This benefit is still TBC, as far as I read in these forums. We/I can only hope, wait for 1 March.

But the fact is - I've tried SPG and Marriott, and dabbled with Hilton. None of these have the quality hotels I like in the cities I love. Paris - Hilton? Not great. Hong Kong? The Sheraton is in a great spot but actually pretends to be two hotels to prevent those booking lead in rooms from getting genuine club access. In Sydney the Sheraton is wonderful. But the two ICs are better I think - each in their own way. The Waldorf in Amsterdam is fantastic but wow it's not cheap.

Therefore (and I hope they haven't linked my username to my stay pattern) I will stay IHG, whether as Ambassador or RA. Just my thoughts!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by shoven
Oh wow what a mess this mini bar benifit has become, to much hassel for sure
The big picture is they have thrown out of the window a unique benefit to members, and a potent marketing proposition.

It has been replaced by complicated scheme that has potential for causing stress to guests and staff, and imposes an additional administrative burden on the creaky and costly minibar system.

Simply wiping minbar charges was a simple operation: totting up those charges against a daily allowance is time consuming and will inevitably fuel confrontation between staff and RA guests. The wider approach is "let it go" when any guest contests minibar charges: I'm guessing there'll be a lot more "letting go".

It's difficult to understand the motivation behind the move. Unless they believe there is a high opportunity cost involved (meaning the RA guest would have consumed the same whether free or at minibar prices), the old system offered a headline benefit for (relative) peanuts. Defining the cost of the benefit in terms of the minibar price-list demonstrates economic/accounting illiteracy.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: IHG

I predicted there would be nonsense upon checkout. What a ridiculous idea.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by turner32
I predicted there would be nonsense upon checkout. What a ridiculous idea.
And I am pretty sure we will get nonsenscial emails from the Phillipines on this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Originally Posted by ILS2
The whole minibar 'enhancement' is a huge fiasco for IHG / RA. For such a small cost (compared to many other potential top-tier benefits), it truly separated RA from the rest of the field. Free minibar - no questions.
If it is indeed the exemplified "minibar abusers" that has triggered this change, then enforcing the existing rules would have been more than sufficient to stop it. I quote from the current T&C:

"Beverages are complimentary from the mini-bar in the Royal Ambassador’s personal room only, and for in-room consumption by member only (benefit excludes non-beverage items)."

Simply put, if the empty bottles are nowhere to be found in the room, then the hotel has every right to charge the guest. Period. Obviously, I would assume that any hotel with a bit of 'fingerspitzengefühl' would look the other way for the occasional missing coke, beer, miniature vodka bottle etc. (who doesn't enjoy "one for the road" every now and then?), but cracking down on the obvious abuse would be easy enough. It would of course upset the guests in question (mostly because their behaviour has been exposed) - and perhaps even target some guests wrongfully - but overall the word would spread fast and the practice would cease to exist.

(Should have been) End of story.

Instead, they create a lot of unnecessary bureaucracy, for both the hotel and the guest. Plus they just couldn't control themselves when coming up with this 'masterplan'; they just had to implement a cost-cut with the USD 200 cap, which does nothing but to reveal the true nature of this 'enhancement'.

It will be interesting to see how each hotel decides to implement this rule. Will they turn to fine print and start charging for the excess coke (USD 3.50) or will they look the other way when the total minibar bill exceeds USD 300?

Time will tell.
Time sure started telling quickly.
(sorry for quoting myself, but I need to be able to celebrate the few times in life when I'm spot-on)
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by ILS2
Time sure started telling quickly.
(sorry for quoting myself, but I need to be able to celebrate the few times in life when I'm spot-on)
You were a little off on the cost of the Coke, though

In DC it was $7 for a MINI can.
FFlash likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Seems that they just bottled out scrapping the minibar benefit altogether. This residual token gesture is ridiculous and it would be better just to converge upon the Kimpton flexible credit model and have done with it.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Then, as I had understood the new T&Cs - where an IC had no club, there would be an "experience", or a US$100 F&B voucher. That was the icing on the cake. Perfect - I would at last stay at Amsterdam, Bordeaux, Marseille, Oporto etc. This benefit is still TBC, as far as I read in these forums. We/I can only hope, wait for 1 March.
Club Experience could be implemented(but not sure) but there is no $100 credit. There is only breakfast for two at hotels without club lounge. $100 is compensation only when you're not given club access where has a club lounge.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
A lot of HI's in France, and probably some other countries I can't recall right now, have free mini-bar in Executive rooms or any room that a Plat, or now Spire, occupies. The minibar is usually simple with two waters, flat and with gas, a coke, orange juice and maybe a beer. I guess IHG isn't ordering that those HI's eliminate that benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.