Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerTalker688786
Ambassador programme will change on 1st February 2019. This will start with Royal Ambassador's benefits. Then, all other Ambassador will have new benefits from 1st March 2019.

For Royal Ambassadors, the new benefits starts from 1st FEB 2019 will be:
  1. EARLY CHECK-IN from 10AM (instead of 8AM)
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY [CONFIRMED AS IN GREATER CHINA REGION ONLY, On 1st March, it seems IHG quietly made a U-turn again, now this benefit only APPLIES TO IC HOTELS IN MAINLAND CHINA ONLY, Hong Kong IC hotels are excluded on the last minute U-turn.]
  3. UP TO TWO COMPLIMENTARY FULL BREAKFASTS PER DAY IF THERE IS NO CLUB LOUNGE
  4. UPTO 50USD/200RMB/400HKD MINIBAR CREDIT PER DAY (200USD/800RMB/1600HKD PER STAY MAX)
  5. WAIVED DESTINATION/AMENITY FEES
  6. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  7. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE (See below)
  8. [Officially Added Benefits] FREE NIGHTS AT AN IHG PROPERTY (capped at 70K points value)
  9. [Officially Added Benefits] HERTZ GOLD PLUS REWARDS PRESIDENTS' CIRCLE MEMBERSHIP

For all other Ambassadors, the new benefit starts on 1st MARCH 2019:
  1. GUARANTEED PLATINUM ELITE STATUS IN IHG REWARDS CLUB
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  3. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  4. WELCOME FRUIT PLATTER (instead of welcome fruits and gifts) <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  5. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR STAYS IN GREATER CHINA ONLY:
• One complimentary breakfast every night you stay
• 15% discount on restaurants and bars

AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GURANTEE work as bellow:
  1. Guaranteed Room Upgrade: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  2. 16:00 (4p.m.) Late Check-out: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  3. New Club InterContinental Lounge Access or alternative Club experience: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit of USD100 per night, not exceeding the Club InterContinental upgrade supplement value, applies to Royal Ambassador only.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Ambassador from 1st March 2019 (now confirmed)

Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'd be happy is IHG handed out, say, 50,000 extra points to RA's to spend as they will. OK,
Even more points is hardly on the top of my wishlist.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
The RA freenight cert upto70k limit is probably just reflecting that the coming CC certs will be limit at 40k.

The announced points relignment (devaluation if you like) on 14th Jan 2019 is not creating cats > 70k, or creating any new 70k IC's

Plus if in future IHG creates 80k cat eg in Jan 2020, i am sure the RA freenight certs for feb2020 renewals will be for such higher 80k anyway

To be honest I'd prefer a 1-off 70k points bonus to my account as I can then get 2night weekend at 35k IC night in many locations
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by scubaccr
The RA freenight cert upto70k limit is probably just reflecting that the coming CC certs will be limit at 40k.

The announced points relignment (devaluation if you like) on 14th Jan 2019 is not creating cats > 70k, or creating any new 70k IC's

Plus if in future IHG creates 80k cat eg in Jan 2020, i am sure the RA freenight certs for feb2020 renewals will be for such higher 80k anyway

To be honest I'd prefer a 1-off 70k points bonus to my account as I can then get 2night weekend at 35k IC night in many locations
I don’t know, call me a skeptic, but I still feel like there’s no need to include such “limited to” language unless you’re planning on introducing something that it doesn’t apply to. Why not just say “free night at any property except X Y Z” instead? I suspect they decided introducing 80K after devaluing RA and generally making members irate is probably a step too far, so they did some minor alignments and are holding off the big one until this minibar and upgrade vagueness hoopla dies down.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by watery
I wonder if this means Amb is getting more costly to join/renew?
My renewal date is in February. Because I have already booked my BOGO for June, I wanted to renew and try to get the physical certificate instead. I just renewed and the $150 renewal fee said “until Jan 31,2019”. I also had the option to renew for $200 with the 10% back - which is the one that I always take. So, I was wondering f the price is changing of Feb 1.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I don't see ambassador going up in price. I believe that was already addressed when it was a no-brainer to buy/renew at 24,000 points (+rebates). They're the only ones charging for loyalty. I don't see them charging anymore. If they're poised for anything, it's to grow the heck out of their premium segment. I think the benefits of RA are really solid. I hope it becomes more attainable.

Properties above 70,000 points are coming. As much as we all don't want it, and think we deserve otherwise for whatever reason, it is a smart business decision. IHG is losing their ... on the "Bora Boras" of the rewards. Meanwhile, every night is always sold out. People would easily redeem more points. To keep in line of IHG point valuation, they could realistically double the cost of points. Even at 80k, it's still too low. As it stands today, you could buy the points for cheaper than it costs to pay for the room. It shouldn't be that way.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I don't see ambassador going up in price. I believe that was already addressed when it was a no-brainer to buy/renew at 24,000 points (+rebates). They're the only ones charging for loyalty. I don't see them charging anymore. If they're poised for anything, it's to grow the heck out of their premium segment. I think the benefits of RA are really solid. I hope it becomes more attainable.

Properties above 70,000 points are coming. As much as we all don't want it, and think we deserve otherwise for whatever reason, it is a smart business decision. IHG is losing their ... on the "Bora Boras" of the rewards. Meanwhile, every night is always sold out. People would easily redeem more points. To keep in line of IHG point valuation, they could realistically double the cost of points. Even at 80k, it's still too low. As it stands today, you could buy the points for cheaper than it costs to pay for the room. It shouldn't be that way.
Yes it should, because this isn’t a revenue program. It’s a loyalty program. The point is rewarding stays by allowing you to get “discounted” stays after accumulating points via normal spend. To suggest that Bora Bora should cost either $1,000 cash or 400,000 points per night (assuming a 4cpm valuation), or even some fraction that is “comparable in value” is simply wrong, because then we don’t really need to stay loyal anymore. I often choose to stay at more expensive properties that I’m loyal to because of aspirational awards and so on - if we base everything on cash values then I’ll vote with my cash too.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

Yes it should, because this isn’t a revenue program. It’s a loyalty program. The point is rewarding stays by allowing you to get “discounted” stays after accumulating points via normal spend. To suggest that Bora Bora should cost either $1,000 cash or 400,000 points per night (assuming a 4cpm valuation), or even some fraction that is “comparable in value” is simply wrong, because then we don’t really need to stay loyal anymore. I often choose to stay at more expensive properties that I’m loyal to because of aspirational awards and so on - if we base everything on cash values then I’ll vote with my cash too.
Is your definition of a "discounted stay" one that requires a company not only give you the points to pay for it, but to take half of the price off as well? If that's what you require for your "loyalty," you're going to be shown the door real quickly. I'm not quite sure where you are getting that I said Bora Bora should cost 400,000 points. As it stands now, when IHG has 100% bonus sales on points, you can buy 200,000 points for $1,000 which nearly gives you 3 nights, 4 if you have the IHG CC. In a cash equivalent of $1000, you would be able to pay for almost 1 1/2 nights. Why would anyone the pay cash rate? It is a nightmare trying to book reward room at Bora Bora. All you hear is why old CC card holders deserve it. Why everyone else deserves the lower rate. Basic supply and demand rules tell you 70k points is too cheap.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:25 am

Is your definition of a "discounted stay" one that requires a company not only give you the points to pay for it, but to take half of the price off as well? If that's what you require for your "loyalty," you're going to be shown the door real quickly. I'm not quite sure where you are getting that I said Bora Bora should cost 400,000 points. As it stands now, when IHG has 100% bonus sales on points, you can buy 200,000 points for $1,000 which nearly gives you 3 nights, 4 if you have the IHG CC. In a cash equivalent of $1000, you would be able to pay for almost 1 1/2 nights. Why would anyone the pay cash rate? It is a nightmare trying to book reward room at Bora Bora. All you hear is why old CC card holders deserve it. Why everyone else deserves the lower rate. Basic supply and demand rules tell you 70k points is too cheap.
My definition of a discounted stay is one that costs me less than if I were to pay cash. I got my numbers completely reversed, too, which is really dumb of me - but my argument remains. Even with the best bonuses IHG never sells for less than 0.4cpm, which means the most you’ll get for $1,000 is about 250K points - usually less. That’s 3 free nights at best with some points left over. Devaluing the program only brings the points rate closer to the cash rates, which isn’t right - remember that we don’t normally buy points, we earn them from stays, which means that we effectively pay hidden money to earn those points. So it’s completely wrong to say that IHG is giving us unreasonable discounts by allowing us to book heavily discounted nights - remember, we paid for these nights indirectly already, so this is the final outlay for us.

It’s like saying that airline miles should have a cash value for redemptions. Delta did it; how many people love their program now?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
UPDATE to my previous post: "Any guesses if the "waived destination/amenity fee" will apply to Alliance resorts, specifically Venetian/Palazzo in Vegas?'

I called Ambassador Services on 11 February and specifically asked if the waived destination/amenity fees for RA's applied to The Venetian/Palazzo. The agent put me on hold for several minutes and informed me that it does indeed include Alliance resorts. Of course, reading the updated T and C, there are clearly no exceptions stated either.

So, I booked a night at the Palazzo on 12 February using the Chase Card Free night certificate. The reservation showed no fees other than incidentals, etc. I checked in no problem. Upon reviewing my bill prior to checkout the $49 plus tax Resort Fee was added to my bill. I spoke with the representative at the Club Lounge, who insisted there was no waiver for the resort fee. He eventually agreed to remove it as a "one time courtesy" and said he'd elevate it to his manager. Sounds like they haven't gotten the latest memo on new policies. This may work itself out but beware when booking stays at these properties.

Interesting data point, their system only showed me as an Ambassador, rather than an RA. Another mystery of the IHG system...

Last edited by PremExecSNA; Feb 13, 2019 at 9:14 pm Reason: new information
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:57 am

Hi,
Currently not Ambassador however i'm thinking of upgrading as I have several hotel stays coming up and below will sway me one way or the other.

Does the Ambassador get you a early check in/check out in a Crown plaza hotel?
Also got a 3 night stay in a Kimpton in Miami therefore will they recognise it and will i get a room upgrade?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
Ambassador applies only to Intercontinental hotels. As it comes with IHG status you might get an upgrade based on that but it is not guaranteed
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: IHG RA, IHG IC, HH DM, MPC GM
depends on the property. Crown Plaza Amsterdam Schipol greet me as an Ambassador member and you get a glass of OJ and non Ambassador or Spire/Platinum members do not get OJ for breakfast if not an Ambassador.

if you are having 50-100 stays a year and value freshly squeezed OJ at 10euros a glass that is 500-1000 euros a year in value!
VaBeachGirl likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
Any guesses if the "waived destination/amenity fee" will apply to Alliance resorts, specifically Venetian/Palazzo in Vegas?
Definitely does not apply to Venetian/Palazzo. I had two stays there last year. Both times, no luck. I believe they even specifically call those two out somewhere in the terms.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: IHG RA, IHG IC, HH DM, MPC GM
The only Intercontinental resort I have been to is Intercontinental Huizhou and they don’t have destination or resort fees. If the Vegas ones cannot be waived then it does not make much sense in the benefit. Ihg should cover for those costs and it is unlikely a RA will have tones of stays in Vegas (from what I flread here it’s no more than 1-7 nights a year). How about we pay for resort fees as t is not waived for all anyway and get that complementary mini bar back!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Definitely does not apply to Venetian/Palazzo. I had two stays there last year. Both times, no luck. I believe they even specifically call those two out somewhere in the terms.
That was last year.
The waived amenity/destination/convenience fee benefit starts Feb 1st 2019.
Hoping it applies to those as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.